M1 carbine failure

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Re: M1 carbine failure

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:27 pm Well, the rifle is at Fulton Armory and I just paid the repair bill-$1,230. Turns out that the rifle was in need of an overhaul, including a new barrel. It should be good for years to come. I've requested the original parts to be returned, so the parts will stay with it.
Wow......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ffuries wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:32 pm
awalker1829 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:27 pm Well, the rifle is at Fulton Armory and I just paid the repair bill-$1,230. Turns out that the rifle was in need of an overhaul, including a new barrel. It should be good for years to come. I've requested the original parts to be returned, so the parts will stay with it.
Wow......
:beek:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Dang! $1,230 repair bill :beek:
Man that's rough, hopefully it's good for more than a few years.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Tula44 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:09 pm Dang! $1,230 repair bill :beek:
Considering that it’ll essentially be a new rifle built on my Inland receiver, it’ll be good for a very long time. :D
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Well, the rifle arrived home today and it looks pretty good.

New stock, new barrel, new slide, new springs, new extractor and a new front sight should make for a great shooter. All of the replaced parts came back with the rifle.

Close up of the refinished metal. Really good looking job they did.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

awalker1829 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:02 am
Tula44 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:09 pm Dang! $1,230 repair bill :beek:
Considering that it’ll essentially be a new rifle built on my Inland receiver, it’ll be good for a very long time. :D
It lasted 76 yrs in the shape it was in, and must have had the hell shot out of it, it's good for generations now with good care. The magazine issues you and JYD described were the whole problem with the newer Universal I had. Their latch is inferior and won't hold a GI mag where it need to be, causing stove piping and failure to feed. After modification on a couple mags it worked fine. Thankfully mine never threw a hand guard and :bonk: brained me.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Surprisingly, the bore of the old barrel was in good shape-the problem was headspace and a very worn crown. Anyways, it's good now. Now I need to get more ammunition for it.
Johngrey8220

Post by Johngrey8220 »

M1 Carbine is a good choice but sometimes it proves us wrong.