You can't teach idiots......

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

You can't teach idiots......

Post by ffuries »

At the entrance of our subdivision, there is a 4 way stop. I pulled up to the stop sign, left signal on, and stopped, everything is clear. As I proceed to pull forward and start my turn, another vehicle coming from the opposite direction coasts right through the stop sign into my path. I had to slam the brakes to avoid hitting her front drivers fender.

The idiot then proceeds to continue her way through the intersection, giving me dirty looks, like it was my fault. I'm sick and tired of distracted drivers, bad drivers etc. The law needs to hammer these idiots.......

I put a post on the online neighborhood bulletin board, had to take a screen capture as it wouldn't let me copy the text........Waiting for the excitement to start....

:devil2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Re: You can't teach idiots......

Post by SA1911a1 »

I remember our Driver's Ed instructor telling us that he never stopped at four way stops because he depended on everyone else to do so. His favorite story lines always ended in, "There was, "Hair, teeth and eyeballs all over the pavement." We lost a lot when driver's ed was dropped from school.

A lot of people just do not know how to act at a four way stop, or for that matter a two way stop. Over in Tallahassee they are converting a lot of busy four ways to roundabouts. The driver failure that makes me homicidal is people not using a turn signal in heavy traffic when you are waiting on them so that you can turn. You know it has to piss them off when it happens to them but apparently they can't connect the dots. It makes me want to follow them until they park and bust out all of their signal lamps because they sure as hell don't ever use them, and it is a waste of gasoline hauling that extra weight around.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:23 pm I remember our Driver's Ed instructor telling us that he never stopped at four way stops because he depended on everyone else to do so. His favorite story lines always ended in, "There was, "Hair, teeth and eyeballs all over the pavement." We lost a lot when driver's ed was dropped from school.

A lot of people just do not know how to act at a four way stop, or for that matter a two way stop. Over in Tallahassee they are converting a lot of busy four ways to roundabouts. The driver failure that makes me homicidal is people not using a turn signal in heavy traffic when you are waiting on them so that you can turn. You know it has to piss them off when it happens to them but apparently they can't connect the dots. It makes me want to follow them until they park and bust out all of their signal lamps because they sure as hell don't ever use them, and it is a waste of gasoline hauling that extra weight around.
There was a lady in the neighborhood some years back that got ticketed running the stop signs at the intersection. Not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times, all in the same day by the same deputy. People just don't care! Speed limit is 15 through here, and they do 25, doesn't matter which direction they are going they always take the corner infront of our house so sharp they have eroded the corner there back 15 feet. The city just paved over it and made the corner wider, so they take it even sharper and faster now.

People out there scare the hell out of me with their driving skills, well actually their lack of driving skills.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I got hit like Friday. Here’s my diagram I sent insurance. I’m the black car. But they took the woman’s word over mine. I’m waiting on a passing sheriff deputy’s statement. He left after we moved out of the median and the trooper botched the report.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Brake Weight wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:37 pm I got hit like Friday. Here’s my diagram I sent insurance. I’m the black car. But they took the woman’s word over mine. I’m waiting on a passing sheriff deputy’s statement. He left after we moved out of the median and the trooper botched the report.

Had I not hit my brakes, I would have hit her, and it would have been a he said, she said thing. Then I would be in the boat you are. I rather hit my brakes hard, than be involved in an accident....But these people continue to do this without any repercussions, and as long as they continue to get away with it, they won't stop.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

ffuries wrote:
Brake Weight wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:37 pm I got hit like Friday. Here’s my diagram I sent insurance. I’m the black car. But they took the woman’s word over mine. I’m waiting on a passing sheriff deputy’s statement. He left after we moved out of the median and the trooper botched the report.

Had I not hit my brakes, I would have hit her, and it would have been a he said, she said thing. Then I would be in the boat you are. I rather hit my brakes hard, than be involved in an accident....But these people continue to do this without any repercussions, and as long as they continue to get away with it, they won't stop.
Absolutely. I never saw her coming. I crossed and stayed to the right as you’re supposed to and my eyes went right to look for oncoming traffic. She exited her subdivision and went wide left directly into me. She was looking to her right as well but did not stay where the good folks of driver’s ed teach.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Brake Weight wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:53 pm
ffuries wrote:

Absolutely. I never saw her coming. I crossed and stayed to the right as you’re supposed to and my eyes went right to look for oncoming traffic. She exited her subdivision and went wide left directly into me. She was looking to her right as well but did not stay where the good folks of driver’s ed teach.
A few years ago I was taking a turn from one road to another, there were two turn lanes going into two lanes. I was in the right lane, a truck in the left lane, as we took the turn the truck in the left lane strayed all the way over into my lane and literally ran me off the road. I almost ended up in the ditch, the ground was soft and I bogged down. The truck kept going on its way, the people behind me in a truck, stopped and pulled me out of the mud.

A week or so after 9-11, a few days before shipping out, we had a delivery at the shop. I was pulling out to grab breakfast and told the driver to let me pull out and make room for him to back up. Nope the SOB backed right into me, almost rolled me.

I'm literally scared of how people drive nowadays, no situational awareness, they have no driving etiquette, are habitually driving while distracted. The laws have been slow to catch up with technology and there is no accountability anymore.

Just like the idiots you see out there with no trigger or muzzle discipline. People are getting dumber and dumber.
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Yes. I rack up around 2000 miles a month. It amazes me time and time again how careless people are behind the wheel.
Abraham Lincoln
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

This is why I always expect the worst from other drivers. I NEVER assume they will drive properly & leave room for their inevitable screw ups. Truckers are an issue this year.... They drive a whole lot & many times I can see those Tired ones a mile away. When passing one on the interstat I always do so on a straight & I buzz past quickly.

A$$ HAT drivers are one of the main reasons I refuse to ride Motorcycles on the road.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rongo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 pm This is why I always expect the worst from other drivers. I NEVER assume they will drive properly & leave room for their inevitable screw ups. Truckers are an issue this year.... They drive a whole lot & many times I can see those Tired ones a mile away. When passing one on the interstat I always do so on a straight & I buzz past quickly.

A$$ HAT drivers are one of the main reasons I refuse to ride Motorcycles on the road.
Back when I was young, dumb, and bulletproof I rode a motorcycle, after two years of near misses, I was finally swiped by a drunk driver. No major damage to the bike or me, but it scared me bad enough that I never rode again. I tried to push the bike back to the base, the deputy who took the report, saw me an hour later pushing the bike. He called dispatch, someone came with a pickup and hauled me to the gate. Pushed the bike into the drunk lot and left it there for a few months.

Then moved it to the barracks parking lot, where it sat for a year. After I married my wife, my FIL and I drug it out to their place on base. We cleaned it up, replaced the rotted tires, got it re-registered, he rode it off and on for a year between his bike and truck. By then I was off on a 4 year tour to Germany, and my wife asked if I would consider selling it, my bike and my FIL's bike were sold to another GI.......

Don't get me wrong, I love bikes, but I get close to one and I start shaking.......We're talking 34 years ago this happen!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fifty years, fifty fucking years, that's how long the 8" tall chain link fence with green metal strips weaved into it has stood in front of our shop. Until a couple of weeks back it was in perfect condition. Then along comes a stupid kid chatting on her fucking cell phone instead of driving the fucking car, blasted through a stop sign at the end of the road. Noticed halfway in and hit the gas instead of the brake. Clipped a pole, bounced across the street, over a berm narrowly missing a retention pond, up the bank, through the decorative bushes, down the bank, bounced across a ditch, screamed across the street, and slammed a Chrysler Pacifica, and the fence. She neve took her foot off the gas the entire time. Leaves it running and in gear against the fence while stumbling out seconds after the crash still holding said cell phone. I came boiling out of the building fully expecting to see my vintage Rav4 smashed to shit, and the $350 in antique records inside all shattered. She's alive because she missed the car. She then asks me if I think she should shut it off......things devolved quickly after that and she went and hid in the deli until the deputy's got there. I didn't know she went in there and told the deputies she left on foot carrying a number of suspicious bags. They tested her for booze and such, then an hour later let her go, we are shoving it up her insurance company's ass big time, six grand for fence repair, and five for the Pacifica. Idiots, brain dead morons dumber than a box of rocks. No test for stupid apparently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Hope you got to keep her car........
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

entropy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:11 pm Hope you got to keep her car........
Police had it towed, what happens to it will be up to her insurance company, but auction is likely as it's totaled.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Part of the problem is lots of people don't understand "right of way." We have a this one 4 way w/ flashing red / yellow. People will stop on the yellow and try to wave somebody thru on red, because she doesn't have a clue who has right of way, even at a damn light.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Last October I was lucky enough to draw a permit to hunt on a Federal Wildlife preserve. I am getting everything together and realize I need something. Take the boss's truck and leave my development. Intersection is controlled by a light. I get a green signal pull into the intersection intent on making a left. I have to stop for traffic coming the other way going straight. Out of the corner of my eye I see a red blur screaming down the road I was about to turn onto. Guy going straight stands on his brakes and the red car misses him by inches. She smashes into me and knocks my truck 45 degrees off its initial direction and fucks up the left front fender and the whole front bumper. She totals her car. I bounced about in the cab and screwed up my right ankle (again) and end up in the hospital. She claimed she had the green but 3 witnesses say she didn't. Missed the damned hunt and the guys I go with did well. She paid the tickets and her insurance went up but what good did it do me?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ironnewt wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:07 am Last October I was lucky enough to draw a permit to hunt on a Federal Wildlife preserve. I am getting everything together and realize I need something. Take the boss's truck and leave my development. Intersection is controlled by a light. I get a green signal pull into the intersection intent on making a left. I have to stop for traffic coming the other way going straight. Out of the corner of my eye I see a red blur screaming down the road I was about to turn onto. Guy going straight stands on his brakes and the red car misses him by inches. She smashes into me and knocks my truck 45 degrees off its initial direction and fucks up the left front fender and the whole front bumper. She totals her car. I bounced about in the cab and screwed up my right ankle (again) and end up in the hospital. She claimed she had the green but 3 witnesses say she didn't. Missed the damned hunt and the guys I go with did well. She paid the tickets and her insurance went up but what good did it do me?
get an ambulance chaser lawyer and launch the personal injury lawsuit, this is someone who deserves it.
Theodore Roosevelt