LE Wilson 7.62x54r Case Gage

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
tdocz

LE Wilson 7.62x54r Case Gage

Post by tdocz »

Hi guys & gals,

I have been reloading 7.62x54R for about a 6 months now. It dawned on me that I don't have a cylindrical case gage for this caliber although I have several in other calibers, mostly from L.E. Wilson. I like to use them as a fast Go/No-Go reference for headspace and case length for newly sized brass. So I checked their website and even placed a call directly to their main office. To no avail. Evidently, LE Wilson doesn't currently manufacture a case gage for 7.62x54R. Moreover, they are a small company and don't have the capacity to do custom orders.

However, I was told by LE Wilson that they have had a few requests for this caliber in the past. Also, they told me that if demand were to become great enough they would consider adding 7.62x54R to their product line.

So here is my request: If you have an interest in a Wilson case gage in this caliber please, Please, PLease, PLEase, PLEAse, PLEASe, PLEASE contact LE Wilson by phone or email and request a case gage in this caliber. Maybe, we can drum up enough reloader interest to convince them to manufacture one. Thank you for your consideration of this humble request.

-Tony

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
"Let them eat cake..."
tdocz

Re: LE Wilson 7.62x54r Case Gage

Post by tdocz »

LE Wilson is located in Cashmere, WA. The office number is 509-782-1328. I sure hope we can convince them to do a small run of case gages. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
"Let them eat cake..."
kujuak

Post by kujuak »

I wonder if a group order of 20 or so might work? I'm in for one if that were the case.I'll give them a call tomorrow and keep the embers glowing.
crkline

Post by crkline »

I contacted LE Wilson by email and they indicated they have no interest.

I used some free CAD software online from a machine shop to define a gauge based off of CIP specs and additional research indicating that .254mm less than spec would be the minimum acceptable length of the brass.

I posted the file in this thread on another forum:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410794

I'm not terrible interested in a discussion over the merits of the gauge, use of the gauge, and I'm not selling the gauge. If anyone wants the e-machineshop CAD file they're welcome to it, the XML file is renamed to .txt and posted to one of the messages in the above thread. I've ordered a single Al gauge and I'll post results on the other forum when I receive it in a few weeks. It could be machined in stainless steel as well, but the cost is more - I'd be willing to participate in some sort of group buy to get the unit price down if others are interested. We'll have to see how well the Al version works first though.

During my web searches this was one of the forums I found where people seemed to be interested in such a thing.

Thanks.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Tony, I use a Wilson case guage for my 45acp. Before I bought it I was disassembling my Colt and using the barrel to make sure my loaded cartridges would fully fit the chamber so that the pistol would lock into battery after each shot. The 45acp headspaces on the mouth of the case. Since the 7.62x54r is a rimmed cartridge there is no reason for such a guage. All you need is a caliper or a oal length guage. I don't see the need for your request neither. Feel free to educate me further as to the benfits of such a tool.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/190644 ... ength-gage
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

I believe that reason for a case gage would be similar to the situation with belted cartridges. On the intial firing with a rimmed or belted cartridge the round headspaces on the rim. If not resized the case on subsequent firings will headspace on the shoulder. If cases are resized where the shoulder is pushed back excessively then the case headspaces on the rim or belt again. Each time this occurs the brass is stretched and will not last as long. With high powered belted magnum cartridges this will lead to case separation after only a few firings. Don't know if this is as much a concern with the 7.62x54R. Still reloadable brass is harder to come by and anything to increase brass life is good. In order to allow the fireformed brass to chamber easliy and not to overwork the brass most would advocate pushing the shoulder back 2 thousandths. Much easier to control with case gage. Check LE Wilson instructions for how to do this.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Or, just neck size only and allot the fire formed cases to the same rifle they were fired in. I knew a guy who did this and put the rifle ID info on the ammo box so no to mix them up.
crkline

Post by crkline »

Well, it finally arrived today. Unfortunately it is a little too tight - my resized brass doesn't fit in it nor do about half of the factory loaded Privi rounds I have.

I'll try polishing it. Not sure if there is any reliable way to remove a fractional millimeter diameter from around the base of the gauge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

crkline wrote:Well, it finally arrived today. Unfortunately it is a little too tight - my resized brass doesn't fit in it nor do about half of the factory loaded Privi rounds I have.

I'll try polishing it. Not sure if there is any reliable way to remove a fractional millimeter diameter from around the base of the gauge.
Just throwing this out there, how about lapping compound or JB Paste. :?:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't understand the purpose of this tool. What is it going to do for you?
crkline

Post by crkline »

The tool lets me very easily determine that my cases are consistent and will definitely chamber in any of my rifles. Rather than using calipers to check the length of the case I can drop the brass in and see it quickly.

Just helps try to make one more thing consistent while handloading, but allows me to do it much faster.