Elk Hunting Pack

Laynha

Elk Hunting Pack

Post by Laynha »

I am looking to purchase a new pack for a rifle elk hunting trip in the North Side Unit around Thanksgiving.

I will be using it as a day pack and I would prefer to be able to haul meat with it. It also needs to be hydration system compatible. Cost isn't really an issue.

Does anyone have any recomendations for pack?
steelbuttplate

Re: Elk Hunting Pack

Post by steelbuttplate »

Laynha wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:47 am I am looking to purchase a new pack for a rifle elk hunting trip in the North Side Unit around Thanksgiving.

I will be using it as a day pack and I would prefer to be able to haul meat with it. It also needs to be hydration system compatible. Cost isn't really an issue.

Does anyone have any recomendations for pack?
I've got a Cabela's Moose pack I've had 30 yrs. It's still a good one.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
tomcurran545

Re: Elk Hunting Pack

Post by tomcurran545 »

I personally use a .308, and it works well for deer and elk. Some people think that a .308 is too light, which I disagree with, but if you are one of those people, a 30–06 works great too. My dad has hunted elk and deer with a Japanese Mauser chambered in 30–06 since before I was born, and taken countless of both. When I was 15 I used his rifle to take a cow elk at 75 yards, I shot her once and she dropped instantly. Both of those calibers work very well, but nowadays a .308 might be easier to find than a 30–06. If you are looking for a rifle that fires one of these, try a Savage Axis or a Ruger American rifle, both are under $500. My .308 is a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic, but it's a little more spendy than those other two rifles.