Remington M91 receiver

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
Evil Eddy 1B

Remington M91 receiver

Post by Evil Eddy 1B »

I have always been against altering any piece of history but if it is acquired in that condition then it is what it is. In this case I purchased a stripped Remington M91 receiver. Despite being able to put a reproduction M91 together, is there any other rifle I could make ? As noted on the site the threads are 16 tpi and I have a 1919A4 machine gun bbl that is 16 tpi but apparently thread pitch is different as they don't fit snug. I don't imagine finding a 30-06 bannerman bolt would be to terribly difficult. But of course with my skills it would probably turn into a Houston Khyber Pass frankenrifle. Also the consequences could be deadly on my end too.
Any ideas out there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remington M91 receiver

Post by millman »

I'd use it for a paperweight.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It sounds like more trouble than just buying another shooter.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Evil Eddy 1B

Post by Evil Eddy 1B »

Yea that is pretty much what I was thinking. Terribly cost prohibitive and not to mention the time to get it right. Thanks y'all !
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Evil Eddy 1B wrote:Yea that is pretty much what I was thinking. Terribly cost prohibitive and not to mention the time to get it right. Thanks y'all !
Barrel, $99.00
Stock set, $ 79
Bolt, $99.00
Magazine , $35.00
Trigger group, $95.00
OK we are about $425 for non matching..... :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That would look cool sitting on a shelf just the way it is. You don't see many Mosin receivers divorced from the barrel like that. Cost prohibitive to make a rifle out of it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Careful now. Some crusty old Finnish armorer might bust your door down and take that to fix up a nice M39 for target shooting! :tongue:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Evil Eddy 1B wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:49 am I don't imagine finding a 30-06 bannerman bolt would be to terribly difficult.
In your dreams. :chuckles: It's getting harder and harder to find a Bannerman (complete) these days. not to mention a bolt. I have never seen a Bannerman bolt for sale. Not to mention the costs of machining that barrel to work with 30-06.

What you have is parts someone might buy from you because they are desperate and have a need for them.

Darryl
Mt203

Post by Mt203 »

I'm actually going through this now, I found a really nice round receiver 91/30 with a fantastic bore, but someone had chopped it to 23" and put it in a sporter stock with one of those drop into rear sight scout mounts. I got it for real cheap thinking, oh I can at least turn this into a 91/59 style that I don't feel bad about shooting. Well finding a m38 front sight base has been impossible. So I looked at the m27 front sight set up, turns out it's 3 pieces. Piece 1 (winged base) is easy to find, piece 3 (sight blade) is easy to find, piece 2 (dovetail base for blade) non-existent. So I looked to the m39, i can find the sight blade and base, the adjustment screws are impossible. So I'm at a loss as to what to do. I will not put anything on it that wasn't on a Mosin at some point, but the weirdest little parts are missing from the internet, so good luck, 90% of it will be fairly easy, 10% impossible.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

This is way out of the scope of this forum. This is a preservation forum. The consensus of the earlier answers was leave them as parts. I would imagine that advice still stands. I still think that receiver would be a cool paper weight.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis