SVT-40 Authenticity Questions, New Owner/Member

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
gavinmastervick

SVT-40 Authenticity Questions, New Owner/Member

Post by gavinmastervick »

Hello all, I’ve been a fan of Soviet rifles for quite some time now as they are both historically interesting to me and readily available in Canada as surplus.
I’ve decided that it would be a smart idea to collect one firearm a year, and this year I’m looking at a few SVT40 rifles available.
I absolutely love the look and history of this rifle, and since I don’t “need” one I can spend some time searching for a really nice example.
I am more interested in owning a nice, as original example as possible, and have come across one I’m pursuing.
I’ve tried digging for information on bolt carrier colours as this one is “in the white”, yet definitely a refurb (electropenciling on the bolt handle). I have read some came over after refurbishment in the white (unfinished, polished steel) as opposed to the usual plum colour. However, I have also read about people removing this colour.
The seller also mentions the PO replacing the gas system, which as long as it was done to make it function I think is fine. Otherwise it’s a really nice looking gun from the pictures.
I’m looking for advice on tells as to if the bolt colour was altered or not, and what people think.
I can post pictures once I receive some.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: SVT-40 Authenticity Questions, New Owner/Member

Post by Darryl »

This is what they looked like originally.
dolk/SVT40/index.html
except it has the SA mark on the left side (showing Finn capture). It was captured by the Finn's and was not refurbished like 99% of them in Russia.

A lot of the refurbed rifles had the bluing (that plumb color) removed from the bolt so they would look like original. Those will drop in value as far as I'm concerned. They should be like they came out of the Russian arsenal. If they have electro-penciled numbers on it, it should have a blum colored bolt.

It's rare to find a SVT40 that is original and not refurbished and even rarer to find a Finn captured.

Darryl
gavinmastervick

It’s such a nice looking rifle, probably the nicest in my opinion.
Is it safe to say it would be far too difficult, even impossible to be able to tell if the in the white bolt was like that from the arsenal or made to look like WWII stock?
Anything original is far out of my budget and quite difficult to find here.
I appreciate the response.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I think.........

Any SVT40 available from the arsenals of Russia would be "refurbished. That would mean 99.999% of all rebuilds should have a "plum" bolt, not white.
It is extremely rare to see a SVT40 in the white.

One reason is, It was captured by the Finn's and never went through refurbishment so the bolt is white.

The other reason is, it is a super extremely rare SVT40 that somehow missed refurbishment. These should be very carefully evaluated. Not saying it didn't happen, just not often.

SVT40's should have plum bolts or marked SA (Finn marks).

I think.

Darryl
gavinmastervick

I see, I think that makes the most sense to me. Waiting on pictures, but I think it’s most likely a refurb where someone removed the plum colour.