Polish PU sniper? I'm back... [PICS]

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jerrywyy

Polish PU sniper? I'm back... [PICS]

Post by jerrywyy »

Howdy folks, I got my first PU sniper (a Tula refurb) in my previous post, which turned out to be a resnipered-ex. Really appreciate the helps I got here; fortunately I was able to return it to the seller and got my money back. Anyways I kept looking for authentic snipers afterward and came across this blondie yesterday. I didn’t know what it was, but the impulse got the best of me, and I took it for $1500.

The receiver is an Izhevsk 43, where the bolt, and the mag plate seem to be original matching (similar font). Too bad the scope and mount is not matching. The stock is restamp forced-matched, which seemed to be made from beech, in a similar fashion as my polish M44. Both rifles have a small diamond stamped on the butt, but the PU has no other markings on the stock. Could this rifle be a soviet PU in polish service? I hope this time its not a bubba/gunsmith job…

The overall shape of the rifle:

Details of the stock:

Details of the metal:

The bore:

Please forgive the horrific bore pic. The bore on this one is really nice, probably the best I've seen on a mosin. The lands and groves are polished like a mirror surface, which almost look like a chrome-lined barrel.

The scope details:

The scope has no soviet refurb mark on it, and looks more beat-up than the rest of the rifle. The metal ring near the objective is in white, which is very strange...

The bolt details:

The bolt is in good shape, and seems to be all izhevsk parts. The shape of the handle looks correct, although there is a small cavity near the base (see last picture). This cavity worries me because it indicates the handle was welded on... What do you guys think?
racerguy00

Re: Polish PU sniper? I'm back... [PICS]

Post by racerguy00 »

Looks just like the few other Polish-refurbed PUs I've seen. That's a serious upgrade from your other rifle. Well done.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
jerrywyy

Post by jerrywyy »

racerguy00 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:09 pm Looks just like the few other Polish-refurbed PUs I've seen. That's a serious upgrade from your other rifle. Well done.
Thanks! Glad I've finally got a real sniper!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've never seen one, that's a beauty. I agree the bore is primo, not been too many rounds went thru it. Do you PU guys think it was captured as a PU and then the Polish stock was added post war ? :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
jerrywyy

Post by jerrywyy »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:20 am I've never seen one, that's a beauty. I agree the bore is primo, not been too many rounds went thru it. Do you PU guys think it was captured as a PU and then the Polish stock was added post war ? :vcool:
I've got no clue since I am just dipping my toes in the PUs. If I had to bet, it was probably supplied to Poland late/post war with a bunch of scopes/parts etc. The good bore, plus the similar style of fonts on metal serials makes me suspect the rifle was never issued before being sent to the Pols. Also, the only indication that this rifle is from Poland is the beech stock and a tiny stamp on the butt.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I think you have a Polish re-blue also. Russian blueing wasn't that deep or black.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

made from a box of parts, reblued, no provenance, questionably never near a battlefield, it may look like a sniper, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.......keep looking for a true sniper...they are out there, but this ain't one.......
Rtop01

Post by Rtop01 »

tomaustin wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:01 am made from a box of parts, reblued, no provenance, questionably never near a battlefield, it may look like a sniper, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.......keep looking for a true sniper...they are out there, but this ain't one.......
Whoa, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Rtop01

Post by Rtop01 »

Beautiful polish rework TS!
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

tomaustin wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:01 am made from a box of parts, reblued, no provenance, questionably never near a battlefield, it may look like a sniper, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.......keep looking for a true sniper...they are out there, but this ain't one.......
Put the pipe down sir.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Honestly, you are so far from the truth. Not very helpful either. :wink:

To the original poster:
Nice Polish PU sniper rifle you have there.
Here is it's little Brother a "Polish" M44,
m44_001.jpg
m44_004.jpg
m44_005.jpg
m44_017.jpg

Unless tomaustin thinks mine is a "fake" too. :chuckles:

Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Darryl wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:52 pm

To the original poster:

m44_001.jpg

m44_004.jpg

m44_005.jpg

m44_017.jpg

Darryl
Very nice Darryl,
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
jerrywyy

Post by jerrywyy »

To the original poster:

m44_001.jpg

m44_004.jpg

m44_005.jpg

m44_017.jpg

Darryl
Very cool! I see the butt plate is stamped without prefix, is this a polish reworked soviet rifle or the new ones made in Radom?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

jerrywyy wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:52 am

To the original poster:

m44_001.jpg

m44_004.jpg

m44_005.jpg

m44_017.jpg

Darryl
Very cool! I see the butt plate is stamped without prefix, is this a polish reworked soviet rifle or the new ones made in Radom?

It's just like yours is. It's a Russian reworked by Poland.

Darryl
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Is it just me or does it look like the stock didn't get the TLC normally devoted to a sniper on the fitment of receiver to lumber? The inletting looks a little off to me, but I am surely no expert.

In any case it is a nice rifle.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:50 pm Is it just me or does it look like the stock didn't get the TLC normally devoted to a sniper on the fitment of receiver to lumber? The inletting looks a little off to me, but I am surely no expert.

In any case it is a nice rifle.
It was not done by the Russians. The standard for "fit" is a little different for these Polish rebuilds.
They seemed to really put a lot of effort into the blueing, and less into the wood.

Darryl
gratakate

Post by gratakate »

Is hard to macerate with that kind of sniper?
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

macerate......

practicing your verbal skills....? which synonym do you prefer..? drench, drown, impregnate, saturate, soak, sodden, sop, souse, or steep........