Latest Gunbroker Purchase

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Izhevsk762

Re: Latest Gunbroker Purchase

Post by Izhevsk762 »

BubbaDX wrote:The stock on this rifle is different than any others I have. It feels different, like dry or aged. It feels like a 100 year old piece of wood should feel I imagine.
It looks like it has the typical Finn applied finish...they do tend to look and feel a little dry.

The stock was captured by Germany during WW1...it is possible the whole rifle was, but we can only be certain the stock was because the Finns liked to mix and match parts.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Excelent rifle. I love the whole package! Great find.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

BubbaDX wrote:The stock on this rifle is different than any others I have. It feels different, like dry or aged. It feels like a 100 year old piece of wood should feel I imagine.
The Finn's used oil finishes for the stock, shellac is a furniture finish and tends to have that glossy look, oil finishes are flatter. If the finish looks 100 years old it's because it is :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Nice rifle, Great find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: I'm a Finn Fan
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

As promised, here are some pictures of the stock before I cleaned out the dirt.

Here you can see the date 1900 and the Izhevsk bow and arrow in the wood. This is a transfer from the bottom of the tang.
100_2892 (Small).jpg
100_2896 (Small).jpg
Inside the channel where the barrel and receiver rest, you can see the buildup of dirt and some kind of fibers, grass maybe.
100_2898 (Small).jpg
Once I removed the buttplate, I got to wondering if I should have left it in place. Here you can see where the top screw hole has been repaired. The screw is also longer than normal.
100_2900 (Small).jpg
100_2903 (Small).jpg
You can see the dirt ring where the rear barrel band rests on the wood. There was a light dusting of rust inside the barrel band. I think the accumulation of dirt was holding moisture.
100_2907 (Small).jpg
100_2913 (Small).jpg
100_2916 (Small).jpg
100_2918 (Small).jpg
100_2920 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

These next 3 pictures are related. These 3 parts line up when the rifle is assembled. You can see the rusted front sling escutcheon in the 2nd picture. This lines up with the rust spot on the barrel in the 3rd picture. In this first picture, you can see a buildup of something on the edge of the hand guard. This might be very old grease that has completely dried and stuck to the wood. It is stuck pretty good and hard as a rock, so I am leaving it there.
100_2930 (Small).jpg
100_2911 (Small).jpg
100_2937 (Small).jpg
100_2927 (Small).jpg
100_2928 (Small).jpg
This is probably the deepest spot of rust. I cleaned it with oil and a brass brush.
100_2932 (Small).jpg
100_2935 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt