Bore scope of my new old m44L

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SnakeJaw

Bore scope of my new old m44L

Post by SnakeJaw »

Hi folks, just ran across a Soviet marked m44L at a gun store (the intermediate length with locking bayonet), all serial numbers match and the exterior is in very good shape. Ran a bore scope through it and considering how good the rest of the condition is in was surprised at how little rifling was left in there. Figured I’d post the scopes for the collective hive mind and see if anyone has any feedback on it.
B89DC8D7-AA83-448C-88D2-17FAC73F0A2E.jpeg
DECE9398-43F6-42FA-89E2-1A502B014132.jpeg
Main front scope and firing pin test:

Side scope for better depth perception:

Obviously having matching serial numbers is a benefit to collectors items, so I’m going to pass on rebarreling… but will it still shoot ok with what’s left? Or is it destined to be a long term rack queen? Interested to hear other fellow collector’s thoughts! This is my first Soviet addition to my collection so any knowledge is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Re: Bore scope of my new old m44L

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've had '44's like that that would still hold a 4-5 " group at 50 yd. I don't ever remember a Mosin with wild groups or key holing. I had a '20 Lithgow .303 that would keyhole with milsurp ammo, but still do pretty well with commercial soft point.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I will run a guess here and say that bore is the result of some American Bubba not knowing about corrosive primed ammo before shooting it. I have bought more than 50 Soviet refurb carbines back in the day, some had counterbores, not one had a bore looking like that. Only time I seen that was in a Chinese type 53, they were known to have been used rough. The Soviets could and did slack here and there, but not to the point of letting seriously eroded bores slip by (assuming this M44 has an import mark on it and isn't something from the Balkan wars or North Korea/Vietnam) These rifles are now 25-30 years since imports began in the early to mid 90's. Lots of USA owners could have had hands on it in that time causing all sorts of havoc. SHoot it and see how well it does, still a piece of history no matter what is in the bore.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SnakeJaw

Post by SnakeJaw »

Very true, I think you’re right about it just being abused, it does have import marks from CAI Georgia VT, where it’s mislabeled as just a standard ‘m44’ (from what I understand this happened with most import 44L models). bore has very little rust though, it just looks shot to hell. Lots of interesting markings on it, wonder if any of you who are better educated than myself about the Russian markings can piece some info together?
92D64BBF-CBF4-442C-B8F1-CD827D1F18CF.jpeg
1649CF6C-8B22-43B4-ADE7-13BE1C85C6DC.jpeg
762D303B-230A-4023-B352-15FF07A66087.jpeg
02B001F4-D59A-4579-9DAD-7D35C0E394B9.jpeg
5954EB2C-B483-4401-A2B2-BF94B9DF39B6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

How long is the barrel on that?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Looks like a standard m44 to me? As far as what's called the M44L goes, (I forget the Soviet designation) last I knew there were only 2 or 3 known in the US.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SnakeJaw

Post by SnakeJaw »

You’re right! My bad. I knew the L was ‘more unique’ but didn’t know they were that rare! The upside down L on the receiver after 1944 was what made me assume it was an L. I watched an in depth video about the L and can now say I’d be able to spot one, if I’m ever so lucky.

So what does the upside down L after 1944 mean? Is that a symbol for carbine? Given that it’s a standard m44, is there any reason to keep it in exactly the shape it’s in now (without recutting new grooves to improve shootability etc)? I guess there’s a possibility that it saw service in ww2 given the manufacture date, and how bad the barrel is shot out. Is there a way to tell that though with these 1944 issues?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The r looking thing after the date means "year".
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Have you fired it yet? Take it out and shoot it both with the bayonet extended and folded. Try different types of ammo too, have fun with it. It may do better than you think.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SnakeJaw

Post by SnakeJaw »

racerguy00 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:08 pm Have you fired it yet? Take it out and shoot it both with the bayonet extended and folded. Try different types of ammo too, have fun with it. It may do better than you think.
Not yet; planning on slugging the bore this weekend to find what diameter will help hedge my bets, then I’ll be reloading some to hopefully shoot next week. even if it’s not accurate it’ll be fun to shoot
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SnakeJaw wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:02 am
racerguy00 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:08 pm Have you fired it yet? Take it out and shoot it both with the bayonet extended and folded. Try different types of ammo too, have fun with it. It may do better than you think.
Not yet; planning on slugging the bore this weekend to find what diameter will help hedge my bets, then I’ll be reloading some to hopefully shoot next week. even if it’s not accurate it’ll be fun to shoot
Some guys on here shoot cast bullets in their rifles .
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SnakeJaw

Post by SnakeJaw »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:37 am
SnakeJaw wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:02 am
Some guys on here shoot cast bullets in their rifles .

Excellent, I cast often for my 44-40s … will have to do some digging around here to see what molds people are using for these m44s. Thinking of using 4895 as powder… thankfully just got stocked up on primers!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

When I first got my M38 I couldn't hit a barndoor with it. Finally noticed the crown was buggered up pretty good from cleaning. I bought a tool like this, and it worked well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/130735761109?h ... XQU6tRARA8
Used lapping compound and a drill to do it. Used figure of eight pattern while using the drill.
After recrowning and using a scout scope type mount it was very accurate.

Bill
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a bore, described as lightly frosted on Bungroper. ;)

Yea, it is ugly, but how does it shoot? At one time I was buying T-53s three at the time from Omega Weapons System. (RIP) for around a hundred bucks. I ended up with some that were smoothbores; they would keyhole at ten yards. I have also seen some gritty looking bores that still shot better than I do.

I suspect that rebarreling a M-44 would cost about as much as buying another M-44. In that case you would have twice the money in a gun worth half as much as an original.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SnakeJaw

Post by SnakeJaw »

Well, I just tried slugging the bore and had a real rough time. I’ve done this hundreds of times on various rifles without incident but on this one, I started with a .318 soft lead ball and a long brass rod. The ball starts properly, but after about 8 inches the ball jams up in the barrel and the brass rod starts to punch through the ball instead of continuing to push it through the bore. After punching through the ball I tapped around the edges of the ball to get it out. Retrieved it from the receiver and tried again 2 more times with the same result. Is there like an internal barrel lug or something in this design that would cause a hang up like that? I’m stumped. And I can’t even get an accurate read on bore diameter this way.
ADAEB338-3636-465E-83D1-0C8652FE3082.jpeg
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Put oil on it.

C. S. Lewis
SnakeJaw

Post by SnakeJaw »

millman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:40 amPut oil on it.
Well, it was so simple that it worked. The ball came out showing little sign of grooves and measured at 0.313 which from what I understand is 2 thou larger than groove diameter… so somewhere down the line, 11 thou worth of lands eroded, and 2 more thou eroded after that :shock: maybe it was just rusted so deep and someone took a steel brush on a drill and got it looking ‘shiny’. Either way, it’s my problem now. should I be looking at bullets sized at 0.313”?
E46C3392-77D9-4586-AA7D-AF4244598E1D.jpeg
5F26678E-456A-4D5A-9820-D3082EE748A2.jpeg
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Have you ever shot that rifle?

C. S. Lewis
SnakeJaw

Post by SnakeJaw »

Not yet, trying to get a load together so I can
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The Finns used .311 bullets in .309 bores if I remember correctly.