1895 FN Mauser mystery

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OregonShooter

1895 FN Mauser mystery

Post by OregonShooter »

So I bought a mystery, or at least that's what I thought at the time. When I was first looking over the rifle, I knew only two things, It was a small ring Mauser and it was pre 98. I didn't know much else but I was willing to take a chance as Mausers are worth more than a few hundred bucks in any condition, especially pre 98's.

Here are the things I do know (or at least I think I know): Mauser made by Fabrique Nationale Herstal Liege. Barrel proof marks are all correct for FN such as Lion over P.V. and Star over A.
It is a 1895 carbine and at first I thought it was a "OVS" carbine without the markings, but I think I've ruled that out but not completely. It is 7x57mm.

I will need better pictures going forward, but these will have to do for now.

If there are any Mauser experts here, please feel free to chime in. Other than that enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
USMC 1987 - 1997 / ARNG 2002 - 2013
willyj73

Re: 1895 FN Mauser mystery

Post by willyj73 »

I'm not Mauser expert. First time I've seen an FN carbine (or short rifle) like that. I used to own a pristine FN 1893 Mauser. I believe some of the rifles were sold to Uruguay. I never disassembled the rifle because I did not want to risk boogering the screws up. Below is a few photos of the rifle I used to own.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
OregonShooter

Post by OregonShooter »

So according to Robert W. D. Ball's "Mauser Military rifles of the world" my rifle does not exist. I have a 1895 Calvary carbine made by FN in Belgium. No where in Balls book does it say that FN ever made a 1895 Calvary carbine, they should have only been made in Germany by DWM and Ludwig Loewe. So it looks like the mystery goes on.
USMC 1987 - 1997 / ARNG 2002 - 2013
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Could it be a parts gun assembled for the civilian market.....?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Returnspring

Post by Returnspring »

No real helpful info, but two observations. First, I believe B.Blindee and Liege proofed barrels are sometimes seen on Peruvian 1909s that have been arsenal barreled. Second, the carbine's stock seems in much better condition than the action and handguard, suggesting that at least was replaced.

What is the barrel length?
Returnspring

Post by Returnspring »

Willyj73, that is an amazing 1893 long rifle. I've been collecting south american contract mausers for over 20 years and while I have some rarer pieces, I've never seen one as nice yours. Congrats.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Returnspring wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:45 am Willyj73, that is an amazing 1893 long rifle. I've been collecting south american contract mausers for over 20 years and while I have some rarer pieces, I've never seen one as nice yours. Congrats.
It was a very nice rifle. Pristine. I think the stock was lightly sanded at some point (stamps had the appearance). Other than that, it was like new. I sold it a few years ago. I don't collect Mausers (most FB Mauser people turned me off from them years ago), and, I was afraid I'd do something stupid and ding it up.
Mosin Fanboy