Doing some Dog Hunting

Piwo

Doing some Dog Hunting

Post by Piwo »

Hey Fella's,
Been doing some Dog hunting this spring and actually had a little success@ I don't get out but about once a month, but had a good February and March! Was hunting with Stella, my Mini-14 with EOTECH gun site sitting on top.....

February 19, Dog 1
This dog came bounding in with purpose, only to cross over my tracks where I walked in. He immediately hit the afterburners and was a southbound fur rocket. Didn't have time to set anything up, just put the dog in the middle of the 65 MOA circle and pulled the trigger. Head over heals, down!
coyote 2012_1B.jpg
Dog2 was sneaking up and the leaves gave him away. I thought he was circling all the way around me so I swung the rifle over and was ready for a "left handed" shot when the son of a gun pops up off to my right. Fortunately there was brush to my right and I was able to twist my body back around so that the rifle was pointing into the pasture and not the woods to my back. He dropped strait down in a ball, done as dinner.
2nd dog as it laid.jpg
Piwo and the mutt
2nd dog modified.jpg
Anyway, it's been a lot of fun, now I need a gunsmith to build me a barrel extension for my threaded Saiga 12 shotgun. Any recommendations, volunteers??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So how many Divisions does this Pope have? - Josef Stalin

Be yourself: everyone else is already taken...........
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Doing some Dog Hunting

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good shot on both of them, they are becoming a little to numerous around here, DEP introduced them 12 years or so back to control the deer population and they are protected. Not protected from cars, one was taken out last year just down the road, it stank the place up for over a week.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
avenger

Post by avenger »

Nice :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Here you can hunt em...would be fun with an AK....hmmm :roll: :lol: :lol: I would not go out by myself though..ive never actually hunted anything before...
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They are not protected here at all. Way to many of them. Got one that comes around here at night, he gonna get it one night here soon. I would not worry about a little ol coyote avenger. They will run off if they see or smell you. Now run into some of the wolfs here and that is a different story. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Here the bastards hunt in packs, kill mostly pets, and went after a kid recently. One of my wild cats is missing, possibly two, my crystal ball tells me one or more Coyotes may soon meet with an unfortunate accident, shit happens.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Piwo

Post by Piwo »

They are a menace in most places because quite frankly they've been artificially piled to the top of the wild "food chain". Certainly not in the west, where bears and mountain lions and wolves see to that. And yes MO has some bears, and we do have some mountain lions, but they are very small in number. Coyote's are not: and nothing bothers them but people with rifles (and shotguns :lol: ). They have of course incredible sense of smell and to hunt them requires strict adherence to wind direction scent control. You'll never fool a dog’s nose, but don't need to help them out. Many times deer seem oblivious: a dog is never.... As stated they won't bother you, they'll just run like fur rockets if they get a whiff.

It's a great sport. Calling in a predator is a challenge, with a personal reward that's addictive, to me anyway. GO out and GET SOME!!!
8-)

avenger

Post by avenger »

Do you use the fur for something or just do it for fun? :mrgreen:
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
Piwo

Post by Piwo »

avenger wrote:Do you use the fur for something or just do it for fun? :mrgreen:
Neither, I do it for REVENGE!! :chuckles:

They have been committing "bambi-side" on the farm I have permission to hunt in a huge way, so the owner and I have decided on a take no prisoner's approach. I do keep one "canine" tooth from each I get: make me joe boo neklace or something! :o :lol: actually I'll eventually make some sort of decoration so when I put my tipi up it will have something that looks "earthy" inside...........

avenger

Post by avenger »

I kinda wanna try it sometime...id much like to do it once i get my ak :thumbsup:
-John
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You would do better to use your Mosins, the AK is not intended for longer range accurate shooting, and the Mosin is easier to shoot from prone, you don't want the dog to see you.
Theodore Roosevelt
Piwo

Post by Piwo »

get ya a mojo critter, a mouthcall or two (PM me and we can chat about those) and give it a whirl. If you have the ground to do it, it's never a waste of time. Opens back up here in exactly 7 days, and I'll be out that evening shotgun in hand!

BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice shootin Beer. I'd like to get out and give it a whirl sometime. We have a bunch around here and they are not shy. Neighbors daughter's poodle got shredded by a pack a couple of miles away.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Piwo

Post by Piwo »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Nice shootin Beer. I'd like to get out and give it a whirl sometime. We have a bunch around here and they are not shy. Neighbors daughter's poodle got shredded by a pack a couple of miles away.
Thanks! 8-) Bullets are expensive these days!