1916 Izhevsk Finnish Dragoon

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1916 Izhevsk Finnish Dragoon

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

:Drool1: :thumbsup:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Like it a lot BD, Czarist era Dragoons are not very easy to find. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

WOW!!! Beautiful rifle BD!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Talvisota ( the Winter War) is the one to see, I could only find the Finnish with Russian translation up on youtube, no subtitles, but there is an English subtitled version available on Amazon
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is the best version out on DVD that will play in the US.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Stopsign32v wrote:Stunning Dragoon!!!!

Where can I learn more about the Finnish/Russian conflicts in WWI and WWII? Videos? YouTube? Books?
You can start with Wikipedia about the Finnish-SOVIET conflicts. It has good articles on the Winter War and the Continuation War.

In WWI there was no Finnish-Russian conflict, but the Finnish Civil War took place during the WWI after Finland became independent from the Soviet-Russia. Wikipedia has good article on that too.

And about the film Winter War make sure you acquire the full 4,5 hour version.

Ps. The doc JYD posted makes me always laugh at the point where the old lady tells about Finnish soldiers killing Soviets with puukko-knife because there was no ammo!! :)

But in general and othervise than that it's a pretty good doc and introduction to Winter War.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At least the knife is something one would recognize as a weapon, but many a soldier had his brains bashed out with entrenching tools, was burned to death with Molotov cocktails, clubbed to death with an empty rifle, or just simply beaten to death with bare hands once the ammo ran out. In that situation everything goes.
That Korean market version I put in the Amazon link it the longest I have yet found available in the US, that will play on our DVD players. I think there was a longer version on youtube last year, probably uploaded from Finland, but it seems to be gone now.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:At least the knife is something one would recognize as a weapon, but many a soldier had his brains bashed out with entrenching tools, was burned to death with Molotov cocktails, clubbed to death with an empty rifle, or just simply beaten to death with bare hands once the ammo ran out. In that situation everything goes.
Well yeah CQC with melee and ad-hoq melee weaponry ain't pretty. And for sure puukko-knives were popular and handy in CQC, more popular than bayonets.

But the old lady just puts it like it was a rule of thumb to kill Soviets most and above all with puukko-knives as there was no ammo. That was hardly the case! :)

That was my point, if there was such a thing in my post. :)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The shovel. Who posted a SA shovel here on the forum? I can't remember, but one of our Finn collectors. I often wondered how many souls were connected to that shovel.
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Beauty! What a honey-bun!
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Stopsign32v wrote:So my PTG rifle that was Austrian captured and the Finnish captured...what would the story be behind that if there was no Finnish conflict in WWI? Also how did the NEW M91s get in Finnish hands?

<confused
Read the Finnish Civil War article from Wikipedia. It'll help you to start to understand. Knowing the history is the key here.

Austrian captured rifles in the WWI and sold them to Finland during 1920s.

Many of the late NEWs and 1917 Remingtons were bolshevik weapons aid to Finnish Red Guards. Those came brand new from Petrograd Arsenal. I have one Remington like that. It's still pretty much in same condition as it was in February 1918 when it came to Finland.