M1 Garand fair price?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
matt167

M1 Garand fair price?

Post by matt167 »

Since I've gotten the itch to buy a few milsurps lately with some disposable income. I have been looking at obtaining an M1 Garand as kind of a center piece/ investment but prices seem to run from $1,000- crazy prices.

What is a fair market value on something that isn't 'special' beyond being an M1 Garand? No low S/N ect... The local gun shop has a 1943 Springfield manufactured for $1,999 and it has worn metal and a dinged up stock. I'm thinking he's $5-600 high. I'm hoping that $1,500 can get something decent, even on Gunbroker
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M1 Garand fair price?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

For a real USGI M1 Garand you will have to pay, they are highly sought after and expensive even when it's the basic issue rifle configuration. Cheap ones would have me looking for rewelded receivers, or rifles built on cast receivers, that sort of thing. Back before '86 when imports were once again allowed the M1 was a $500 rifle, adjust that for inflation since 1985 and you are around $1300, and I saw M1's with higher asking prices than that back then. In '92 I paid the least I ever did for the M1, a Blue Sky import from South Korea for $150, about 290 something in 2021 bucks. That period lasted five seconds before prices started going up again, and they never stopped going up. Remember this is a rifle so sought after that people were taking government cut receivers and rewelding them back together in a sometimes successful attempt to make a shooting M1 rifle. Most were pretty bad, wallhangers at best, and dangerous, but that was before they became available again on the milsurp market for a few years. GI Joes rifle and everyone wants one, who woulda thunk it? Because of the rewelds and other mockups that are out there now coming out of the woodwork again be very careful of what you buy. Learn to spot these rifles, internet searches will turn up pic's of rewelds and such, deal with reputable sellers. Tack on all the Covid era panic buying and M1's are harder to come by than ever. It's an honor and a privilege's to own the rifle GI Joe carried across North Africa, France, Germany, the pacific islands all the way to Japan, then carried it again across Korea while kicking ass. Two grand wouldn't even make me think about considering parting with an M1. CMP was pretty sold out last I looked, but they may have something, and are your best bet.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

As said another alternative to get one cheaper is to join the CMP. They only have Special Rack Grade $750.00 and Expert Grade $1000.00 rifles available as of now. Don't know when they'll restock the other grades.

The thing is on the secondary market M1 Garands are consistently North of $1000.00, I haven't seen a Garand under a grand outside of CMP in a while. I picked up my Garand in Mar 2018 for $849.99 at a gunstore, at the time a CMP one would have been $650.00, but they were sold out again.

See your PMs I sent a couple links for the CMP.
Last edited by ffuries on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

A typical brick and mortar LGS has to make a profit on everything but I think 2 grand for an M 1 is too steep. Check out the CMP and other stores in the area
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I don't have a Garand, but if I were in the market, I'd go the CMP route.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ironnewt wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 pm A typical brick and mortar LGS has to make a profit on everything but I think 2 grand for an M 1 is too steep. Check out the CMP and other stores in the area
A lot of small shops are having difficulty maintaining inventory, that could be one reason for the high price. They need to keep something on the shelf or start selling garden produce, and cut rate DVD's. Shops here have been cold calling good customers and asking them if they want to sell firearms on consignment. Listing price up to the customer if they are agreeable.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

