(of the) World's Rarest Mausers

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

(of the) World's Rarest Mausers

Post by martin08 »

Here is an opportunity to showcase your firearm, if you are in possession of one of the World's Rarest Mausers (model, arsenal, year, markings). Feel free to add replies with pics and descriptions of yours. My first example follows:

A fellow on another forum revived a thread that I began last year on an FN-M1930 Mauser with Chinese markings that I found in a rural Maine gun shop. His questions caused me to contemplate further, so I began a search.

I did use the term "rarest" in the thread title, as there are few examples and very little information to be gleaned on the internet from the Chinese contract FN-M1930 (FN-30) with standard length receiver, the large and ornate Fabrique National logo, date stamped from 1938, and with the two-line FAB.NAT. D'ARMESdeGUERRE, HERSTAL BELGIQUE on the left side receiver. My best google-fu has come up with only five other references, besides my own, to this particular year and make. And I'm a pretty good googler.

I have not included book and periodical publications in my min-research effort, so please accept that my information is most certainly incomplete, and should be deemed as such. And as with all firearms, there are likely several times more examples in barns and closets, than can be confirmed and recorded in data tables - or internet threads, for that matter.

With all that prefaced:

Two examples of the 1938 stamped FN-30's are referenced as being observed in Mauser Military Rifles of the World, by Robert W.D. Ball, p.47. Both with serial numbers under 1000. Mine is clearly not in that serial number range, at 6375.

Mauser Military Rifles of the World - Robert W.D. Ball - Google Books

The other three references appear in forum posts, but without much detail, nor any pictures. The first mention is on what appears to be the defunct MilsurpArms forum, another on Calgun forums, and the last is on Gunboards. Serial number information is not available in these mentions.

2765-FN-Mauser | 19-Eastern-European
Belgian Mauser bring back - Calguns.net
FN Logo'd Mauser

And who knows if any of the references might be duplicate sightings? No way to tell, for sure. But suffice to say that possession of this particular model/year Mauser is very rarely mentioned on the web. So, unless there is any objection, I do declare the 1938 date stamped FN-30's as rare. Possibly, extremely rare.

For a side-bar, the following link is fantastic for Chinese Mauser stock brands/carvings/painted marks.

Chinese Origin Mauser Stock Engraving ID

Next, just a link that shows the FN-30 with the large logo, but not dated.

Fabrique Nationale de Herstal Mauser m1930 Chinese contract rifle - Maryland Shooters

Now, some more pics and observation of my particular gun. It's ratty. It has a Chinese bolt (not the teardrop FN bolt handle knob). I needed to drill the head off the rear action screw to gain access beneath the furniture (rear action bolt needed, BTW). Deep pitting on the receiver and chamber area will preclude me from ever daring to fire it, though the gritty bore that is pictured did clean up nicely and shows moderately sharp rifling. The Belgian proofs on both the receiver and barrel show scrubbing and re-stamping (?).

Criticisms, observations, commentary, and alternate opinions concerning my declaration are very welcome here, too. I am a serious collector of many lines of firearms, but I'm an extreme Mauser novice. So, I'm open for lessons, as well. As always, thanks for looking and reading.

ALSO! Post your rare Mauser here, if you wish.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: (of the) World's Rarest Mausers

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now that is one cool Mauser. Just think of what was going on in China when this rifle was first unboxed, the Japanese rampaging across the land, city after city falling to them, the year of the Yellow river flood. Then think of Europe that year, war clouds thickening, in two years the FN factory would be in Nazi hands. This is a rifle with real history in it, excellent presentation, thank you for sharing this. I have many Mauser's, some very nice ones, but none particularly rare. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

So this is different then the chiang kai shek mauser rifle? Very nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

desdem12 wrote:So this is different then the chiang kai shek mauser rifle? Very nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

The Chiang Kai Shek Mausers were Chinese knock-offs of the German K98 design. This one was built in Belgium.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Thanks for the clear up. :D there is a Chinese mauser at a store here. Has been there for a couple of years. Not sure but I think it is the chiang one.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Rangerflip

Post by Rangerflip »

Great pictures and one fine piece of history you have there, thank you for sharing with us. :Drool1: :thumbsup: :vcool:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Although it is a .22 Trainer it is a Mauser and there is a photo of one in Ball's Mauser book. I've only seen one other online so I guess it is at least somewhat rare. All matching.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Perfect example! Thanks for posting the Polish trainer.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Got some less common Mausers, folks? Post 'em if you got 'em!

Meanwhile....

The Mauser itself is not rare. Its a 1901 Swede Carl Gustafs M96, with non-matching bolt parts. But its last configuration, as a war-time M41 Sniper (not post-war M41B), sets it apart. The AGA m/42 optic is one of only thirty-nine recorded to remain in collections. Yet, unlike my extremely rare $175 FN-30 pictured above (one of five), this Swede Sniper would likely tip the scales past the $2500 mark. Go figure!

Anyway, some pics. And thanks for looking.

BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Damn Martin that is the sweetest Swede I've seen. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:cool: :cool: :cool:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Very nice rifles, guys. I have a few Mausers, but nothing rare.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Nice Swede M41 sniper. I have a few, IIRC a couple are scoped with the Swede M/42 scope, a couple with the M/44, and a couple are scopeless. I'm still looking for an original M41 (not the post-war M41B) with an unmodified Ajack scope, or at least a nice original Ajack scope and mount setup I can put on one of my scopeless M41 rifles.

But as we all know, the rarest Mausers are those ones from Don Mitchell's personal collection that Mitchell's Arms has for sale. They also have these incredibly rare Lugers ("The ONLY remaining ones in the world!") from Mitchell's collection. Mitchell's Mausers are so rare that they even have one of a kind Mauser 98k snipers from factories that never even made snipers! I know there are t hose buzzkill little naysayers out there who will insist that Mitchell's Mausers (and Mosins) are just humped up and faked Russian captures that "Dishonest Don" Mitchell is pimping off as real in a really sordid and sleazy attempt to cheat and defraud beginning collectors and those not familiar with these rifles. But hey, who are you going to believe - ignorant and hateful nerds like the worlds top authorities on these rifles, or Dirty Don Mitchell and his all knowing sales people?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mitchell is well known around here and any other place were real milsurp collectors gather. What we know about that product is unsavory at best.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Marcus wrote:Nice Swede M41 sniper. I have a few, IIRC a couple are scoped with the Swede M/42 scope, a couple with the M/44, and a couple are scopeless. I'm still looking for an original M41 (not the post-war M41B) with an unmodified Ajack scope, or at least a nice original Ajack scope and mount setup I can put on one of my scopeless M41 rifles.

But as we all know, the rarest Mausers are those ones from Don Mitchell's personal collection that Mitchell's Arms has for sale. They also have these incredibly rare Lugers ("The ONLY remaining ones in the world!") from Mitchell's collection. Mitchell's Mausers are so rare that they even have one of a kind Mauser 98k snipers from factories that never even made snipers! I know there are t hose buzzkill little naysayers out there who will insist that Mitchell's Mausers (and Mosins) are just humped up and faked Russian captures that "Dishonest Don" Mitchell is pimping off as real in a really sordid and sleazy attempt to cheat and defraud beginning collectors and those not familiar with these rifles. But hey, who are you going to believe - ignorant and hateful nerds like the worlds top authorities on these rifles, or Dirty Don Mitchell and his all knowing sales people?
Are you saying I got screwed when I bought that $300 Mosin accessory kit from him?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:big shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: :big shock: <-----You guys crack me up!!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Nice ones, Martin! I ran across a strange Mauser last fall that I believe was Belgian and fired a .30-06 round. I tried my google fu at the gun show, but wasn't having much luck. In hindsight, I kind of wish I would have bought it. The guy was asking $350.00 and I probably could have got him to drop $50.00 or so off that.

Cool looking Swede! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: