Chinese SKS question

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Sonny

Chinese SKS question

Post by Sonny »

Did the Chinese ever put a date stamp (year) on thier SKS rifles? :vconfused:

I think the answer is no but you guys know a lot more than I do about these guns.
steelbuttplate

Re: Chinese SKS question

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've never seen one.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:23 pm I've never seen one.
Yeah thanks that's what I thought too. I just hate getting into it with someone when I'm only 90% sure that I'm right. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Like serial numbering more than the receiver, dates on rifles are a European thing. We might put something like " model of 1903" on a rifle, but not so mush actual dates. Like it matters to the soldier firing it if the rifle was made in 1914, or 1944, it's almost as if they put dates on them because they knew collectors would love it a hundred years later.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Some of the very late made commercial rifles have a two digit date code. Seems like I've seen '88 through '90, at least.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

CavemanSteve wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:35 am Some of the very late made commercial rifles have a two digit date code. Seems like I've seen '88 through '90, at least.
Ok... some guy said to me that he had a Chinese SKS that was made in 197? (forgot what year he said) and that it had a date stamp on it to prove it.

I didn't believe him but maybe he was right. :vconfused:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

See if you can find out here. https://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Ive never seen a date from the 70's. Only late 80' and early 90's. Id call bs to the 70's date being stamped.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

millman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:33 am See if you can find out here. https://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm
That link is certainly the best resource on the SKS rifles that I have seen. It it ain't there, it is probably just another unknown.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:33 am See if you can find out here. https://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm
Perhaps the most difficult to accurately figure out as it is not stamped anywhere on the weapon

And there we have it............... thanks millman. :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You're welcome. That is a good site, and some of those guys listed there have HUUGGEE collections.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis