Ammo collecting/preservation

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
House Beagle

Ammo collecting/preservation

Post by House Beagle »

What is the best way to preserve collectible/old ammo while not harming its “collectibility” so to say? I’m starting to get a pretty good collection of older military cartridges, some in box, most loose. I recently noticed my 40’s dated 54r on clips is starting to corrode on the case as well as corrosion starting on the primers. Any advice is greatly appreciated and sorry if this has already been covered in a previous post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ammo collecting/preservation

Post by millman »

The corrosion on the ammo with clips could be the result of dissimilar metals. The steel clip, and the brass case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

Interesting, I’ve heard of that but it never crossed my mind in this instance. I’ll make sure to take them out of the clips.

I’m also seeing corrosion where the bullet seats into the case. I would assume this is the same problem (bullet jacket is a different metal than the case)

In general, do desiccants help slow down the corrosion process?

Also, is there an acceptable way to clean off any corroded ammo once it has begun?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I would think that humidity would make a difference , but that is just speculation. I haven't seen the issue with sealed cases. Although it may happen.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Evil Eddy 1B

Post by Evil Eddy 1B »

Hello , I have been actively collecting ammo cartridge's since 2007. If you plan on keeping them in a can , put some dessicant in with them but put dessicant in a plastic bag and leave in open. Sometimes dessicant bag will cause corrosion as it is absorbing and touching at same time. Also since you probably already have some that mean something to you , you could separate from each other by plastic bag or tube. Tube will contain corrosive gases if it goes bad and will not effect all there. Corrosion likes common company. I also gently wipe down my projectiles and cases with a microcrystalline was that provides that barrier. Some people use saniwax but I could never find it so I got some Renaissance was that was specifically made for it's use in museums. It can be used on leather, wood , cloth, paper, lead , brass, steel and so on . Pretty much everything.
I store all mine in a flat file cabinet aka a map or blue print cabinet. With single sided corrugated cardboard so they have a little channel to rest in and don't roll around. None of what I am telling you is my idea. Everything , everything in guidance and identification can be found at the cartridge collectors.net maybe org. Known as the International Ammo Association. Have fun and don't spend to much money. If you see something you might not ever have the chance again or you will see thousands and bite you tongue. Stripper clips have been ok for me but they do scratch the headstamp and case and if you want to oggle over them the damage will persue. I used to but not anymore. Put up some pictures it doesn't matter how many you have or condition as I just like to see other stuff.
IMG_20201010_203931774.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Evil Eddy 1B

Post by Evil Eddy 1B »

Also a couple more tidbits if you like them all got for it. If you want to focus on one or a few then it's up to you , just enjoy it and know that you preserving a little bit of history and learning also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge Mr. Evil, and that is a very impressive collection you have!

My collection is definitely not near as exotic as yours but I did include a few pictures of some of my more interesting pieces. Some 8x57 M88 (.318”) in a G88 clip, dated 1902 I think. A 30-1903 round made into a dummy round, dated 1904. Some 41 Swiss, a 41 and 38 rimfire. A 45acp birdshot round, I think these were issued in survival kits during WW2.

I’ve got some older ammo in boxes too but it’s all pretty basic stuff, some Finnish 7.62x54, some German WW2 9mm Luger, stuff like that.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice ammo collection. I keep filling old cigar box's with oddball ammo I find. Last year somebody gave me a small ammo collection, it was already in a cigar box.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt