Ammo for 50yd deer shot?

osyb

Re: Ammo for 50yd deer shot?

Post by osyb »

problem is messing with a group that big that's been drinking that long would be a rough enough crowd that I'd need a belt fed just for self defense. LOL Seriously though, they'll get theirs and I ain't gonna have to do a thing for it to happen either.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Like a local Bubba I knew, I considered ending his worthless existence on many occasions but self control got the better of me. His life went into a downward spiral that culminated in his arrest on the side of a North Carolina highway with a trunk full of guns and blow. He is still bordin' with the wardin' and will be for at least another three to five years. I am sure he has enjoyed the years of sodomy.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
osyb

Post by osyb »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Like a local Bubba I knew, I considered ending his worthless existence on many occasions but self control got the better of me. His life went into a downward spiral that culminated in his arrest on the side of a North Carolina highway with a trunk full of guns and blow. He is still bordin' with the wardin' and will be for at least another three to five years. I am sure he has enjoyed the years of sodomy.
yeah it sounds like we both know what goes around comes around. A lesson important enough you'd think more people would learn and follow it. Translating my last thought into a less profane statement - hand out dirt all your life and you'll never be handed a seed.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very true, that fella handed out a lot of dirt in his time, how he ever thought he could pull off being a drug kingpin is beyond me, but I am glad he gave it a shot :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
osyb

Post by osyb »

you can't fix stupid but with idiots like that, I'm not sure I'd even want to try
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

With that one it would be wasted effort, he sought ways to break bad.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That sounds terrible. I just moved from a place similar to that only my trouble was delinquint kids. I wanted to kill them but i decided like would do it for me pretty soon. Any body that is that stupid will not make it to an old age unless it is behind bars. I am happy to get away form them. I know that is not a solution for you but maybe these bums will trip up and nature will take care of it for you.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A good knife, at least one is important. I am not sure of the type of metal but a good schrade or old timer will do. If you need help sharpening then i would suggest a system like lansky. If you google it it should come up. There are others that are cheaper and may do just as good a job but this is the one i use. I sit at camp when not hunting or eating and sharpen my knives, which is a lot that i have accumilated. :lol: A 3 inch on is good for the hide cutting to begin with but a 6 inch skinner will pay for itself in the end also. I have no serated knives that i know of . :oji:
For gutting i just gut where it lands or close. Where i hunt it is in the mountains so there is junk everywhere (trees, down trees, rocks, dirt). It does help to have someone hold a leg for you but not neccessary. You have to get down and dirty and get right up in there and lean a leg on your shoulder if you have to. I think tha tafter a couple or three you will have no problem with the squimish part. Thge pee bag is whitish with a yellow tint and close to the rear. The poo bag is more like the stomach and the intestines and is not as trouble some.
The knife yo uget should be a full length steel with a handle that is comfortable. That can be most any kind. Gerber comes to mind. Not cheap but. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Alrighty then if you have any more questions i will be happy to help out. As far as the names of the meat i don't worry about it. Like i said if it looks like steak then i make it a steak. If you follow the natural folds in the meat then it is easier. Most of the rear leg on a deer is good as a steak or as jerky. I try to get all fat and grisle off when i cut them so as not to flavor the meat to bad. :D
osyb

Post by osyb »

desdem12 wrote:Any body that is that stupid will not make it to an old age unless it is behind bars.
I know you're talking about delinquent kids and all but the fact that this is a grown man with a son who's a deputy of the next county over and has every ability and intent to avoid any normal means of prosecution is just a swift kick in the nuts any way you look at it.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
osyb

Post by osyb »

@desdem12 - knives are kind of an unknown passion. I like them, I use them, I carry them. But I don't know anything about them including maintaining them or what makes a good knife. A good non folding 3-3.75" high quality blade with a comfortable wood handle is kinda what I've got in mind. A grippy rubber type grip is the only other option. I had a sharpening system in the past that had all kinds of attachments and weird cryptic directions that was honestly just too complicated for me. I'm not wanting a one sharpening kit for everything but I don't mind spending time to get a quality job done. I just want one foolproof system I can sit alone in my gun room with a setup and sharpen up my hunting knife to the safe sharp but durable angle designed for cutting meat. Just to show how little I know about sharpening knives. I don't know if a wetstone means that you have to keep it dripping wet or if water will ruin it or anywhere in between. And if it needs to be wet does it need water or oil? I'm not all that dumb about some things, I'm just straight stupid about this though. I don't expect the squeamish part to be an extended problem. As weird as it sounds, if I say a little thank you to the animal for giving it's life to feed me and my family then I think I'll be alright. Oh and I carry a gerber daily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burt Gummer is my hero!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As weird as it sounds, if I say a little thank you to the animal for giving it's life to feed me and my family then I think I'll be alright. Oh and I carry a gerber daily.

I believe that is an old Native American tradition, I forget what tribe.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A wet stone is just one that is wet when used. You can use oil or water. Back in the day they had whet wheel sharpeners that were like a large grinder that a guy sat at and the wheel was peddled and ran thru a trough of water. I would suggest going to the local sporting goods store and checking out what they have to offer for sharpening. Everybody likes some thing different. I have a few stones around but i am not the best stone guy so that is why i use the lansky as it sets the angle for you. You can't go wrong with the gerber knives. I have bone handle wood handle and rubber handle knives but the rubber handle one is a skinner and it is comfortable. :D
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

A couple of thoughts:

A pair of glasses will be more useful than that jury rigged scope set up and probably less expensive as long as you get "basic" glasses. A 50 yard shot should not require a scope unless you are really "optically challenged" and if your vision is that bad,are you sure you want to go hunting to begin with?

Military Ball Ammunition is usually illegal to hunt with. Check with your state and local regulationsn through the DNR. You may be in a shotgun only zone.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The basic glasses are less than $20 at the drug store here. They have a chart to help you select a pair.
Theodore Roosevelt
osyb

Post by osyb »

The only need I have for a scope is to add night shooting capabilities to the rifle. I would obviously benefit from a 2x or 3x magnification but any more than that would be a hindrance at 50yds.

I do benefit from wearing glasses, I never do though. My sight isn't bad enough to require correction to drive so I haven't even had a set of glasses that were a right enough prescription to help without giving me a migraine in years.
Burt Gummer is my hero!