What is this?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
capt14k

Re: What is this?

Post by capt14k »

qz2026 wrote:
capt14k wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:47 am There is a designation in the stamping that PW bought it from Turkey. Turkey is the only country that would use M38 designation for a 8mm Mauser.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I think the correct statement is that the importer would be the only one to use the M38 designation. But you are probably right. I had a 1954 ATF that had the same import stamp and goofy stamping on the receiver rail.
Untitled.png
So, I will have to conclude that this was some sort of Turk that was bubba'd at some point, I am just perplexed that there is not one indication on the gun that would indicate it was from the middle east. Other than a crest usually the sight blade gives it away. Of course sight blades can be replaced.
Exactly. Sight blade may have been replaced. Same for stock. Then receiver could have been scrubbed, restamped, and refinished.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk