A collectible military firearm from England

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
pacanis

A collectible military firearm from England

Post by pacanis »

Someone mentioned when I got my Jungle Carbine that it was OK to work backwards... and I guess that's what I'm doing :)
The No4 Mk2 (with the two stage trigger). Manufactured to keep some of the folks in England employed at the time. The bayonet doesn't match, but everything else does. This rifle is almost too cherry to shoot... yeah right :lol: I've already got a hundred rounds on the way :toast:
I'm not sure what the cartouches in the last pic designate...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
SA1911a1

Re: A collectible military firearm from England

Post by SA1911a1 »

You are right about that being too pretty to shoot. Way to go dude! :toast:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sheesh, that one's gorgeous! That building you mentioned recently...what did you do, start your own arsenal? You're making these out there now, right? :lol:

Very, very nice my friend! What an excellent find!

Wow.... :Drool1:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Simo

Post by Simo »

The cartouches in the last pic state DP or Dan's purpose. Good thing My name is Dan, I'll PM you where to send it and I'll even pay shipping!

Beauuuuuuuuuuuutiful rifle!!!! :toast:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

That is as nice as can be had :)
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That's a nice one. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Thanks men :toast:
I'm really looking forward to shouldering this one.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Be sure to headspace it just like you would a new Mosin.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That was probably one of the ones sold in the wrap, mine still is in the wrap, but most got opened up . The highest form of S.M.L.E. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

They don't come much nicer. How much does a gun like that run?
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

martin08 wrote:They don't come much nicer. How much does a gun like that run?
That was a tough one to nail down, Martin. I paid $675 plus that pre-communisim Chinese flag I told him I would throw in because I offered his less than he was asking... and because he had given me a very good price on that No5 Mk1 and I don't collect millitaria. He does.
I've seen them asking 1300 for these but not getting it (as far as I followed the auction). And I've seen closed auctions for these getting 595, but that was a couple years ago when it seems more were being sold. And he didn't even want to give me a price until we hit the LGS, whom we are both friends with. The owner of the LGS said he would have listed it for 750 had he given it to him on consignment. I think I did OK and he did OK. I know he paid over 500 for it, but I don't know how long ago.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

:wow: looks good
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom (George S. Patton)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You are doing a good clean up job of the best of the best Pac. I saw this one with tht flag pic but it is even prettier with these pics, Grat figuring on the stock and so clean. SWEET :vcool: :vcool: How you gonna feed all these new babies? :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Yes, feeding them... :vconfused:
I may have to have them all converted to 7.62 x 54r :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When they originally hit the market in '95 they sold for $250-$300 in the wrap, a little less for the very clean ones out of it. I don't recall there being around very long, after I bought mine I never saw another one in the gun shop. They were an expensive Enfield at a time when you could get a nice No1 or No4 issued rifle for under $100.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

pacanis wrote:
martin08 wrote:They don't come much nicer. How much does a gun like that run?
That was a tough one to nail down, Martin. I paid $675 plus that pre-communisim Chinese flag I told him I would throw in because I offered his less than he was asking... and because he had given me a very good price on that No5 Mk1 and I don't collect millitaria. He does.
I've seen them asking 1300 for these but not getting it (as far as I followed the auction). And I've seen closed auctions for these getting 595, but that was a couple years ago when it seems more were being sold. And he didn't even want to give me a price until we hit the LGS, whom we are both friends with. The owner of the LGS said he would have listed it for 750 had he given it to him on consignment. I think I did OK and he did OK. I know he paid over 500 for it, but I don't know how long ago.
looks great, premium guns just cost a little more :Drool1:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Fantastic!!! 8-) that is one fine looking rifle!

Was there a DP mark on there? I couldn't tell. Doesn't the mark "DP" on a lee enfield mean "Drill Purpose" only?
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Where were these usually found Ban? I didn't notice one anywhere.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

That's a very nice Enfield. Nothing wrong with working backwards. Sounds like something I would say :D :D
There are a few of us around here, that think alike. :D :D :D Great score there. :clap:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I thought the DP enfields were just the No.1s. They would have a red stripe around the forestock and then maybe be stamped DP. I think maybe SOG was selling them for a while. Or maybe it was century. I'm not sure if there was a DP No. 4 or not :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)