Transitional 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
willyj73

Transitional 91/30

Post by willyj73 »

Transitional 91/30 I purchased a few years ago from auction. The rifle is in excellent condition. Bluing looks brand new, which is typical on refurb rifles; however, I cannot find any refurb/depot marks on the rifle (none that I can recall). Rifle has original matching bolt and magazine. Stock is Tula. And, the rifle does have some Tula parts--namely the trigger, ejector/interrupter, and stock hard ware. The remaining parts are Izhevsk. Butt plate does not have a serial number. This has most of the features of the transitional 91/30s--blade front sight, long notch in the rear sight, one side bevel on the rear sight slider, screw in the rear sight base, and one button band (other band is typical 91/30 style band).
Although the stock is Tula, it has original finish--it doesn't have the post war refurb varnish applied to it. Billboard import marks on the receiver sort of detract from an otherwise nice, semi-original rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Re: Transitional 91/30

Post by willyj73 »

Some photos of the rear sight and rifle markings. You can see some pitting that was blued over. So, the rifle was refurbed; else, the pitting would be through the bluing. But, I cannot find refurb markings. Bolt knob looks to have an "H" on it. If so, the "H" indicates this was a replacement part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Some photos of the markings. I think the marking on the barrel is the steel lot number. You can see that some of the parts are Tula. I cannot recall if the trigger spring/sear is Tula or Izhevsk.
Mosin Fanboy
Greedo1977

Post by Greedo1977 »

Pretty cool! :thumbsup:
For some reason this rifle reminds me of the the post SCW rebuilds. However what puzzles me is the billboard important mark. The SCW Mosins were all brought back in the 50-60s. Yet I have come across several of these over the years. Early 30s dates, billboard import, reblued but no Soviet refurb marks, original finish wood and usually matching or mostly matched.

Maybe I’m just looking to closely for some sort of pattern here lol.
Either way it’s a nice looking Transitional 91/30.