Difference in vinage front sight tools?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fchaus

Difference in vinage front sight tools?

Post by fchaus »

I was looking at the front sight tools on ebay and searched about them here. One of the threads spoke of one for 91/30's and one for M44's. Whats the diffence?

Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Difference in vinage front sight tools?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Width of the sight base will vary on some M44's, while the 91/30 stayed the same. You have wide and narrow sight bases on M44's depending on the year. If you buy one, and the last ones I saw on eBay were imported from Ukraine, make sure you get the correct one for your rifle. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for more Ukranian imports with the current situation over there.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rired

Post by rired »

Ordered a 91-30 sniper bolt from the Ukraine 2 weeks ago and received it in 10 days. Don't believe all the propaganda.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rired wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:45 am Ordered a 91-30 sniper bolt from the Ukraine 2 weeks ago and received it in 10 days. Don't believe all the propaganda.
Not propaganda, just common sense that with a war going on over there they could be experiencing delays with the postal services. UPS, Fed-Ex and so on likely aren't flying in and out right now. Like ordering something in the states from an area hit by natural disaster, you know going in that there could be delays. Shipping spare Mosin parts to the states is likely a low priority at the moment.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

Right, I was just looking for now. Not sure if this is the the best time to order. The postings all say for 91/30. What is the differnce visually? Does anyone have pics of each?

Thanks.

Craig
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't have pictures of mine at the moment, they are stored away. They all look the same except some will have wider jaws to accept the wider sight bases found on some M44's.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A look on eBay shows numerous 91/30 sight tools, but none that I see for wide base M44's. Under shipping, these are from Ukraine, I see this from the seller- This package may be delayed due to shipping carrier service disruptions. Early M44's use the same sight base size as the 91/30 and M38, later war and post war M44's use the wide base. Easy way to tell what you have is to match it with any 91/30 sight. I did not see any sight tools, original Soviet ones, for the later M44.
https://russian-mosin-nagant.com/russia_m44.html

Search I did on eBay-
mosin nagant front sight adjustment tool
Theodore Roosevelt
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

Ok, Thanks for the info. Those posts had the blurb about the carrier service disruptions even before Russian invaded Ukraine. Can't imagine it got better, lol.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

The diameter of the barrel at the sight is different on pretty much every Mosin variant. The 91/30 sight tool that i manufacture uses a 5/8" hole, the M38 a 27/32". the early M44 a 47/64th". The 1945-up wide-base M44 sight base starts with a 47/64th" hole but is machined out in a large "U=shape"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

mogunner wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:34 pm The diameter of the barrel at the sight is different on pretty much every Mosin variant. The 91/30 sight tool that i manufacture uses a 5/8" hole, the M38 a 27/32". the early M44 a 47/64th". The 1945-up wide-base M44 sight base starts with a 47/64th" hole but is machined out in a large "U=shape"
You do know, of course, that there is something seriously wrong with someone who owns both a 27/32" and 47/64" drill bit...;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

SA1911a1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:03 pm
mogunner wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:34 pm The diameter of the barrel at the sight is different on pretty much every Mosin variant. The 91/30 sight tool that i manufacture uses a 5/8" hole, the M38 a 27/32". the early M44 a 47/64th". The 1945-up wide-base M44 sight base starts with a 47/64th" hole but is machined out in a large "U=shape"
You do know, of course, that there is something seriously wrong with someone who owns both a 27/32" and 47/64" drill bit...;)
Not when they are a machine shop :music2.gif:
Actually I use an 11/16th drill bit then ream to 27/32" and a 27/32" drill bit then ream to the 47/64th size! And it's kinda amazing how many of the milsurp rifles used that 47/64th" sizing, I use that on the early M44, the new style 44, the Schmidt-Rubin 1911- 96/11, the Lee Enfield 1917 and Pattern 14 as well.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:29 pm A look on eBay shows numerous 91/30 sight tools, but none that I see for wide base M44's. Under shipping, these are from Ukraine, I see this from the seller- This package may be delayed due to shipping carrier service disruptions. Early M44's use the same sight base size as the 91/30 and M38, later war and post war M44's use the wide base.
Close but not quite. The 91/30 has no ring around the barrel, the M38 and Polish WZ48 do that usually measure just a tad under the early M44's, I've run into a couple of the early M44's that needed the tool reamed to 3/4" instead of the 47/64" that most need. My early M44 tool can actually be used on the M38 and WZ48 is the user has any mechanical skills at all, it fits loosely but if you watch the placement it works fine. Had a customer leave a review on Amazon that the hole was too big and so I went back to making separate ones for the M38 and early M44. The 91/30, M38 and early M44 do use the same upper sight though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mogunner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:27 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:29 pm A look on eBay shows numerous 91/30 sight tools, but none that I see for wide base M44's. Under shipping, these are from Ukraine, I see this from the seller- This package may be delayed due to shipping carrier service disruptions. Early M44's use the same sight base size as the 91/30 and M38, later war and post war M44's use the wide base.
Close but not quite. The 91/30 has no ring around the barrel, the M38 and Polish WZ48 do that usually measure just a tad under the early M44's, I've run into a couple of the early M44's that needed the tool reamed to 3/4" instead of the 47/64" that most need. My early M44 tool can actually be used on the M38 and WZ48 is the user has any mechanical skills at all, it fits loosely but if you watch the placement it works fine. Had a customer leave a review on Amazon that the hole was too big and so I went back to making separate ones for the M38 and early M44. The 91/30, M38 and early M44 do use the same upper sight though.
Someplace in this mess I have at least two of your tools and all of the Soviet ones in the wood box's. It's been so many years since I had to adjust the sight on any Mosin that I have lost track of all the tools. If needed it's easier to just buy new tools, this is why I have fifty of the same size screwdrivers, I only know where one of them is at any given time. Back in the days when I was getting new Mosins in every other day I was constantly adjusting front sights so I didn't have to deploy or mount bayonets at the range.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I bought all three tools a long time ago... Don't use them often but when you need to, these tools work great. I don't know why someone would risk ordering one from Ukraine. I guess it depends on if you want a tool for it's functionality or for it's collectability.
gratakate

Post by gratakate »

This is the best post that I ever seen for today
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

[/quote]Someplace in this mess I have at least two of your tools and all of the Soviet ones in the wood box's. It's been so many years since I had to adjust the sight on any Mosin that I have lost track of all the tools. If needed it's easier to just buy new tools, this is why I have fifty of the same size screwdrivers, I only know where one of them is at any given time. Back in the days when I was getting new Mosins in every other day I was constantly adjusting front sights so I didn't have to deploy or mount bayonets at the range.
[/quote]

I hear ya on that, I have a set of Okie's headspace gauges and it's been probably 7 years or more since I used them. Won't get rid of them though, he was a hell of a guy. When I first got started and was chatting with him on machine setups, he went and made me a flycutter assembly and sent it to me and qouldn't take a dime for it, I use it at least once a week and think of him each time I set it up.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

qz2026 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:30 am I bought all three tools a long time ago... Don't use them often but when you need to, these tools work great. I don't know why someone would risk ordering one from Ukraine. I guess it depends on if you want a tool for it's functionality or for it's collectability.
They might not be the prettiest but they work is all I ask of them. If they don't work as I think they should, I stop making them. Made one for a guy to use on his Persian Mauser and while he was pleased with it I just wasn't happy with the minimal contact area those rifles had so discontinued it rather than have unhappy customers... although I still get one person now and then that for some reason just can't read the directions or even follow the picture!
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

@ Mogunner, For us here newer to the forum which sight tool is your design so us newbie's can check it out? This is not a paid endorsement. Just a guy who want to know. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

fchaus wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:24 pm @ Mogunner, For us here newer to the forum which sight tool is your design so us newbie's can check it out? This is not a paid endorsement. Just a guy who want to know. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well, I'm not sure whether the admins would be ok with my posting regarding my sight tool business as I'm no longer a paid advertiser on here... used to be a few years ago for reasons I had to stop. I'll just say that the business name is ELBY Custom services and a search on the internet will come up with links and videos and such and if the admins have a problem with it then they're welcome to delete this post, no intentions on stepping on anyones toes regarding unpaid advertising on the site.