Health Update....Apr 2024!

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Health Update....Apr 2024!

Post by ffuries »

Been AWOL on here since late last year.

Lots going on, one or more of the medications I've been on long term has caused thickening of the stomach lining and intestine. Long term I don't know the ramifications, still waiting on the Gastroenterologist to get back with me for more testing etc.

I've been tired as hell and have scaled back a lot of activities, to include my online presence.

The pass two weeks, I've had a series of Cardio appointments (Labs, test, etc). Echo showed my EF rate has dropped, whether this is fluke like before (2006) or a permanent drop remains to be seen. But the drop is not good if permanent, it's reading in the 12% to 15% range. This can lead to less blood flow to the legs leading to swelling and possibly amputation.

Cardiologist isn't saying much right now either way. We've increased one of meds to see if it helps out at all. They made a remark about not wanting to do any more heart caths on me, based on test results and health.

Basically with a low EF rate like I have, the heart has problems pumping enough blood, leading to less blood flow to the legs. Eventually it's either I get a pump to do the work, while awaiting a transplant, or take a permanent nap. No one's giving me an expiration date as of yet, but reading online, my health will take a turn over the next few years.

Am I done with the hunt for my next milsurp? I honestly don't know! I'm still trying to come to grips with everything, and trying to understand how long before I start to decline. Needless to say I have more questions than answers right now. Right now it's a waiting game to see where all this leads to.

I hoping it's a fluke again like in 2006, but I'm preparing myself for it to be the beginning of the end.

Sorry for the bluntness and weird sense of humor, it's how I deal with stress and all.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Re: Health Update....Apr 2024!

Post by ffuries »

With the underlying damage to my heart, and EF rate being as low as it is, there is a 51% mortality rate. In 2006 I was given 10 years, meaning in 10 years I'd either be dead, have a pump assisting my heart function awaiting a transplant, or have had a transplant. I obviously wasn't very good with the math, but we may in that situation now.

I'm considered to be in the severe Chronic Health Failure category. I'm also limited to 54 ounces of fluid a day, to help prevent fluid build up.

So it's a waiting game right now, to see if there will be any improvement, along with more tests, and possibly medicine changes or if I need to start getting my personal affairs in order.

Tough pill to swallow, and not an easy topic to discuss with your family and friends. You try not to dwell on it, but everytime you feel a odd thump from your heart, or start to get dizzy and can't concentrate, your mind thinks "Oh, shit is this it?".
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Holy shit Batman :shock: I am fucked up, most of my friends are fucked up one way or another, me with the diabetes, neuropathy, my feet are in bad shape and I am approaching losing my mobility entirely. My friend Scott who is not far from you down there has a serious kidney condition, another friend beat himself up so badly so many times that he's loaded with bone and nerve issues and can't fully use his arms. One thing we all agree to, compared to you we have no fucking problems at all, none. We play the cards we are delt, not the ones we wish we got. one day at a time, what the fuck else can we do? Keep us in the loop if you can, some of us were wondering what happened to you.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Glad you could update us. We were worried.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm Holy shit Batman :shock: I am fucked up, most of my friends are fucked up one way or another, me with the diabetes, neuropathy, my feet are in bad shape and I am approaching losing my mobility entirely. My friend Scott who is not far from you down there has a serious kidney condition, another friend beat himself up so badly so many times that he's loaded with bone and nerve issues and can't fully use his arms. One thing we all agree to, compared to you we have no fucking problems at all, none. We play the cards we are delt, not the ones we wish we got. one day at a time, what the fuck else can we do? Keep us in the loop if you can, some of us were wondering what happened to you.
With the way I've been feeling for the last few months, I knew something was up, and I think in the back of mind I knew things were getting worse. I didn't want to admit it, but then all the tests showed it was progressing.

I mean we are terminal from the day we take our first breath. Just a big kick to the gut when you find out your number might be up. Granted nothing is in stone, and I could hang on for another couple years with no issues, or I could take that everlasting nap next week.

Just took me awhile to come to some kind of terms within myself, before I started airing it in public. With the dose increase on my one med, we'll see how it goes and how I feel. Not ready to give up yet, but what I want and what my body does might not be in agreement.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is damn good to hear from you. I am pulling for you.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Last night was a rough night. Had an erratic heartbeat off and on, and my blood pressure kept spiking. Which was weird as we doubled my blood pressure medication. I was getting a 144/116 with a 102 pulse reading, and took awhile for it level off, and for me to go to sleep.

We'll see how it goes today, if it happens again we'll seek medical intervention.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member