DG rifles used by Snipers in WWI?

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Woodbeef

DG rifles used by Snipers in WWI?

Post by Woodbeef »

While doing some investigating on the 404 Jeffery for a new build,I kept coming across the 333 Jeffery being used as a Sniper rifle in WWI. Seems that the Jeffery along with the 318 Westley Richards were used because they could penetrate steel plate easily. Anyone ever found information to back this up?
Noble Sniper

Re: DG rifles used by Snipers in WWI?

Post by Noble Sniper »

Hello, I have seen many examples of scoped sporting rifles that are papered that were used as sniper rifles. The examples I have seen were utilized by the english, germans, italians, and austrians that I have personally seen. I am sure some of the other participating countries did this as well but I cannot say that I have seen them personally ;) Hope this helps........
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

I've read that in a few books. Big Game sporting rifles rushed to the front to defeat sniper plates. " Sniping In The Great War", if I have the title correct was one of them. I don't recall off hand which calibers were mentioned.
Simo

Post by Simo »

lets not forget that they also turned the bullets around in the cases and this when shot at the plates would pepper the face of the man behind.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence