Polish 91/98/25

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Schoolbd

Polish 91/98/25

Post by Schoolbd »

Hello all new to the forum, found this the other day, somewhat rare mosin in 8mm, it’s missing barrel band and handguard, but it’s a numbers matching rifle, any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Schoolbd
IMG_4166.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Polish 91/98/25

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is a very cool find, but I have no idea were parts for this might be outside of maybe Poland. Have you tried Numrich arms?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Schoolbd

Post by Schoolbd »

The original handguard is made from a cut down m91 handguard and I have the correct barrel band, will try to duplicate the handguard from absurplus one, those two parts aren’t that critical and will not harm the rifle
Thanks for your reply, haven’t gotten much response and think it’s due to it’s rarity
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

So a Mosin Nagant, modified to 8mm, with some Mauser parts added, takes a Mauser style bayonet. If I didn't know that this was a legit modification, one would think Bubba had too much time on his hands.

A quick Google search, shows the majority of them were destroyed during WWII. I wonder how many survived. Pretty cool example of using what you have, and cool example of a rare rifle.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Schoolbd

Post by Schoolbd »

Thank you for your reply, thought it was kinda strange when I first saw it , then googled it and saw what it was ,immediately went back and bought it!
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

These have variations on the sling swivels. I own one that is missing the forend, hand guard, and other associated parts. It did/does (amazingly) retain the rear band. I have the parts to make it "whole" again. I've just never found anybody who is good enough with woodworking to do the job. It's such an uncommon/rare rifle that I'd rather have it done right, or not at all.
Anyway, my rear band was modified to be used as a sling swivel. I say this because you could likely use a regular M91 rear band on your rifle. Also, an online seller sells reproduction hand guards for these rifles if you want to go that route https://www.wojtekweaponry.com/Mosin-Wz ... p_427.html

Here are some photos of the hand guard and my rifle's sling swivel set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I've seen quite a few of these that were cut at the fore end--but the fore end wasn't missing (nor the other associated parts). I don't know if Poland spliced the fore ends on some of these, and they came apart. The rifles are so lightweight it seems odd to remove the fore end to save weight (but, bubba never does anything that makes sense). Also, the stocks seem short enough to not need a duffle cut.

From what I know, these rifles were captured from Russian during Polish/Russian skrimishes/war/conflict during the early 1920s. Poland converted the captured rifles into the rifles we own until they were able to start production of their own rifles. I believe these were used by border guards (mainly).
Some photos of the rifles in use
Mosin Fanboy
Schoolbd

Post by Schoolbd »

Willyj73
Thanks for your reply and photos, the barrel band I have looks like yours minus the swivel, I’ve worked with wood many years of my life and will fabricate the handguard from an old 91 handguard I have, will post photos when done.
I obtained this gun from an older gentleman who said it was a WW2 bring back by his father, really glad I found it!
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

With the rarity of M91 hand guards (and the cost), I would purchase a reproduction hand guard (or leave it as is) unless the M91 hand guard is already broken. The M91 hand guards currently sell for $150 and up.
There was a person who had a few extra brass ends for sale--I think it was on another forum.
Obviously, it's your stuff to do as you want. The M91 hand guards are getting so scarce I'd hate to see one destroyed.
Mosin Fanboy
Schoolbd

Post by Schoolbd »

Got one that’s cracked 🙂