AP at the range

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
steelbuttplate

AP at the range

Post by steelbuttplate »

I got a little '54 black tip for the M-1 in a trade, tried a few today. The first round punched clean thru. The second (middle) was Greek HXP just for comparison, cracked the steel on the back side. The third, wow the penetrator stuck halfway, doesn't seem to be a scratch on it. The railroad measured slightly over 1/2 inch there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
tomaustin

Re: AP at the range

Post by tomaustin »

any of those three would make a fellow change the direction in which he was headed......
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The round that stuck, you can see where it grazed the underside of the track, changing the impact enough to give it the downhill position you can see that it stopped in. I wonder how many bodies without armor = 1/2 inch steel. Has anybody ever shot any 3/4 ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I got about 20 rounds of the black-tip stuff some years ago and haven't fired any yet. I am saving it for the day that I need to put down a sick car.

What is amazing is that I watched a video, advertising a "bullet-proof" vest and it stopped the black tip fired from about 50'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmy2ywMl5iI
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

RR rail? You wasted that? Cut it up into small sections and sell it as little anvils on eBay. I was getting 35-45 a chunk a few years back before I ran out of rail. Not easy shit to saw up.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:17 am RR rail? You wasted that? Cut it up into small sections and sell it as little anvils on eBay. I was getting 35-45 a chunk a few years back before I ran out of rail. Not easy shit to saw up.
. This is one of my anvils, just with two more holes in it now. That's my railroad spike twister stuck on the end. Steel core Mosin ammo had about the same effect as a regular M1 round.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:20 am The round that stuck, you can see where it grazed the underside of the track, changing the impact enough to give it the downhill position you can see that it stopped in. I wonder how many bodies without armor = 1/2 inch steel. Has anybody ever shot any 3/4 ?
Several years back while at Camp Perry I picked up a few hundred rounds of each type. Playing around at the shop a little later with the AP shooting it through a O3A3 it would go through 3/4 steel plates off the hydraulic press very easy. After a few rounds of that I (C) clamped two plates together and shot that at about 25 yards and it would almost go through the 1 1/2". A couple rounds of that and one of the bolts came back at me and hit the side of the building behind me. That was the end of my testing for a long time now. I've very surprised the general public can purchase that bad azz chit.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Jbob wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:23 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:20 am The round that stuck, you can see where it grazed the underside of the track, changing the impact enough to give it the downhill position you can see that it stopped in. I wonder how many bodies without armor = 1/2 inch steel. Has anybody ever shot any 3/4 ?
Several years back while at Camp Perry I picked up a few hundred rounds of each type. Playing around at the shop a little later with the AP shooting it through a O3A3 it would go through 3/4 steel plates off the hydraulic press very easy. After a few rounds of that I (C) clamped two plates together and shot that at about 25 yards and it would almost go through the 1 1/2". A couple rounds of that and one of the bolts came back at me and hit the side of the building behind me. That was the end of my testing for a long time now. I've very surprised the general public can purchase that bad azz chit.
I had a penetrator whiz by my head, that came back off of a 5 lb. steel block, loose, that got knocked off the stump onto the ground. That seemed to defy some physics laws. I shoot these minimum 50 yds. now.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:45 pm
Jbob wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:23 pm
I had a penetrator whiz by my head, that came back off of a 5 lb. steel block, loose, that got knocked off the stump onto the ground. That seemed to defy some physics laws. I shoot these minimum 50 yds. now.
I'm sure by now everyone's seen this but it's worth another look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QokV7HzJhG4
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I shot that crap from 100 yards minimum, and had a wall of sandbags in front of my bench. Never had one come back that I know of, but always expected one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt