Work bought me a nice Model 12

Everything shotgun discussed here.
entropy

Work bought me a nice Model 12

Post by entropy »

We have been getting $300 bonuses quarterly, probably for having to deal with all the extra crap COVID has caused. So although I don't get the 4th quarter one until Dec.24, I couldn't take the chance that this would stay in the shop that long:
Model 12 1960.jpg
I put it on layaway immediately, and then went back this last paycheck and picked it up.

It was made in 1960, and was a safe queen. A guy came in and sold about 6 shotguns, there was a beat-up Model 12 from the 50's, and a really bad (cosmetically) Model 97. Both Model 12's were $300, The 97, $200. I have always wanted both models, and I almost bought the 97, always wanted to make a 20" HD gun from one, but my Ithaca 37 does more than an adequate job. I have some gunked up varnish that used to be oil to clean out of there, and I'd like to touch up the stock and forearm with some tung oil, but this one hasn't been abused, everything is original.

It will be my Vintage Shoot Trap gun, and might go pheasant hunting with me also, but I'm still working on a Sauer 16 ga. SxS for that. The gun is waiting for me, maybe that stimulus check will come in handy. I paid off my Ljutic with the last one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Work bought me a nice Model 12

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Congratulations on Model 12. That's a very good price. I still see some around here but most are worn or refinished and overpriced. The value on them took a hit when they started letting people build and bring "custom" shotguns to shooting matches years ago.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$1200 with a box of ammo today, so long as it fires the buyer won't give a shit how it looks. That's the sort of market we have here right now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Very nice scattergun!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Dang nice. That doesn’t look like the standard edition wood. Gotta be a deluxe model? 2 thumbs up on that one
entropy

Post by entropy »

Update:
Since Congress gave me some money, I thought it only fit that I buy a gun with it. I got that Sauer 16 ga SxS also:
My pics are too big to post, so I'll describe it:
It is light, I doubt it reaches 6# loaded. It has Greener crossbolt, and underlug, double triggers, very slight pistol grip, almost a straight stock. 29 3/16" barrels (75 cm), F&F, it is chambered 65mm. (2 9/16" or 2 1/2. I bought some 2 1/2" RST shells tonight, a flat. Should hold me a long time.) I bought it from a guy in my Trap league, he's on Guns International, buys restores, and sells old doubles and other guns that interest him. I shot it this summer, it raps ya pretty good, I won't be shooting a lot of Trap or Sporting Clays with it.

This one is similar, but not the same as mine;
Sauer 16 not mine.jpg
It's closer to this, but more patina, and a metal trigger guard instead of horn:
J-P-Sauer-Side-by-Side-16-Ga_101415737_326_5CC3C100B24B9977.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis