Just what's do I have

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
sheepdog

Just what's do I have

Post by sheepdog »

So I saved my nickels and dimes, hid them from mama, broke my promise of no more firearms and picked up an M39. I knew I had these two cans squirreled away from when I bought my other Mosin back in the $100 days. Anyone have a clue what I have?
7 62x54r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Just what's do I have

Post by millman »

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm#Packaging

Looks like light steel ball according to that link.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Silver Tip? Good stuff ain't it, M39s aren't too picky I heard. Great site, lots of answers.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Yeah that would be silver tip roughly 147 grain bullets. It's pretty good stuff. I've never had any problems with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought two cases of this stuff just before the prices made their first jump, probably ten years ago now, still have them squirreled away. I shot up another case worth, good stuff in every Mosin I used it in, no problems.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

sheepdog wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:53 am Silver Tip? Good stuff ain't it, M39s aren't too picky I heard. Great site, lots of answers.
I don't think your cans are silver tip, same steel core ammo, just no tip.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:06 am
sheepdog wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:53 am Silver Tip? Good stuff ain't it, M39s aren't too picky I heard. Great site, lots of answers.
He has two cans of silver tip ammo.

ЛПС = Silver tipped.
Light ball steel core
1953-1991

Same as Millman post of his....except different powder lot and a few other minor differences.
ЛПС is the designation for "Silver Tipped Bullet".
Darryl

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Darryl wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:41 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:06 am
He has two cans of silver tip ammo.

ЛПС = Silver tipped.
Light ball steel core
1953-1991

Same as Millman post of his....except different powder lot and a few other minor differences.
ЛПС is the designation for "Silver Tipped Bullet".
Darryl

OK, it's been my experience that cans with no silver stripe are not tipped. The 81 Bulgarian I opened had the same bullet code, no silver tip.

" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

The 77-188 means they were made at the Russian Novosibirsk factory in 1977 and as Darryl said the ЛПС means it's Steel Core. The paint on the tip of the bullets and can are nothing more than color coding so the user knows what the bullet is and has no bearing on quality. Some factories during certain years made the exact same bullets with no paint on the can or bullets but the can will still have the ЛПС markings and the bullet is also steel core. Same goes for Heavy Ball ammo that has a yellow tip. It has the Д marking but it's Heavy Ball 182gr lead core.