Calling all fisherman!

SA1911a1

Re: Calling all fisherman!

Post by SA1911a1 »

I fish with a 10' "Bream-Buster" with 6# test line and a number 7 long-shank hook, one or two BB split shot, a light cork, and bait with a cricket or a red wiggler. A 12 0z. panfish will give you a fun fight and the beginning of a good supper. The whole outfit cost under $20.00. I usually paddle the 12' aluminum boat with one hand and fish with the other. (trolling motors disturb the fish) While many bass fishermen are riding all over the lake, at 50 mph, in their $20,000 bass boats, drinking beer and complaining about the fish not biting, I am in a quite corner, pitching crickets up under the willows and loading the boat with delectable pan fish.

Catching catfish on a reel is fun, catching bass on a light rig is fun, deep sea fishing is too much like work to me, flats fishing is too hit or miss. I have done all of them, but none can compare to bream fishing. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

It think Ive tried casting but I never had any luck with it. The few places I have fished there is primarily catfish so they stay a bit deeper. The ones we caught we with a bobber with the depth set around 3ft and nightcrawlers. I've been thinking about trying to dig up some worms in the backyard to see if I can get something off them. I've been thinking about trying the bottom of the lake to see what I can get but I haven't really done that much. Might try it again just to see. Should be interesting haha.

Sa1911a1 thanks for the info. There are supposed to be bream in the lake we are going too but I don't think I've seen them. Mainly catfish. I would love to get a boat someday. Just a little flatbottom or something to get in places you can't from the shore.

I hope we are lucky because I would love to cook up some catfish soon. My wife hates fish so that probably means more for me :D
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have to second Rob's suggestion of Shimano reels. Their mid grade Spinning reels (Spirex or the next couple of models up) , are very good. My Spirex is !9 years old and still works great. It would take a large truck to haul all of the fish it has pulled in. I am not so hung up on rods. I usually try to get the best spinning one Wallyworld has at the time. The last one I got was a Berkely something. It is red, and seems fine to me. I prefer rods from 6-7 feet in length, but that is just personal preference. Happy fishing!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Celt

Post by Celt »

+3 on
Shimano Reels
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'll give them a look. They seem to have some good affordable options. :thumbsup:

Might go to academy tonight and see what I can see :shifty:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

For bait casting take a look at Shimano's open faced mid priced reels. I far prefer open faced reels for casting, then enclosed reels. Anything gets tangled,its a far easier fix. For line I like spider wire, its tensil strength is far above its line size and is a little added insurance for unexpected big fish! :wink: I run a 6lb. spider wire on one of my reels and on Wyatts, and my spare rod and reel has 12lb. line, just in case big fish get common that day. When specifically fishing Northern Pike or Muskie, I run 16lb line with a steel leader, and take my jaw spreaders. When your catcing big ones, you do not want hour hand in their mouth. :beek:

Let us know what you end up with and am glad to be of help!

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks Rob! I'm hoping to see something of my liking tonight and maybe be able to use it this weekend. At the very least I would like to replace the line that came with the reel.

I'll keep yall updated :)

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Someone above mentioned spiderwire. I like their mono, but I avoid the braided stuff. It is too strong. Nice on a big fish, but no good when you get snagged. I have heard of stripped reel gears from that stuff. YMMV.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Well I am back :). I got a reel and some new line. I'm out with the pup so I'll have to take pics when I get back in.

I hope I did well on the decision. I ended up getting a shimano sonora. The line is the spiderwire 10lb stealth braid. I guess I'll see how the line does. I got to see the reel and play with it before picking one. It was nice and was a good balance of afforability and quality. I hope I did well. Only time will tell I guess.

On a side note. I also got some .223 ammo and some 00 buckshot :D, and spent far too much :lol:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That should be a fine reel. Nice.

C. S. Lewis
Celt

Post by Celt »

:thumbsup:
FISH ON!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks guys. I hope it gives me years of tasty fish :D. I guess I'll see how the line does. If it doesn't work out then live and learn I guess. Its very thin stuff. 10lb line but with the diameter of 3lb line. Thats crazy haha. guess if I knew that then I could have bumped it up a tad, but it should be ok. Got to string her up now :)

Pics

The line, color is moss green

The reel

Looks pretty good on the ugly stick :D

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Celt

Post by Celt »

Hey! That's where my pole went!

Sweet set up!
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mosin430

Post by mosin430 »

What size ugly stick is that?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Its a 5' 10" medium action. Says for 6-15lb line. I got in a combo set as a gift from my wife for a birthday present last year. Funny that the reel is part of my present this year haha.

It is now strung up. I found it hard to tell how much I put on lol. With the smaller diameter line it took alot of line haha.
Last edited by ponycarman on Thu May 23, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Aircooled

Post by Aircooled »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I like the dynamite in the water way, but NYS won't let me play with explosives.
Yeah, and they won't let ya bring a mosin fishing up here, either. {Damn laws} 150 LBS muskie burst out laughing at spider wire. :chuckles:
mosin430

Post by mosin430 »

ponycarman wrote:Its a 5' 10" medium action. Says for 6-15lb line. I got in a combo set as a gift from my wife for a birthday present last year. Funny that the reel is part of my present this year haha.

It is now strung up. I found it hard to tell how much I put on lol. With the smaller diameter line it took alot of line haha.
thats the same size as my bass ugly stick I have a penn 440ss on it and its the best bass pole ive ever had

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've used an Ugly Stick ultra lite set-up for years. Makes every bluegill feel like a lunker. :)
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Aircooled wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I like the dynamite in the water way, but NYS won't let me play with explosives.
Yeah, and they won't let ya bring a mosin fishing up here, either. {Damn laws} 150 LBS muskie burst out laughing at spider wire. :chuckles:
:lol: :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt