Back to buying...I can't help myself...

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Back to buying...I can't help myself...

Post by SA1911a1 »

A couple of weeks ago, I picked a nice '54 International Harvester Garand. Today, while out and about, I ran into a guy with a '03 Remington for sale. All he had was bad photos on his cell phone, but his description made it sound worth a further look. He was calling it an 02 A3, but it is an 03 which would make it early war. Tomorrow I am going to drive to see it. I will either reject it as junk or pay $500.00 for it. Wish me luck boys, I need a break!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Back to buying...I can't help myself...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good luck with it, $500 is a good price these days even if it has an issue or two.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I picked the rifle up today. A Remington '03. As presented by the seller it looked terrible, surface rust, a bore that was full of crud. I told him I couldn't go $500.00 in the condition it was in. We settled of $420. When I got home I stripped it down completely and I don't think that it had been cleaned since it was removed from military service. That ugly bore cleaned up to a mirror shine with very good rifling. There was still cosmoline in the firing pin spring. After the deep cleaning, it turns out that the rifle is gorgeous, the parkerizing looks to be the original finish. Every marked part is Remington, the barrel is May of '42, no signs of refurbishment, and it even had the oiler and pull through in the stock and what I presume is an aftermarket M-1917 sling. Other than a couple of dings in the stock and a parade ground butt-plate, it is first class. The bore cleaned to a mirror shine with nice rifling. If my shoulder can take it it should be a shooter. I was thinking that I needed to drive back over there and kiss the seller, but he is just so damn ugly! Mike would you do that part for me?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So, being lazy cost him $80. I love people like that when it causes the price of whatever I am buying from them to come down. Not long ago a rusty set of 60's era SK Wayne SAE wrenches went from $75 down to $40 when this rust was pointed out. Got home and dumped them in Evaporust for a day, they came out nice and clean. I sprayed them with clear and now they live in the M-37's tool kit.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Here are some pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:44 pm I picked the rifle up today. A Remington '03. As presented by the seller it looked terrible, surface rust, a bore that was full of crud. I told him I couldn't go $500.00 in the condition it was in. We settled of $420. When I got home I stripped it down completely and I don't think that it had been cleaned since it was removed from military service. That ugly bore cleaned up to a mirror shine with very good rifling. There was still cosmoline in the firing pin spring. After the deep cleaning, it turns out that the rifle is gorgeous, the parkerizing looks to be the original finish. Every marked part is Remington, the barrel is May of '42, no signs of refurbishment, and it even had the oiler and pull through in the stock and what I presume is an aftermarket M-1917 sling. Other than a couple of dings in the stock and a parade ground butt-plate, it is first class. The bore cleaned to a mirror shine with nice rifling. If my shoulder can take it it should be a shooter. I was thinking that I needed to drive back over there and kiss the seller, but he is just so damn ugly! Mike would you do that part for me?
You can kiss your own damn ugly dates/hook-ups Steve....Just start carrying a toilet plunger with you.

As for the rifle looks pretty damn good, you got a hell of a deal out of it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Being lazy cost him 80 bucks and saved you hundreds!!! That's a great score, and a damn great price too!!!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

RazorBurn wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:08 pm Being lazy cost him 80 bucks and saved you hundreds!!! That's a great score, and a damn great price too!!!
Thank you,

I have wanted a wartime 03 for a long time, but was never willing to shell out for one. That said, I will strike while the iron is hot, and the iron was smoking on this one. It has been a while since you could buy an original '03 for that kind of money.

I felt a bit like a thief for about five minutes, but the guy I bought it from was the gun counter clerk at a pawn shop, he should have known better. He should have also know better than to neglect a rifle the way he did. I am going to have to buy a magazine catch spring for the thing, He was using the rifle for hog hunting, I wonder if he sold it because the magazine kept popping open and dumping his rounds. I shot the rifle yesterday and it went very well after I used my grip to hold the mag plate on. I broke down and bought the whole spring set from Wolff for under $12.00 shipped. I will get it back up to par, swap all of the springs while I am at it, clean it, oil it, and put it away; cause you never know when the Kaiser's boys or Nazis may come back and when you have to shoot a man with an '06, he stays shot. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:18 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:44 pm I picked the rifle up today. A Remington '03. As presented by the seller it looked terrible, surface rust, a bore that was full of crud. I told him I couldn't go $500.00 in the condition it was in. We settled of $420. When I got home I stripped it down completely and I don't think that it had been cleaned since it was removed from military service. That ugly bore cleaned up to a mirror shine with very good rifling. There was still cosmoline in the firing pin spring. After the deep cleaning, it turns out that the rifle is gorgeous, the parkerizing looks to be the original finish. Every marked part is Remington, the barrel is May of '42, no signs of refurbishment, and it even had the oiler and pull through in the stock and what I presume is an aftermarket M-1917 sling. Other than a couple of dings in the stock and a parade ground butt-plate, it is first class. The bore cleaned to a mirror shine with nice rifling. If my shoulder can take it it should be a shooter. I was thinking that I needed to drive back over there and kiss the seller, but he is just so damn ugly! Mike would you do that part for me?
You can kiss your own damn ugly dates/hook-ups Steve....Just start carrying a toilet plunger with you.

Don't get your drawers all in a wad; I just didn't think that you would mind, thats all. ;)

This rifle came from the counter clerk (private sale) from the Marianna Pawn and Gun. It may be worth if for you to swing by there, they had some good stuff for a change. While you are there, take your lovely wife to Jim's Buffet on 90, West of downtown on the South side of the road. One of the better buffet's in the area. If you wanted to go home through Blountstown, they tell me that the seafood place on the left as you are going S. on 71 before you get downtown, has fresh Applach seafood for less than an arm and a leg.

Cave City Pawn also has some mil-surp stuff, but I haven't figured them out, their pricing is absolutely guaranteed to send you away with nothing; for instance, a beat to hell, ugly with a capital U, Garand mixmaster, asking $4,700.00. There is another shop on 90 West of downtown, but he only has new stuff, but you wouldn't want to miss the Outpost; Just don't go on a Friday, he will have the whole shop packed up for the weekend shows. I swung by there on Friday and he was getting ready for the show that you atteneded on Sat.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:29 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:18 pm

Don't get your drawers all in a wad; I just didn't think that you would mind, thats all. ;)

This rifle came from the counter clerk (private sale) from the Marianna Pawn and Gun. It may be worth if for you to swing by there, they had some good stuff for a change. While you are there, take your lovely wife to Jim's Buffet on 90, West of downtown on the South side of the road. One of the better buffet's in the area. If you wanted to go home through Blountstown, they tell me that the seafood place on the left as you are going S. on 71 before you get downtown, has fresh Applach seafood for less than an arm and a leg.

Cave City Pawn also has some mil-surp stuff, but I haven't figured them out, their pricing is absolutely guaranteed to send you away with nothing; for instance, a beat to hell, ugly with a capital U, Garand mixmaster, asking $4,700.00. There is another shop on 90 West of downtown, but he only has new stuff, but you wouldn't want to miss the Outpost; Just don't go on a Friday, he will have the whole shop packed up for the weekend shows. I swung by there on Friday and he was getting ready for the show that you atteneded on Sat.
Hmm, going to have to save up my allowance and make a trip that way and see what I can find. When we do, probably after the new year, I'll give you a heads up and we can do lunch. Hell, since I'm such a nice guy, I'll even let you pay for lunch! That's the least I can do.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That sounds like a good plan, Mike.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt