Glock 27 for Ruger Super Blackhawk trade

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
sbkittrell

Glock 27 for Ruger Super Blackhawk trade

Post by sbkittrell »

I traded my Glock 27 today for a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. Nothing wrong with the Glock, it's a fine firearm, but I never really liked it because it was just too small for my hand. When I initially discussed the trade with my friend, he didn't have the revolver with him and couldn't remember if it was the old 3 screw or one of the newer Super Blackhawks with the transfer bar. It's the SBH. So I made the trade and we each fired a few rounds with our respective "new" sidearms. I had shot this very same revolver years and years ago when my friend first got it. When I shot it today the recoil wasn't as much as I remembered. To make a long story short I am very pleased with the trade and so is my buddy. Win/win. He also gave me a nice Western rig gunbelt with .44 cartridge loops, but the holster he had with it was a Hunters style that is way too small for this revolver. I do have an old crossdraw western style holster that it will fit in, but I will need to get a proper holster for it. Here's a few pictures, not that you guys haven't ever seen a Ruger SBH before, but I had to post them because this one is mine.

Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
JoeR

Re: Glock 27 for Ruger Super Blackhawk trade

Post by JoeR »

If both parties are happy and they are, that's an awesome deal.
Congrats Mr. Callahan :lol:

Sorry I had to say that or be the first to say it. 8-)
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Upon engaging my pea sized brain, I think my brother has a classic single action .357 Ruger BH. I shot a .44 mag once, forgot what it was other than purdy and loud. :chuckles:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

SB, that was a fine trade. I would have made that trade in a heartbeat. That revolver looks like it's been taken great care of too. And the beautiful grips are a plus. What ammo were you shooting? 240 Gr powerhouse rounds? For economical shooting some reduced load lead bullets can make for a good time, as 44 mag is pushing 35.00 a box these days. Every now and then you find a deal on a old model 3 screw but lately they have been getting good money, but Glocks are everywhere.
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

bunkysdad wrote:SB, that was a fine trade. I would have made that trade in a heartbeat. That revolver looks like it's been taken great care of too. And the beautiful grips are a plus. What ammo were you shooting? 240 Gr powerhouse rounds? For economical shooting some reduced load lead bullets can make for a good time, as 44 mag is pushing 35.00 a box these days. Every now and then you find a deal on a old model 3 screw but lately they have been getting good money, but Glocks are everywhere.
Thanks. To be honest, I'm not sure what loads I was shooting. The ammo was some that had been left in the cartridge holders for years to the point they had green verdigris on them. They were SJ solids, with "MRP" marked on them. He also gave me six Federal Hydro Shok 240 jhp, but I didn't shoot those.

And as far as condition, yes it is in very good shape. The guy I got it from is obsessive compulsive about cleaning and oiling his stuff, so the gun has been cared for a lot better than that belt and those cartridges that were in the loops. There is some slight wear at the muzzle where the bluing has worn a little, and some wear on the backstrap, but other than that, the finish is in great shape considering it's age. The rifling looks extremely good too.
Last edited by sbkittrell on Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice :) Beautiful bluing job on that one :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

I just ordered this Safariland Lined Holster New Frontier from Ebay for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160793838829?ss ... 500wt_1202. The belt I got with the gun is a drop rig type with cartridge loops, but I think this holster will work fine with it. I could only buckle it on the last notch, so it's currently at the shoe repair shop getting extended so it will fit around my fat belly a little better.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good secure holster for it, I need to get a new belt, the thing shrank while stored away. yea, that's it, it shrank :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice pistol SB :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Never get tired of looking at the RSBH. I remember an old guy once told me at deer camp, he had a Ruger SBH 44. he said BOY, Meet EF Hutton. I said WOW thats cool EF Hutton , Wasnt he a investment broker in the 70's ? He said Yep and when EF Hutton talks people listen :lol: Ill never forget that. So now you have a name for your new gun. and a story to go with it. :D
Ranger1968

Post by Ranger1968 »

That was a great trade; you definitely got the better end of that deal.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Everybody knows that Bill Ruger had the 1873 Colt in mind when he designed his Blackhawk, an upgrade on the Colt. As such it's entitled to the same name the Colt wore for many years " peacemaker" Because when I get done with it everything is quiet, and peaceful :)
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Good secure holster for it, I need to get a new belt, the thing shrank while stored away. yea, that's it, it shrank :)

JYD you think storage is bad on shrinking things, I have had the dryer shrink clothes, belts, and even rings so be careful out there when using the seemingly innocent dryer. :biggrin: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

I've done some research and found out some cool stuff about this SBH. While checking out the internet for Ruger SBH information, I came across this site from Ruger that lists the Serial Numbers/Dates of Manufacture: http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#

I also have read that the year of manufacture for the redesigned "New Model" SBH is 1974 and the first SN listed on this site is 81-12401: http://www.ruger.com/service/productHis ... awk44.html The "Old Model" SBH was discontinued in February of 1973 with the last listed SN being 80-57651 http://www.ruger.com/service/productHis ... Bhawk.html.

So the point of all this is that this SBH is definately a "New Model" because it is a two pin rather than three screw, and opening the loading gate allows the cylinder to rotate. But the cool thing (to me) is that the Serial # on this one is 81-119XX, which indicates that this one is one of the first "batch", manufactured in 1973, after Ruger stopped production of the "old Model" in Feb. of that year. The cylinder on this one is recessed with a firing pin groove, because it's actually one of the "Old Model" cylinders. This one also has an "Old Model" smooth trigger rather than the "New Model" grooved trigger.

I thought that was cool, so I wanted to share it.
Last edited by sbkittrell on Sun May 06, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool, right on the line between old and new. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
swoop85

Post by swoop85 »

I love my Glocks.... but that is a beautiful wheelgun :mrgreen: !!
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

I ordered a Safariland New Frontier holster off of Ebay Saturday night and got it today. That's really fast delivery all the way from Washington State. I really like this holster.

JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Damn nice looking rig you have there. Who doesn't appreciate a fine hog leg. :)
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I got a Glock 22 .40 yesterday.. It's a cop trade in and like new. His duty was at the State Capitol so I wonder how many rounds have been through it. It came with the hard case and all the paperwork ( unopened even) I couldn't even smell a trace of gun powder so it was well cared for or not shot in a long time. The price was very good, almost worth bragging about until my FFL guy hit me with the sales tax :lol: Still a good deal and his transfer fee was only $20.

After seeing the pics of the Ruger I'm going to ask my brother if he'll sell his old .357 Blackhawk. Got nothing to lose by asking huh? :twisted:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I would have done the same damn thing. Sweet Blackhawk!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"