Finnish Triggers?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ffuries

Finnish Triggers?

Post by ffuries »

Reading up on the M24 Lotta Rifle and on Finnish Mosin Nagants in general. I know the Fins designed a "Jam Free" magazine, my 1927 Tikkakoski M91 has one, but not my M24.

I know most (Don't know if all did) M24s had the "Trigger Return Spring", mine doesn't. But in my reading they refer to an Finnish Enhanced Trigger. Does this refer to the Spring or was there more done to the trigger?

Also I see after market Springs for sale with a washer. Does the washer need to be installed? Or could I just install the Spring like the Fins did?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Finnish Triggers?

Post by Darryl »

No, way more then just a "spring". The Fin triggers were polished and modded. The spring only removes the "slack" which really does very little for the "pull".
M28trigger2_small.JPG

The "finn trigger" that was really different came after the M24.

These triggers started in some M27 and M28, but were used a lot on the M39's
Heavy Polished in the right places.

Russian Trigger
Russian_trigger.jpg

Finn M39 trigger.
Notice the two pins going through it near the top. Above the pivot pin hole which is larger.
This made the pull lighter and much better.
Some people will add them to their regular Mosins to make the pull better.
M27Skitrigger3_small.JPG
Different view of the trigger so you can see the two pins
M39 trigger
M39trigger4.JPG

Mod1
triggermod1.jpg

Mod2
triggermod2.jpg

Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

My M24 has a regular trigger with no return spring.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

This came out of my 28-30...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:56 am This came out of my 28-30...
That has the "improved" Finn trigger plus a spring.

Darryl
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Cautionary Note:

Don't modify your trigger. You may end up injured because you screwed it up.

It could be very dangerous to do that type of work on your own!!!

this is informational only.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Basically (I think) the two pins make the trigger into a two stage trigger. One pin removes the "slack" that the spring used to. The second pin make the pull easier and faster.

So it's kind of a two stage trigger. I'm not sure you really need a "spring" with the M39 style trigger.

Dolk
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

dolk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:25 pm Cautionary Note:

Don't modify your trigger. You may end up injured because you screwed it up.

It could be very dangerous to do that type of work on your own!!!

this is informational only.

Dolk
Trust me I won't be modifying anything. Was just curious about the trigger return spring and the enhanced trigger.

I'll have to look at my trigger in my M24 and see if it's been worked. I know there is no return spring, and didn't know if all M24s had them or not.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Mine had no mods to it either.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Mine (early SIG) has no spring.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Trigger from Finn M91 PL marked. What's the purpose of the smaller hole?
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Just looked at my 1927 Tikkakoski step barrel and the trigger has two holes like the above one does. Haven't broke the M24 down yet to look at the trigger on it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

ffuries wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:57 pm Just looked at my 1927 Tikkakoski step barrel and the trigger has two holes like the above one does. Haven't broke the M24 down yet to look at the trigger on it.
If it is a "Finn" trigger, the two holes will have a small "pin" running through them also. Not just holes. If it does, it has the "better" trigger in it.

I need to get out in the garage and look around. I think I have about 6 of those "better" triggers I bought years ago> If you want to make your Mosin work a lot better, it is a non-distructive way of doing it and is reversible by just removing the trigger pin and spring screw and replacing the original trigger back on it.

I have a refurbished M38 that I take everywhere when I go shooting. It has a Finn trigger in it. The original is in a baby food jar in the garage and labeled. Makes a huge difference to me.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

dolk wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:17 pm
ffuries wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:57 pm Just looked at my 1927 Tikkakoski step barrel and the trigger has two holes like the above one does. Haven't broke the M24 down yet to look at the trigger on it.
If it is a "Finn" trigger, the two holes will have a small "pin" running through them also. Not just holes. If it does, it has the "better" trigger in it.

I need to get out in the garage and look around. I think I have about 6 of those "better" triggers I bought years ago> If you want to make your Mosin work a lot better, it is a non-distructive way of doing it and is reversible by just removing the trigger pin and spring screw and replacing the original trigger back on it.

I have a refurbished M38 that I take everywhere when I go shooting. It has a Finn trigger in it. The original is in a baby food jar in the garage and labeled. Makes a huge difference to me.

Darryl
No extra pin on the 27 Tikkakoski, just the extra hole. Still need to look at the M24.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member