Shell extraction question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
thediamondc

Shell extraction question

Post by thediamondc »

New to the forum here. I stumbled upon this website and have learned quite a bit here. I recently purchased a M44. I took it apart and cleaned it as suggested on this site. I was finally able to take it out and shoot it this past weekend. I was using bulk ammo (purchased from classic arms) which was supposedly from either Russia or Bulgaria. I shot roughly 100 rounds, and only about 1/3 of the spent shells were extracted when the bolt was pulled back to load a new one. I was wondering why some would extract and some wouldn't. My guess is that the extractor on the bolt head is worn and needs to be replaced. I just wanted to get some feedback before spending money on something I might not need. Thanks for the help.

Chris
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Shell extraction question

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sounds like the extractor is worn, or bent out too far, you could try bending it back in a tiny bit. It must be removed from the bolt head for this and they break very easily when being bent. Liberty tree has new ones, click the banner at the top of any board page for the link.
thediamondc

Re: Shell extraction question

Post by thediamondc »

That's kinda what I figured. Thanks for the reply.