PU scrubbed scope number on barrel? Is it genuine?

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
James84

PU scrubbed scope number on barrel? Is it genuine?

Post by James84 »

Hi all,

I have spotted another potential PU but it is missing the scope number stamped on the barrel. It appears that it has been scrubbed, as I can see some very slight difference in the machining marks but if it has been ground off and reblued, they have done a very, very tidy job on it. I asked the shop to take the action out of the stock. I didn't get a picture of the inletting cut for the scope mount, but it wasn't a new cut and looks correct, so I have no concerns with the stock.

I took some detailed pictures of the action/receiver/barrel, as well as the scope mount and scope. Everything appears to be correct to me and I can spot some very, very faint markings under the European proofs where the scope number should be. This rifle has no import marks, as it is based in Europe and the markings on the barrel/receiver are European proof markings stating the calibre etc. As the scope number (I believe) has been scrubbed, they've been stamped where they would have been. the leftmost faint marking I can see isn't a character I recognise... so this is what is worrying me. Is it something else that was stamped on there that has been ground off?

Open to any thoughts and second opinions on this one would be much appreciated! The bore is very good so I am very interested in this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James84

Re: PU scrubbed scope number on barrel? Is it genuine?

Post by James84 »

oh and also, the bolt knob had a dimple/hole in it at the end. I've read another post on this forum before that this could be where they were turned in the lathe and that is the contact dimple from that process. I thought it worth mentioning.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Where are you located or this rifle?
James84

Post by James84 »

It's in the UK
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Reason I am asking is, your "conditions" are different out of the USA.

What I noticed is the "scrubbed" numbers.

Also, all the original "proof marks" are up high on the barrel shank on the left side . This was typically done to accommodate "scope numbers" when the rifle was made in Russia. THAT would indicate a "sniper rifle".

Scope is real.
Mount is real.

Would like to have seen a photo of the bolt handle. Especially under the bend.

But, it "looks like" it is a real sniper.

What I can't help you with is "import marks". That tell a huge story but, yours won't have them because it was not imported by "known importers" here in the USA...so, I don't know European traits.

Darryl
James84

Post by James84 »

Thanks very much. I am kicking myself for not taking picture of the bolt but I did compare it on the spot with those shown on m1930.info and they also had 3 fakes on the rack which all looked obvious in the bolt area, i.e. polished/fresh metal surfaces, no working marks etc.

I'm fairly happy this is a genuine one. Thank you for your help!