Latest Gunbroker Purchase

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Themosinkid95

Re: Latest Gunbroker Purchase

Post by Themosinkid95 »

Very nice
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
evildog

Post by evildog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I got my tracking number today. It's being delivered USPS with an expected delivery date of next Monday. I might see if I can leave work early so I can be here when the postman arrives with my package.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Leaving work early to feed your addiction - a sure sign of Mosinitis. :)
You did good - nice rifle.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Great looking rifle. Great buy. :D :D I'm a Finn Fan too! :vcool: My best two are Finns.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice job Bubba :vcool: :vcool:
entropy

Post by entropy »

8-) :vcool: :vcool: 8-) :vcool: :vcool:

Nice!
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Today was one of the longest days of my life. I didn't think the mail courier was ever going to get here. But she finally made it with my M95. Here are a couple pictures, I need help deciphering a couple of them.

This is probably the coolest stamp on the stock. I have no clue what this stamp is. The top of the text looks to be DEUTCHES but I cannot make out the bottom. Anyone know the significance of this cartouche?

Edit - Found this description for this stock cartouche: "German Deutsches Reich property mark, WWI Stock"

Does that mean this rifle or atleast the stock was in Germany's hands during WWI?
100_2874 (Small).jpg
This side of the stock has a serial number
100_2880 (Small).jpg
Right here is something I was curious about from the pictures the seller sent me but I could not make it out. It looks to be a wooden cross bolt that was drilled and replaced with a metal cross bolt.
100_2877 (Small).jpg
This is a shot of the top of the receiver. You can barely make out the emblem
100_2888 (Small).jpg
Sorry for the crappy picture of the barrel. I was in a little bit of a hurry.
100_2889 (Small).jpg
And a picture of the importers mark. It reads M91 FINLAND 7.62x54R C.A.I. ST. ALB VT
100_2882 (Small).jpg
Here is a link to the Gunbroker add where I purchased this.
Finnish Mosin Nagant 7.62.x54 dated 1900
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, at some point the Germans captured the rifle and reissued it to rear area troops. Nice :)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice. Extra bonus stuff on it. Nice cartouches :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I pulled the stock off to have a look at the metal under the wood line. It looks surprisingly good. The tang date is 1900. There is a little rust and a little pitting in a spot or two. There is some old oil on the trigger parts that looks like old motor oil. This weekend I will completely disassemble and clean all the pieces.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Motor oil was commonly used by many army's, must be fairly recent if it's still liquid.
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

:Drool1: :Drool1:

Nice find. I don't have a Finn yet but I am always looking at shows and shops. Usually want a lot for them.
You did good. :thumbsup:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Motor oil was commonly used by many army's, must be fairly recent if it's still liquid.

Or old grease that they loved that has broken down and separated from the parafin part of the grease and broken down with age and heat of storage. The scrubbing of the barrel marks says Balkan especially with the cleaning rod being missing. That is one of the cleanest Deutsches Reich marks I have ever seen. The wooden cross bolt replaced by the steel one says you have an older stock there too. Finnish built parts gun more than likely as they never threw anything away! You should check under the butt plate for a date stamping! Just two years short of being an antique. That old rifle has been around an seen alot you can bet on that. I love those older parts rifles as they tell so much history and just ooze neatness! If I could only collect one kind of rifle it would be those. Great price and neat rifle and I especially repeat my comment about the stock being worth that much because that is sure a neat old stock after seeing the pictures! Congrats again! I love that thing! Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Someplace I read a description of the Russians using motor oil that was cut with gasoline, must have made the rifles smell real nice.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I finally got around to starting the job of cleaning this baby. It's really not that filthy, but what grease that was left has dried to a hard flaky substance that does not want to come off the metal. I finished trashing my plastic picks scraping at it but I finally got most of it off. There was also a couple spots of rust under the wood line. Most of them came off with just some Hoppes on a rag. A couple spots benefited from a little scrubbing with a brass brush. The inside of the stock is dirty but not really that greasy or muddy. Ill take a couple pictures it before I wipe out the dirt. One really cool feature in the stock is the Izhevsk logo and the 1900 date from the bottom of the tang are imprinted into the wood. Pretty cool, they have been mated together for quite a while. If it's rainy tomorrow like they are saying, maybe ill have it cleaned up and take some pictures.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most of these rifles have been sitting in storage since the Truman era, longer than many members here have even been alive. Long enough to start turning grease into stone.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

That's a nice looking M91!
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

The stock on this rifle is different than any others I have. It feels different, like dry or aged. It feels like a 100 year old piece of wood should feel I imagine.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus