Best Mosin to use on a Drone

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TopperT

Best Mosin to use on a Drone

Post by TopperT »

I saw in the news tonight that our Atty General Eric Holder has not ruled out using Drone Attacks on American soil againt Americans :big shock: .

This made me consider that similar issues faced many who carried a Mosin Nagant into battle.......so, I wondered: :shifty:

Lets see your faced with a flying object (drone, saucer, Bi-plane etc) and all you have to defend your personal "airspace" is a trusty Mosin Nagant........which one do you go to?

I'm thinking my best shooter is a '41 SAKO, but I do like the lond barrel of my '42 TIKA M91........naw, I'm going with the SAKO. What about you?
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
hoshow

Re: Best Mosin to use on a Drone

Post by hoshow »

I am pulling out my M44 because if I miss the fireball may still get it :lol:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The first one I can grab. My favorite shooter is a '37 Tula 91/30 but it may not be the close one.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I am reaching for this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

hummmmmmm, the M44 eh?,well that there fireball thing is a solid reason to have that critter.......its gott disrupt the e-lec-tronic fields of them in-far-red ray gun thing them drones have............I don;t have a 'M 44 but I do have a M 38 and it too is some NASTY in the fireball area.....You have raised a great point.......but won;t we get our asses dusted when the heat seeking missels from the GD drone get sent our way? I'm no expert but I'm thinking the average fireball from a M44 or M38 ranks about the same as small atomic device (especially at night :beek: :beek: :beek: :beek: :beek: :big shock: :chuckles: )
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shotgun, same as on a bird.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Im pulling out Racers 50 caliber black rifle. :beek: :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

desdem12 wrote:Im pulling out Racers 50 caliber black rifle. :beek: :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :D :D

That may work. The blast is a little bigger than an M44. I've fired it offhand too. First time my fiance stood back and watched me shoot it she swore and said 'so that's what an EMP feels like' :lol: I shot it once at a LGS that has his shooting bench near his house. First shot rattled the dishes and his wife thought something outside blew up.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Depends upon the size of the drone, could be a 12 gauge shotgun, could be any of my MN 91/30's might even use an RC helicopter dragging a piece of lead weighted fishing line. :pointleft: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
VelocityKnives

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey,

McMillan .338 Lapua,,,,,,,, then when its down ill grab my fav 1943 91/30 and give it the end of its misery shot,,,,lol

AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin Counterbore
91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
.22 Ruger Mark 3 Slabside competition
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
Iver Johnson 16ga single shot Champion Model
SKS Chinese Security Force 7.62x39
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Dang Dave! What do you shoot with that? Chevy 350 engine blocks? :lol:

I guess that is one way to take out the competition on the track.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I'd always wanted a .50. No particular reason, except for fun. Theres a loooong shooting area back behind the house. 1200 yds or so, I haven't shot quite that far though. I did shoot on a 500 yard range in an informal match for fun. It drew a crowd. :)

Mine has a 26 inch barrel, the company actually made a ridiculous 16 inch carbine version.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Use one and/or all. Shotgun M38, 500 Smith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

It's not a Mosin, but does come from Russia :thumbsup: . I figure 20rds of 12ga alternating between slugs and buckshot might work :beek:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I was in the Air Force and I can tell you, you'd probably never see the drone and if you did there's nothing you own that could hit it.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

bocephus wrote:I was in the Air Force and I can tell you, you'd probably never see the drone and if you did there's nothing you own that could hit it.

I agree. I can't afford a MIG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNpABtIK ... ata_player
ivanthebear

Post by ivanthebear »

Don't have one, but a 91/30 with bayo attached might just reach it.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I bet you could do it with a WW2 flak gun if you knew it was up there.
fizzletron

Post by fizzletron »

I'm a computer programmer by profession, and I can tell you; if you're ambitious enough, you could write image-processing code to identify the drones for you, draw/highlight where they are "through the lense" atop an overlay within an operating system. For example:

- High-end wide-lense camera connected to a high-end computer (one of those gaming machines will do)
- Have a properly sighted Mosin, Flak-gun, etc (insert high-accuracy ballistics solution) mounted to (assuming self-built) & anchored well within a swivel platform
- High-end Range finder (or laser-based solution) with output which can connect to computer (to get our distance)
- Gear or hydraulic based pivot-system which is connected to the computer
- (the hardest part) An algorithm which properly calculates: ballistics trajectory in relation to target velocity, and an algorithm that pivots on all axes within our said platform in the proper scale of the calculations

Not to mention this algorithm will be processing images from a wide-lense camera, optimizing something like that would be a nightmare. However, if this could be designed, built, and implemented in under $3k you would have the cheapest anti-air ballistic Artifical Intelligence to date. If you wanted to be all the wiser you could image process with different means than a camera (sensors) to avoid light-pollution like smog or clouds...

This could be used to alert you on drones rather than aligning the shot for you (the latter would be easier for your life assurance, but harder to design and pay for, as well as vice-verca)

Like bocephus said, you're going to have a hell of a time spotting them. Might as well invest in image processing solutions.