Russian SKS I Letter Original.

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OLD OUTLAW

Russian SKS I Letter Original.

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Just to show one of my nice Russian SKS Rifles. It is original and possibly an unissued one.
One of my most prized Russians. Built at the Tula Arsenal in 1956. These letter series were the last production runs we know of.
There are three series. The D looks on a rifle like an A with a hat on it. The K is shown as a K. The I is stamped as a backwards N.

If the pics do not come through, I will try again another way. Have not posted pics like this before here. Notice that all over this gun
the inspection stamps in the wood have broken the shellac, crystal clear, and not worn. Especially notice the stamps in the grip area
of the stock. All there and unworn. Very unusual to find this condition. Enjoy!
This rifle has the marks to look for when you want to buy an original Russian. Thank all of you for looking and if I can help on this forum topic, I sure will try to.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
desdem12

Re: Russian SKS I Letter Original.

Post by desdem12 »

Man that is soooo pretty. Have you shot it? I am not sure if i would. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Look at the color of that wood. That is gorgeous! I want one now lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Have not and will never shoot this one. The original owner who is an antique gun collector bought it when the Russians first arrived.
He said he bought one box of 20 rounds of some Russian ammo and fired it. Then put it in his safe for all these years. When I took
the gas tube off to inspect, it was full of grease and the powder residue from him shooting that box of ammo. The butt plate on this one is still
blued and has not one scratch or rub on it. Grease still around the screw heads. Beneath the stock it was still grease covered. This
may well be an unissued Russian. How many I letter guns like this are seen? Dunno, first I have seen myself. Fits right in with a few more
Russians I own Quality wise. I swear, at my age to be collecting SKS rifles, means they are contagious! I guess I am lucky my wife lets her husband have a hobby
to keep him occupied during retirement. She also helps me look for the real deals on GB. The steals are still out there on GB and you never know when one is going to pop up. Trick is to know what to look for in a collectable.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I am surprised at the grease, I bought my Russian SKS at that time and it was pretty clean, the Yugo on the other hand was a grease cake.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Very nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I am surprised at the grease, I bought my Russian SKS at that time and it was pretty clean, the Yugo on the other hand was a grease cake.
Most Russians actually did have little grease on the exterior. But, often had quite a bit in the gas tube. Same with other nations SKS in the tube. I only theorize that because the gas tube is the thinnest piece of metal on the gun they needed it protected above all other areas. The gas tube of any SKS is the weakest link to corrosion I believe. When I discuss grease on a Russian, I use that word because it is most always a thin layer. Far, far less than my Yugo M59's and my Romanians came in. ie: Grease Cakes.
Steve
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Nice Steve, very very nice. See now this is another area I'll be expanding into also. I love these guns. When my uncle gets the AKM down here to me I'll probably be on a kick to collect them too. I won't even go into the Garands. Love them but a bit expensive.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

WeldonHunter wrote:Nice steve, very very nice. See now this is another area I'll be expanding into also. I love these guns. When my uncle gets the AKM down here to me I'll probably be on a kick to collect them too. I won't even go into the Garands. Love them but a bit expensive.
If ya ever need a little help in finding a certain type or grade of Russian SKS Weldon, just let me know. Heck, I may even have one, who knows!
Steve
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Nice steve, very very nice. See now this is another area I'll be expanding into also. I love these guns. When my uncle gets the AKM down here to me I'll probably be on a kick to collect them too. I won't even go into the Garands. Love them but a bit expensive.
If ya ever need a little help in finding a certain type or grade of Russian SKS Weldon, just let me know. Heck, I may even have one, who knows!
Steve
I know so little about these I wouldn't know where to start. I just like them. Actually I like all firearms. Some more than others. They're such a great representation of man's ability to make such a technically perfect piece of machinery.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

I certainly agree Weldon! An SKS takes the lickin and keeps on tickin! :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Outlaw, that one is a beauty!!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

millman wrote:Outlaw, that one is a beauty!!
Thank You! I like this one. Never have seen an AB stock original or better I Letter gun except this one. I really do think it is an unissued one.
Sent some pics tonight to the guys who will know. I have a confirmed by major collectors 54 Unissued Izhevsk and this one is a possible also.
But do not know yet. Takes a lot of time to authenticate an SKS. I may post a few other of my rifles here over time. I like the easy going attitude of this forum.
It just seems that I am not the only older person on here. I belong to a couple of other forums, but I don't see the video mall ninjas on this one with their bubba guns. Pretty glad my friend the Moose recommended this place to me. Course, I will pick on him and give him a laugh or two now and then.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:I like the easy going attitude of this forum.
It just seems that I am not the only older person on here. I belong to a couple of other forums, but I don't see the video mall ninjas on this one with their bubba guns. Pretty glad my friend the Moose recommended this place to me...
Glad to have you here. It has been the mission from day one to have a laid back forum that promotes preservation.(The old, more flies with honey than vinegar thing) Dolk has done us all a great sevice by starting this forum up,and we admins are trying our best to keep it that way.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Really nice. I am starting to appreciate the SKS because it is one of the last unmodified battle rifles that you can buy.

BTW, if you get your C&R, join the Garrand collectors club for $25, you can buy a CMP Garand.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

polymerase2 wrote:Really nice. I am starting to appreciate the SKS because it is one of the last unmodified battle rifles that you can buy.

BTW, if you get your C&R, join the Garrand collectors club for $25, you can buy a CMP Garand.
No thanks on Garand. Had to carry one of those darn things too many years in the Army in very early 60"s. Would rather forget that ordeal. :D
I'm just a collector and shooter of the SKS rifles. Russians, Yugo, Chinese, and the beat up but very accurate Romanians.
Besides, an old guy like me does not do well with recoil. :D :D