1943 PU Sniper - 1958 Polish Refurb

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Andy RV

1943 PU Sniper - 1958 Polish Refurb

Post by Andy RV »

Hello all,

My first post here and my first Mosin.

This is what I believe to be a 1943 PU which was refurbished by the Polish in 1958.

I’ve done a little research on these and only found perhaps 3 or 4 examples of Polish refurbished PU’s.

What I know about this;

The serial No rk5159 fits within the Izhevsk PU serial no. range.

The mount appears to be original from the Izhevsk factory, the scope is mismatched, perhaps 1944 manufacture? Based on the WZR-58 marking it was refurbished by the Poles in 1958.

There is a faint evidence of the ‘C’ stamp on the right side of the receiver, the Polish refurbishment appears to have been lost during polishing.

All of the serial numbers match throughout the rifle, however other than the receiver they do not feature the prefix, rk, they may have been force matched during refurbishment?

The bluing is a deep blue and shows no wear at all, the magazine release is the typical polish plum colour and the rear sight is in the white.

I assume that the stock is not original and shows a infill repair to the rear of the mount. The sling has green painted buckles which I believe are of Polish origin? There are some faint diamond like stamps to the stock however I’m struggling to pick up any more detail.

The rifle appears to be in new arsenal condition with a crisp and bright bore. It was proofed in the UK in 2022, I assume upon import.

Hopefully I’ve covered the main points, overall I’m very happy with my first Mosin and looking forward to some range time!
IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0861.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg
IMG_0863.jpeg
IMG_0864.jpeg
IMG_0865.jpeg
IMG_0866.jpeg
IMG_0867.jpeg
IMG_0869.jpeg
IMG_0870.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy RV

Re: 1943 PU Sniper - 1958 Polish Refurb

Post by Andy RV »

A couple more;
IMG_0858.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I don't know a lot about what they did to them in Poland but,

The rest of the parts all look original (real parts).

Nice looking.

Maybe Miller can give a better opinion.

Darryl
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I will try to get a better look at it this evening, pics don't show much on my phone but I like what I see so far.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
GS455

Post by GS455 »

Looks like the Circle C is there but it's very faint
kenbow

Post by kenbow »

Nice looking rifle enjoy it
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Looked this rifle over, and I can't say for 100% that it is a Polish refurbed PU, I can say the scope markings, the rear sight in the white, and the beautiful bluing are all Polish traits.
Are there and stamps on the sides of the butt stock?
Any close-ups of small parts inspection marks, Polish Mosin parts have a "Y" stamp on them like this.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin