Auction tools from the past

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
Cliff

Auction tools from the past

Post by Cliff »

Like a lot of you guys I like old tools. The old antique stores and auctions are some of my favorite places to look for old tools.
Here is a old box that went through the auction a few weeks ago. I've not started on cleaning and oiling yet. I thought Jim or some one here could add some info on these. The auction has sold off some machine shop estates lately. This old box of reamers was just too good to pass up for $20.
Cliff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Re: Auction tools from the past

Post by SA1911a1 »

Those are pretty nifty. I get a kick out of restoring old tools to function as well.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Auction tools from the past

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1920's would be my guess going by the box design, very similar to the Mossberg socket sets I have collected from that era. Evaporust will clean them right up, Kotton Klenser will pull the dirt off the wood. Thousands and thousands of old tools have made their way to me from flea markets and estate sales. It's a rare estate sale when I don't come back with at least one old tool, even if it's only a USA made screwdriver. I do a lot of estate sales. Most of what I bring home is auto related, but not all. I have a growing collection of Coes patent pipe wrenches, as well as numerous other pipe wrenches and adjustable wrenches, early multi tools, and so on. I just took nine more tool box's down to the barn for storage last weekend, most packed full of USA wrenches, socket sets, ratchets, wood handle screwdrivers, and so on. There are likely more than 50 tool box's down there now, plus all the stuff hanging on the walls, or packed away in ammo cans. I picked up only two guns in the last year or longer, but in the same time I bought hundreds of vintage tools.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt