SKS Broken stock fix ?

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jayrocka1200

SKS Broken stock fix ?

Post by jayrocka1200 »

I'm sure I could Google this but I would rather get some info. from you guys on the forum. I'm planning using the stock that came with my recently acquired Sks and have read numberous articles about epoxy, Acraglas and other methods like drilling the stock and putting a dowel in along with epoxy. I have the good solid thicker part of the stock to go through so I can drill through and go with the dowel method. I just have a few questions. What type of epoxy to use ? is the stuff I can pick up at Home Depot really that much different than Acraglas and what type of Dowel should be used ? Hardwood, softwood ? Metal dowel ? I wanna make sure I get this right the first time as this is the original stock to the rifle. Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: SKS Broken stock fix ?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Gorilla Glue? Hardwood.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

How broken is it jayrocka ? could you post some pictures and maybe one of us could walk you through it.
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

at work, I can post a better close up of the split later on, there is a general pic of it in another post of mine in this forum.

**I have also read that Gorilla GLue is not ideal because it expands when it dries
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Could be, wood repair is not my strong suit. There is Crazy glue for wood.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Gorilla glue needs two damp surfaces to work properly. I would go with wood glue,a wooden dowel and clamp it together over night.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

I've used Gorrilla on several stocks and on furniture. Never had to dampen any thing. But, Elmers wood glue with an off white color is what many professionals use. I have used it also. Can't remember the wording on that label at the moment. Just repaired a piece off the coffee table a few months ago.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

some pics of the stock, I really want to save it !
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I have repaired split wood with fiberglass resin, I only used the polyester resin part. It will flex slightly with the wood, soak in to the wood fibers and humidity/temp changes won't effect it. Only thing, I don't know how it would react to the stock finish, if cleaned off quickly, I wouldn't see an issue. When it sets, it will be strong and dries pretty clear. I would put thin coating in the crack, you will have some working time to get everything positioned correctly, then c-clamp it and let it set up for 24 hrs before unclamping. Clean up any that seeps out. The one rifle I didn't expect to hold up considering it was a wrist repair, it was splitting, is still to this day shooting, and has way recoil than any SKS, it's a .338 Win Mag :beek: Another fix was my Mas 36/51 handguard, it was in three pieces when I got it :vsad: .

Don't tell Celt, but I like the smell of the stuff, I hate body work, but love playing in the resin :lol:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A Bondo huffer? :)

I remember a lot of woodless Chinese military SKS rifles being around back in the day, I ended up with one that I later gifted to a friend in a plastic folding stock, all that was around at the time. The Chinese have a lack of decent hardwood to use in the stocks, we see this in the type 53's. I am considering a plastic Chinese stock from Liberty to replace that folder piece of shit.
Theodore Roosevelt
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:I've used Gorrilla on several stocks and on furniture. Never had to dampen any thing. But, Elmers wood glue with an off white color is what many professionals use. I have used it also. Can't remember the wording on that label at the moment. Just repaired a piece off the coffee table a few months ago.
I think it is Elmers wood working glue you are thinking about it is the yellowish colored one. But for long life I think a good Epoxy would be my choice. But the yellow Elmers is water proof after it dries but keep it clamped for a couple of day's if that is the one you go with. :2cents:
Celt

Post by Celt »

Greasemonkey wrote:I have repaired split wood with fiberglass resin, I only used the polyester resin part. It will flex slightly with the wood, soak in to the wood fibers and humidity/temp changes won't effect it. Only thing, I don't know how it would react to the stock finish, if cleaned off quickly, I wouldn't see an issue. When it sets, it will be strong and dries pretty clear. I would put thin coating in the crack, you will have some working time to get everything positioned correctly, then c-clamp it and let it set up for 24 hrs before unclamping. Clean up any that seeps out. The one rifle I didn't expect to hold up considering it was a wrist repair, it was splitting, is still to this day shooting, and has way recoil than any SKS, it's a .338 Win Mag :beek: Another fix was my Mas 36/51 handguard, it was in three pieces when I got it :vsad: .

Don't tell Celt, but I like the smell of the stuff, I hate body work, but love playing in the resin :lol:
:chuckles: :thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:no2: :no2: :no2:
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

I don't like the smell,i like the glass slivers! :o
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wait a minute, glass slivers in Bondo?
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Yes, but i was taking about fiber glass. Bondo does have some powdered glass in it. Its all bad shoot. Most every thing in the body shop attacks the nervous system or circulatory system....
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:A Bondo huffer? :)
Yea, had to give up huffing the diesel exhaust, the soot and carbon packed in there caused a mess during a spring allergy attack :big shock: :chuckles:
Celt wrote:Yes, but i was taking about fiber glass. Bondo does have some powdered glass in it. Its all bad shoot. Most every thing in the body shop attacks the nervous system or circulatory system....
Stuff we use to seal up wooden trailer floors, they throw in a reproductive system harm warning also :big shock: . Go to to work and be killed slowly :thumbsup:

The resin is about the same found in the little fiberglass repair kits sold at autoparts stores and such, different than Bondo, but they make a fiberglass kit. A friend who works in a boat shop uses a bunch of it to fix old wooden boats, seal and repair rotted transoms and repair hull damage. He told me about using it, so I gave it a go, it makes for a very strong, stable repair when used on wood.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

I went and looked at my Elmers. It is Elmers "Carpenter" glue. Shoot it in the split, then lightly clamp together. I'd let sit for 24+ hours.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Celt wrote:Yes, but i was taking about fiber glass. Bondo does have some powdered glass in it. Its all bad shoot. Most every thing in the body shop attacks the nervous system or circulatory system....
Someone once remarked to me that you rarely ever see an old Body and fender man...... :shock:
Theodore Roosevelt