Old habits

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
steelbuttplate

Old habits

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm thinking about 42 yrs. ago was the last time I had this welding helmet on. I welded a little now and then fabricating culvert bands, but not much. I'm a rusty Iron man. I remember how, just a little practice and a 220 outlet and I'm in the metal repair business for under $600. No boss man this time yelling " You boys get that conveyor running by dark or don't come back tomorrow". I might enjoy this hmmm.
The whatnots in the floor, is just to get your eyes open and stimulate your brain. Feed your mind. :shifty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Old habits

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Old Ford wrench, shoemaker tools, T handle wrench, scale, You want more of that shit let me know, I have a lot of it. Whole bag of Ford wrenches out in the shed that are multiples of the ones I have in my Ford's. People keep buying them for me at flea markets back when we had them, thinking I must need one. They made millions and millions of Model T's, all with tool kits, they ain't rare. For some unknown reason shoemaker tools show up in the scrap regularly, this area never had a shoe making industry. Nice Lincoln welder, that's a US made one, now it's all Chinesium shit, the stolen Pepperidge Farm dolly is a nice touch, better watch out they don't come to collect that. I hear they have thugs on the payroll for just that reason. They make some goooooood cookies, give them back that dolly so they can roll out another batch of the good stuff. A real welder makes his own carts and dollys anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

They don't want this dolly back, it was laying in the median US 74 in Haywood Co. Peppridge farm littered US 74 with a donut cart. I could have had the Highway Patrol deal with it, but then it would have ended up in a state troopers basement. I've used this same model welder before, it will burn a 3/16 real good, that will do fine.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Hey that's cool and this will be a good hobby for you. Heck you could even make some sculptures and sell them.

Maybe make an Alien and Predator...... Yeah that's me flipping them the bird. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Start fabricating Jeep CJ frames and shipping them north. Some other suggestions would be Ford Ranger, square body Ford full size pickups, Pretty much every Japanese truck 1960's-2000's Frames. Go cart frames, roll cages, push bumpers, truck cab repair , hit proof mailbox's, vehicle armor. One welder I know made his own heavy duty press, and anvil, I got them when he retired. Custom heavy steel truck flatbeds, or you can come up and weld a new rear frame on my 1989 Dodge W350. Endless jobs for a good welder in rust country, note I said good.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
Someone, needs a larger set of bottles for that Oxy/Act setup. Those are cute.....
A rosebud tip would suck those dry in less than 3 mins. Yet, that's a start... :chain:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

boltaction wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 am Hello,
Someone, needs a larger set of bottles for that Oxy/Act setup. Those are cute.....
A rosebud tip would suck those dry in less than 3 mins. Yet, that's a start... :chain:
Yea they don't last long. I was able to cut all the security bars for two doors and a window in my shop before the first acetylene ran out. I don't think I need to rosebud anything, I got an extra small bottle, I may do that for oxys too. I remember the full oxy bottles weighed over 200 lbs. I better not mess with those anymore, might be some screws or rods come flying out of my back.
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
Yes, "K" bottles are heavy 115-130lbs(the highest pressure, tall 249cuft.ones)empty but, they make medium sized bottles and other various smaller sizes.
Here is a tip... Go too your local scrap yard, they can't put high pressure bottles into the scrap metal bins because of their mass(will damage crushing and shreading equipment), they separate them out. So they will sell you them at scrap metal prices. You can buy an lg. $250 bottle for about $30.(or smaller sizes for less) You may need to get it pressure tested and a current tested stamp. But, you make out in the long run because of less refill service charges.
I get where your coming from with an injured back, L3 through L5 disc are shot in my back. But, that's the delivery guys back is for; unloading them...You just have to roll then too the bottle stand, that's if they have delivery service. Yet, they should load them up into your vehicle for you if no delivery service.
Oh, and the one metal piece with the semi-circle casting looks like a swag block but isn't. That's the only one I'm stumped on....
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

JYD didn't name that piece either. I think it's a cigar rest. I wonder would he want to buy it ?