This guys shop is pretty well stocked and a lot of it is fair price. However it's not my go to shop. I have not walked into my 'regular' shop yet as his hours are short and he runs it out of his garage ( his rifle display only has capacity for 20 guns or so ). But if I FFL an M1 Garand, he will be who I trust it to go to, and I can guarantee he does not have one on the rack.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:50 pm I don't have a Garand, but if I were in the market, I'd go the CMP route.
:pointup: Join a club, do the forms, go the distance. The only deal left on these rifles is CMP. If your ready to spend a grand I'd lock in one of those expert grade furies is talking bout. A special rack would be nice too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Forms, what forms? When I bought my Garands I just handed over cash, said thank you and left the flea market, or the home of whoever I bought it from. First came the Springfield , then the Winchester, after that was the H&R, and last the most difficult to find, IHC rounding out my US government M1 manufacturer collection. Some extras showed up when the price was right. That was during the happy time 1987-1995 when everything was cheap and plentiful so far as milsurps went. The mosin hoard brought it back for a brief time a few years later, but now it will never be seen again.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:36 am Forms, what forms? When I bought my Garands I just handed over cash, said thank you and left the flea market, or the home of whoever I bought it from. First came the Springfield , then the Winchester, after that was the H&R, and last the most difficult to find, IHC rounding out my US government M1 manufacturer collection. Some extras showed up when the price was right. That was during the happy time 1987-1995 when everything was cheap and plentiful so far as milsurps went. The mosin hoard brought it back for a brief time a few years later, but now it will never be seen again.
See thats the thing, there is no M-1 Garand at the flea mkt. for $300 bucks anymore. But you can get one about half market price for going thru some red tape, and I had a 4 month wait. Worth it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:49 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:36 am Forms, what forms? When I bought my Garands I just handed over cash, said thank you and left the flea market, or the home of whoever I bought it from. First came the Springfield , then the Winchester, after that was the H&R, and last the most difficult to find, IHC rounding out my US government M1 manufacturer collection. Some extras showed up when the price was right. That was during the happy time 1987-1995 when everything was cheap and plentiful so far as milsurps went. The mosin hoard brought it back for a brief time a few years later, but now it will never be seen again.
See thats the thing, there is no M-1 Garand at the flea mkt. for $300 bucks anymore. But you can get one about half market price for going thru some red tape, and I had a 4 month wait. Worth it.
I never paid $300 for any M1 at a flea market. Flea markets I paid $200 or less for the very brief time they appeared at the flea markets. They were there so short a time that had you blinked you would have missed them. If someone was to be seen taking an M1 out and placing it on a flea market table today, assuming all the gun police were off getting coffee, time would freeze as every gun guy there would lock eyes on that in an instant. Then the mad rush for that table, fists would fly, shoves, maybe some cutting. The fastest better have cash in one hand, and loaded clip in the other.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I looked into the CMP. I need the life fire training certification to comply since I've never had the urge to hunt, and the local range doesn't have time right now.

However I have ordered a rifle. Pics and explanation when I get it.. It was the most fair price outside of the CMP but from someone who specializes in M1 Garand and O3A3 and guaranteed not to be a re weld
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

matt167 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:33 am I looked into the CMP. I need the life fire training certification to comply since I've never had the urge to hunt, and the local range doesn't have time right now.

However I have ordered a rifle. Pics and explanation when I get it.. It was the most fair price outside of the CMP but from someone who specializes in M1 Garand and O3A3 and guaranteed not to be a re weld
You can use a C&R license or a Concealed Carry permit in place of the live fire training. Well worth the savings... Unfortunately you can only buy 8 M1 Garand rifles per year. :chuckles:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Asking the price of a Garand is like asking how much does a car cost.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I don't have a C&R as it's almost meaningless in NY and getting a CCW permit in my county is BS in itself.

I have for sure bought cheaper cars than an M1 Garand, but I've actually bought cars cheaper than a Mosin as well. My first car was the low low price of $400.

As far as how much this cost me, it was twice the CMP price but well below the Gunbroker price or my local dealers price. I won't say who I got it from until I have it in my hands
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

An M1 Garand up here in canuckistan will set you back about $2500 cdn.

That's a lot when you're on a pension. :(
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Sonny wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:17 pm An M1 Garand up here in canuckistan will set you back about $2500 cdn.

That basically equals out when the exchange rate is factored.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

matt167 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:40 pm
Sonny wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:17 pm An M1 Garand up here in canuckistan will set you back about $2500 cdn.

That basically equals out when the exchange rate is factored.
I'm having an anxiety attack over your rifle :? do you have tracking ? OH, the stress. :bigrant: I'm gonna go kill a deer. :furious: KILL.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

The shop I used for the FFL transfer has a tracking number since he actually took care of getting his license forwarded and shipping address and everything , but I have not had time to call him to get it, as his hours are shortened this time of year during the hunting season. However it's only coming from 1 state away and the place I got it from is reputable as well as the shipment being fully insured
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

IT WILL ARRIVE WHEN IT GETS THERE.....................