Why bother?

Ironnewt

Re: Why bother?

Post by Ironnewt »

Based on that. thinking, all I need are 99 Chevys. Granted it was as tough on the car as it was on the buck, Maybe even more so, but I did get a lot of meat out of it.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

polymerase2 wrote:I will not be parted from my Savage 110 in 30.06.
Neither will I :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I like to shoot groundhogs and a M/N is a bit of overkill :chuckles: An old Savage 340 D in .222 Remington with a 3x9 scope for the long shots, a Marlin/Glenfield .22 with irons for the close ones.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Shooting ground hogs with a Mn is perfect practice for these. We used to tune up our shooting for hunting season by taking the 30-06s out for a bit of jack rabbit hunting. If you can hit a jack rabbit then you should be able to hit a deer where you need to. Of course it was hard to find any rabbit left after hitting one. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'm planning on starting to hunt next season. I've got a savage 30-06 as my primary hunting rifle but I think I'm going to use one of my mosins for a secondary or backup. I just put a no modification scout scope mount on it from brass stacker. Its a poetry neat mount. Very easy install, and all you have to do is knock out two pins with a punch. They even give you the punch. Got it for $59. I've got pics if anyone is interested in it. I know some were interested but a little unsure of it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Milsurps are perfectly fine hunting weapons. They were designed to hunt the most difficult prey to begin with anyway. :twisted:

Starting at age 14, I have taken deer with the 1899 Krag Carbine, M1, M1903, M1903A3, M1A (suedo-milsurp), M96 Swede Mauser, Enfield No1 MkIII, and No4 MkI. Probably some others I am not even remembering right now. This fall however, I intend to hunt with this.......

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't nobody hunt with a good old fasioned lever action .30-30 any more? :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

I would....if I had one.been wanting a Malin for aloooooong time.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I was thinking Winchester 1894, but the Marlin is nice also.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

A marlin 336 is one of the first rifles I want to get after I finish my ar and get an ak and a shotgun haha.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Old Man got one in .30-30, and I have one in .35 Remington, I also have the 1895 in 45/70, and all of them are great.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Hmmm I'll take one of each haha!

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: They make lever guns in the pistol cartridges also, but I never went for that, I like a rifle to shoot a rifle cartridge.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Would be kinda need to have one in 44mag and 357 mag but it is kinda pointless. If using those calibers you could just hunt with a pistol. I can see where have a rifle in the same caliber as your pistol would have its benefits in the old west though. Less types of ammo to carry.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)