Finnish Army close combat practice/training M91 Dragoon

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
RicCollectingMosin

Finnish Army close combat practice/training M91 Dragoon

Post by RicCollectingMosin »

Hello everyone! I would like to show you another really interesting example from my collection! It is a Tula 1926 M91 Dragoon converted into a close combat training rifle by the Finnish Army! It is one of the few complete examples that survived till today. According to the books, 1500 examples were modified for this usage in 1959. If you want to know more, I wrote also an article on my website about the complete story of these and the other rifles used in this role (e.g. Berdan II). The Dragoons received two modifications: the addition of a blank fire device/adapter and the so called model M66 rubber bayonet.I hope you will enjoy the following pictures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finnish Army close combat practice/training M91 Dragoon

Post by bunkysdad »

I’ve never seen one of these or heard of them. I’ll have to check your website to learn more but what was the purpose of the rubber bayonet? Training I’d imagine
RicCollectingMosin

Yes, it is a pretty uncommon conversion i think. And yes, the rubber bayonet was used to practice close combat / bayonet fighting training. It has been used apparently also on M39s, as I found in some books and pictures. I was very surprised to know that also M28 rifles were modified for this usage in the '60! Every info i found is in the article and i made also a YouTube video talking about this Dragoon and the Finnish close combat training rifles in general. May I publish the links here? Thank you.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

RicCollectingMosin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:08 am Yes, it is a pretty uncommon conversion i think. And yes, the rubber bayonet was used to practice close combat / bayonet fighting training. It has been used apparently also on M39s, as I found in some books and pictures. I was very surprised to know that also M28 rifles were modified for this usage in the '60! Every info i found is in the article and i made also a YouTube video talking about this Dragoon and the Finnish close combat training rifles in general. May I publish the links here? Thank you.
You can give us the links.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
RicCollectingMosin

Thank you. So this is my website: https://collectingmosin.com and the article is the first one in the "latest posts" in homepage: https://collectingmosin.com/finnish-clo ... tula-1926/
The YouTube video is also reachable via the homepage or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpVZ1IkjUlI
I hope you will enjoy it. I am also curious to know if some others of these converted Dragoons or M28s (renamed as M63) are around. Thank you again!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RicCollectingMosin

Thank you very much! :thumbsup: