SVT40 Markings

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Too Slow

SVT40 Markings

Post by Too Slow »

Howdy,

I bought this SVT40 several years ago at a gun show. It has more marks in the wood than I (in my limited experience) have seen before. Any info would be appreciated about the marks and the gun.

Thanks,
Too Slow

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: SVT40 Markings

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1941 Izhevsk, but like the Mosins 99.9% of the small markings are unknown, and likely inspection stamps. Nice SVT40 :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:1941 Izhevsk, but like the Mosins 99.9% of the small markings are unknown, and likely inspection stamps. Nice SVT40 :)
Izhevsk?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Seriously poor picture quality, but that rifle is made by Podolsk arsenal, not Izhevsk.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Kovrov arsenal. Nice pickup man. The rarer arsenal of all of them. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Correct, I can't remember for shit.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The rear part of the mark is faint or the picture doesn't show it good. I have not seen a kovrov here but there are a few Tulas at the gun shows. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

desdem12 wrote:Kovrov arsenal. Nice pickup man. The rarer arsenal of all of them. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
It's actually Podolsk arsenal. Not Kovrov as it has been thought to be. Kovrov did not manufacture any SVT-40s.
Too Slow

Post by Too Slow »

Thanks for the info guys. Got two answers as to the arsenal that made it. Which one is correct? Does anyone know how many were made by the correct arsenal?

Too Sow
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

SVT-40s were made by Tula (from fall 1941 to 1944 plant operated in Mednogorsk) , Izhevsk and Podolsk (plant no.460 to be exact). Kovrov did produce machine guns, aircraft cannons etc. but no SVT-40s. Misconseption probably begun from the similarities of the factory stamp. Podolsk produced SVT-40s only 1940-1941 as the factory was evaquated to Izhevsk October 1941. So the number of produced rifles by plant #460 is rather low.
Too Slow

Post by Too Slow »

Thank you for the info. Now I need a SVT38!
gurn

Post by gurn »

Very nice SVT! Now how does it shoot?
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Too Slow

Post by Too Slow »

Accuracy is acceptable, but recoils more than I expected for some reason. Disassembly is not a breeze, but is worth the fun of shooting it.

Too Slow
CommoMan

Post by CommoMan »

Too Slow wrote:Accuracy is acceptable, but recoils more than I expected for some reason. Disassembly is not a breeze, but is worth the fun of shooting it.

Too Slow
I think that the greater than expected perceived recoil is from the almost straight-line relationship of the barrel to the stock. The muzzle brake may also have something to do with it. The brake seemed to me to be more for eliminating muzzle rise than with limiting recoil to the rear.

I noticed that I did not have a problem with vertical stringing with my late SVT40 as I do with my M1.

And in spite of what anybody says, I claim that the SVT40 is a better weapon than the M1.
Too Slow

Post by Too Slow »

I agree about the break eliminating the rise. I have only fired it twice so I can't says it is better than a M1, but I will keep an open mind :)
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Bugelson wrote:SVT-40s were made by Tula (from fall 1941 to 1944 plant operated in Mednogorsk) , Izhevsk and Podolsk (plant no.460 to be exact). Kovrov did produce machine guns, aircraft cannons etc. but no SVT-40s. Misconseption probably begun from the similarities of the factory stamp. Podolsk produced SVT-40s only 1940-1941 as the factory was evaquated to Izhevsk October 1941. So the number of produced rifles by plant #460 is rather low.

OP-This is the correct information.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

CommoMan wrote:
Too Slow wrote:Accuracy is acceptable, but recoils more than I expected for some reason. Disassembly is not a breeze, but is worth the fun of shooting it.

Too Slow
"'I think that the greater than expected perceived recoil is from the almost straight-line relationship of the barrel to the stock. The muzzle brake may also have something to do with it. The brake seemed to me to be more for eliminating muzzle rise than with limiting recoil to the rear.

I noticed that I did not have a problem with vertical stringing with my late SVT40 as I do with my M1.

And in spite of what anybody says, I claim that the SVT40 is a better weapon than the M1"

Not even close, the SVT40 is an interesting historical curiosity, but it does not even come close to the M1 Garand.
Theodore Roosevelt
Too Slow

Post by Too Slow »

Thanks to all for the information.

Too Slow
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

The SVT40 did have a leg up on the garand in the magazine department, sure they are fragile but back then they could replace em quick. The Magazine of the Garand is a silly and overly complicated design. I find it amazing that such a clever guy as John Garand couldn't figure out how to implement a simpler style of magazine into the rifle, it took him over 10 years to design the gun the idea must of crossed his mind at some point. When the Japanese copied it the first thing they did was put in a clip fed magazine like the Arisaka. That is really my only beef with the M1, it is a rifleman's rifle that's for damn sure.

Everyone is finding SVT40s lately... I feel like I need to jump on the bandwagon.