Today's Gun Show Haul (Eddystone & Zastava)

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Today's Gun Show Haul (Eddystone & Zastava)

Post by ffuries »

Found a Zastava M70 and an Eddystone Model 1917. Got them both out the door for a grand, basically got the M70 for free. The M1917 came with this weird sling/strap looking thing, don't know what it is or what country. So does anyone have any ideas on what it is.

Will break them down and post better pictures later in separate posts. Didnt sleep well last night, so it's nap time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Re: Today's Gun Show Haul

Post by SA1911a1 »

The Eddystone is very nice, Mike. Congrats on that one. I have a couple of the Zastavas, they are fun little pistols.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:48 pm The Eddystone is very nice, Mike. Congrats on that one. I have a couple of the Zastavas, they are fun little pistols.
Been looking it over a little and all the parts I've looked at so far are marked with a E. Haven't messed with the Zastava yet. Got another kindney stone taking a journey through the system, and I've been in pain, which is making me grumpy and killing my patience and concentration.

BTW where's the pictures of your new adoption Steve?
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:15 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:48 pm The Eddystone is very nice, Mike. Congrats on that one. I have a couple of the Zastavas, they are fun little pistols.
Been looking it over a little and all the parts I looked at so far are marked with a E. Haven't messed with the Zastava yet. Got another kindney stone taking a journey through the system, and I've been in pain, which is making me grumpy and killing my patience and concentration.

BTW where's the pictures of your new adoption Steve?

Something has taken over my photo processing software and I am not able to process pics. Here is a couple that my wife took and emailed to me. They are not very helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Nice one, you ever get bored with it, I'll give you $500.00 for it, seeing you only paid $420.00 for it.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Today's Gun Show Haul (Eddystone & Zastava)

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Memorys of the late 1980's and early 90's when this sort of thing was pretty much all I was collecting. The rifles, not the east block pistol as they had yet to be imported. I have seen that sling, but I don't remember what it was for, one of the machine guns I think, probably ours, but might have been one of theirs. Import mark on that '17?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:43 am Memorys of the late 1980's and early 90's when this sort of thing was pretty much all I was collecting. The rifles, not the east block pistol as they had yet to be imported. I have seen that sling, but I don't remember what it was for, one of the machine guns I think, probably ours, but might have been one of theirs. Import mark on that '17?
Haven't broke down the rifle yet, managed to field strip the pistol, inspect, clean and oil it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:43 am Memorys of the late 1980's and early 90's when this sort of thing was pretty much all I was collecting. The rifles, not the east block pistol as they had yet to be imported. I have seen that sling, but I don't remember what it was for, one of the machine guns I think, probably ours, but might have been one of theirs. Import mark on that '17?
Okay, after a thorough breakdown and inspection, that was an adventure, I've found the following, using the below site as a guide, out of 38 items that should have a manufacturer's mark only 4 weren't marked with an E for Eddystone.

The handguard ring and magazine spring are marked R for Remington, floor plate marked W for Winchester and barrel marked JA and P for Johnson Automatics and Proofed. A check showed no receiver crack.

There is no import mark on it either.

https://m1903.com/m1917markings.php
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffuries wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:46 pm
Okay, after a thorough breakdown and inspection, that was an adventure, I've found the following, using the below site as a guide, out of 38 items that should have a manufacturer's mark only 4 weren't marked with an E for Eddystone.

The handguard ring and magazine spring are marked R for Remington, floor plate marked W for Winchester and barrel marked JA and P for Johnson Automatics and Proofed. A check showed no receiver crack.

Remington made the bulk of these during the war with Eddystone being the most commonly encountered. They were refurbished before being shipped out to our allies during the war. Because Eddystone is so common it's not uncommon to see the bulk of the parts be E after reassembly. This is normal and nothing to worry about. You magnafluxed the receiver ring? Cracks weren't that common, but they did happen. If that W floorplate bothers you I bet you could find a Winchester owner to trade with if they have an E marked plate on their rifle. After reading about the cracking I was always just a bit hesitant to fire the one I have with a replacement barrel. In my case I had three others with original barrels to shoot plus the P14. Another issue with my rifle was that they fucked up the install, they failed to screw in the barrel just a tiny bit further and the sights are slightly off. It headspaces fine, they just weren't paying attention. It's slight, but I do notice it, and it's irritating so it is wallhanger. With the cracking issue I decided to leave well enough alone and not take it in to have it fixed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Mike, I was checking parts on my new 03 today, and everything was Remington marked except the rear stamped barrel band. I was getting pouty about that until I did a search online. It turns out that the U was indicating which end of the band went up...;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:41 pm Mike, I was checking parts on my new 03 today, and everything was Remington marked except the rear stamped barrel band. I was getting pouty about that until I did a search online. It turns out that the U was indicating which end of the band went up...;)
My Remington Rolling Block barrel bands have U's on them also and read the same thing.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:16 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:46 pm

Remington made the bulk of these during the war with Eddystone being the most commonly encountered. They were refurbished before being shipped out to our allies during the war. Because Eddystone is so common it's not uncommon to see the bulk of the parts be E after reassembly. This is normal and nothing to worry about. You magnafluxed the receiver ring? Cracks weren't that common, but they did happen. If that W floorplate bothers you I bet you could find a Winchester owner to trade with if they have an E marked plate on their rifle. After reading about the cracking I was always just a bit hesitant to fire the one I have with a replacement barrel. In my case I had three others with original barrels to shoot plus the P14. Another issue with my rifle was that they fucked up the install, they failed to screw in the barrel just a tiny bit further and the sights are slightly off. It headspaces fine, they just weren't paying attention. It's slight, but I do notice it, and it's irritating so it is wallhanger. With the cracking issue I decided to leave well enough alone and not take it in to have it fixed.
Did the gasoline trick to check. A visual check showed nothing, so I did the gas trick and it showed nothing. Could take it somewhere and have it checked also i guess.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I'll try and get some shots outside of the rifle tomorrow. Thet way maybe ill get some decent pictures to post of it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

One thing that bugged me was the stock, it's E marked for Eddystone on the nose cap, plus has the number/letter stamped behind the trigger guard, but no Eagle stamp.

At first I thought maybe it was sanded, but the finger grooves look too crisp, and the number/letter are too crisp to have been sanded, plus the area where the Eagle stamp would be at looks undisturbed.

So during my internet reading I found mention of rifles that had rebuilds immediately after WWI didn't get the Eagle stamp. True or not I don't know, but my stock never had the Eagle stamp from the looks of it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That "3 S" means that it is Steve's third Eddystone. Please return it pronto!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:08 am That "3 S" means that it is Steve's third Eddystone. Please return it pronto!
Oh shit, let me get that rifle right over to you. Sorry about that Steve!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member