Backyard Visitor

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Backyard Visitor

Post by ffuries »

This is the second time in the last week we've had what I believe is a North American Racer in our yard. They get to about 20-56 inches, this one was around 36 inches. Didn't kill it, just relocated it out of the backyard so the dogs didn't miss with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Sonny

Re: Backyard Visitor

Post by Sonny »

You sure have a lot of creepy crawlie critters down there and that's a good place for them. :lol:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 am You sure have a lot of creepy crawlie critters down there and that's a good place for them. :lol:
How you like the pet camel spider I had in Uzbekistan.....? And yes that is a standard size Zippo lighter next to her, and she got as big as a pack of Marlboro 100's before l rotated out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That snake will eat it's weight in mice every day. That is a good one.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

ffuries wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:51 am
Sonny wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 am You sure have a lot of creepy crawlie critters down there and that's a good place for them. :lol:
How you like the pet camel spider I had in Uzbekistan.....? And yes that is a standard size Zippo lighter next to her, and she got as big as a pack of Marlboro 100's before l rotated out.
Nothing that a size ten boot stomp wouldn't take care of. :shock:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:58 pm That snake will eat it's weight in mice every day. That is a good one.
No snakes up here, some rattlesnakes south of Calgary tho.

I can't tell a good snake from a bad snake so they all would get clobbered with a shovel if I seen one around here. :thumbsup: :devil2:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:58 pm That snake will eat it's weight in mice every day. That is a good one.
One of the reasons why I didn't kill it. Once I was able to ID it as being non-venomous, I just moved it out of the backyard, so it could do its thing, without being molested or killed by the dogs.

It had an attitude that is for sure, it was lifting its head in a striking pose and shaking its tail like a rattler.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I wouldn't have bothered that snake either, but my mother would have used that hoe to chop it into little pieces. I've seen her do it.
Fuck that spider, though.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:51 pm I wouldn't have bothered that snake either, but my mother would have used that hoe to chop it into little pieces. I've seen her do it.
Fuck that spider, though.
Butthead (The spider) was sweet, she only bit me once, and damn did it hurt! :beek:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

She would have been under boot butter before it ever thought about biting me. Avowed arachniphobe here. Nope.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool pet snake, what did you name it? We have millions of spiders, the wolf being the largest, I ignore them, and they eat bugs that suck my blood so they can stay.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I remember when I was in Vietnam. We found a large spider sort of like this and a giant ant. And what better thing to do for a bunch of Marines was to form a circle barrier and let the two fight it out. The ant won.. Bit of all the spider's legs. We did weird shit in those days...