Electrical Panel Upgrade

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Electrical Panel Upgrade

Post by ffuries »

Well today, the electricians upgraded the house from a 100 amp setup to a 200 amp set up. The only thing I don't like or understand is that main box outside only has one breaker now versus the six we had previously, which were as follows.

1) Main House
2) Dryer
3) AC
4) Heater
5) Stove, turned off as we have a gas stove.
6) Shed

So when I was adding additional electrical circuits to the shed, I would flip the breaker marked shed and kill the shed. Now if I flip the breaker, I kill the whole damn house. I might put a shut off switch in the shed, next to my shed breaker panel box. I have a little electrical work to do in there, then I'll insulate, drywall, and paint the inside of the shed, plus put a new window unit it it. Then paint the outside to match the house.

We've been out of the house for 130 days so far. The main issue is the program is micromanaging the whole process, causing delays due to the unavailability of inspectors. The contractor has lost close to a 100 days of work out of the 130 days due to waiting for inspections, plus while waiting for approval to move forward with the structural repairs after the structural issue was found. That was 3 weeks for the approval to do the repairs, then 3 weeks waiting for an inspector to sign off on the repairs afterwards, so 6 weeks lost just to replace the bad studs.

Stress along with this blasted Florida summer heat is literally killing me, I've had a few Angina episodes (Not to be confused with Vagina episodes) over the last few weeks.....So I'm trying not to stress and hiding from the heat as much as possible!

I'm ready to go home.....!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Electrical Panel Upgrade

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

200 amp? You setting up an electric chair in there? Sounds like a fun time, I hear the same story's of endless delays due to lack of people, lack of inspectors, lack of material from all over. I hope the clusterfuck is ironed out soon, good luck with it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Our 200 amp service has no breaker outside, only way to disconnect it out there is pull the meter. if you want to shut something off you have to do it in the panel inside.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

When I went from 100 amp to 200 amp service, we were putting in A/C. year 2000.

They wanted to put in 150 amp service but I asked them to put in 200 amp. They said it would cost $500 more, but I explained that the two boxes were the same size and the cost of going from 150 to 200 amps for the cost of the box was only $55. I asked them if they still wanted the job or not?

They upgraded to 200 for $75 more. They probably had a 150 amp box in their shop they wanted to get rid of or something.

I haven't (in 22 years now) used that 200 amp capacity. In fact, I think my electrical draw has gone down because of things like LED lighting.

Darryl
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

mogunner, messing with the pulling of the meter is a VERY dangerous operation......and the subsequent refitting in the frame is even worse.......if you are going to do this, get some heavy duty rubber gloves and a thick rubber pad for your standing area.....always have a friend stand by with a 6 foot 2X4 to push you loose if something goes wrong......
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

tomaustin wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:18 pm mogunner, messing with the pulling of the meter is a VERY dangerous operation......and the subsequent refitting in the frame is even worse.......if you are going to do this, get some heavy duty rubber gloves and a thick rubber pad for your standing area.....always have a friend stand by with a 6 foot 2X4 to push you loose if something goes wrong......
Actually, around here, if you mess with the seal they put on the meter, you will get a fine and possibly your electrical turned off till "THEY" can inspect it for themselves. Also, They may have you go to the local "inspectors" and have them inspect it too. All while you power is turned off. Sort of a "punishment" I guess.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Well the inspectors came out today, they inspected the electrical (PASS), inspected the installation of the insulation (PASS). So now they can put up the drywall, mud, tape, etc, shoot the paint, do the baseboards, then flooring. They are looking to turn the house over by 28/29 July, so about 150 days beginning to end.....So looking forward to going home.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

ffuries wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:14 pm Well the inspectors came out today, they inspected the electrical (PASS), inspected the installation of the insulation (PASS). So now they can put up the drywall, mud, tape, etc, shoot the paint, do the baseboards, then flooring. They are looking to turn the house over by 28/29 July, so about 150 days beginning to end.....So looking forward to going home.
Ahhhhhhh, nothing like "home".

Darryl