I believe in the right to arm bears.
MeatMarket

Re: Hunting Log

Post by MeatMarket »

South Carolina
19 September 2016
5:20pm - 7:50pm
Mixed deciduous forest, semi clear

Partly cloudy skies, 88 degrees, occasional light breeze from the west. Waning gibbous moon.

Initial observations: Nothing making noise except the cicadas and a lonely crow singing the blues. As I write this, a couple songbirds trill and tweet off in the woods. It's pretty calm out here.

6:00pm: there is definitely something to the northeast in the direction of the bed down areas.

6:10pm: a very angry crow is quorking south of me.

6:26pm: lots of birds moved into my area and are making their noises

6:35pm: everything has died down again

6:50pm: I notice a fat squirrel climbing down a tree about 20 yards east. He goes to the far side of the tree so I can't see him. I make some clicking noises trying to imitate a squirrel and he comes around to my side of the tree for a look. He is now at ease and begins digging around the tree for nuts. I make a mental note of this for future squirrel hunting.

7:24pm: the woods are stifling this evening. I imagine the deer are lying low till it gets cooler tonight

7:50pm: Nothing today
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

South Carolina
07 December 2016
7:00am - 5:20pm
Mixed deciduous forest

Overcast skies, 48-64 degrees throughout the day, hardly any wind. 7 days since the new moon.

Initial observations: the ground is wet from the last three days of rain. I'll do some stalking today. There is an abundance of squirrels and crows this morning. I have been out of the woods for the last two months as I just got married and have settled into a new work life balance. The woods were calling so I took the day off to hunt.

Post-hunt reflections: I started in my stand until about 9:00am when I climbed down and began moving on foot. I found many bed-down areas where I expected them to be with fresh tracks and three fresh tree rubs. All the deer probably got up and headed out before dawn because I didn't see anything all day. I made my way back to my stand about 4:00pm where I remained until sundown. As soon as I climbed down I saw the silhouette of a deer just in the wood line about 60yds west of me. It was too dim to see clearly by then and even when I raised my scope I couldn't be sure it wasn't a trick of the light until I clicked my tongue to get a response and it flashed its tail and ran off. Better luck next time.

When I got home I found a possum in my trap. I had been trying to trap a coon I saw going under the house before. Oh well, I'll make do with this possum. I now have its fur stretching and drying and its meat in the bottom of my freezer (it looks just like a coon once the skin is off). I'll cook him up sometime soon and let y'all know how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The only time I see a possum it's chunks of meat scattered all over the road with a rat tail to identify the remains. Coon's I see every morning and evening when they come out to see me about food. The deer are out there, they are hiding a bit more now that the seasons under way, they can still be found just outside my door, I encourage that with piles of stale bread, you never know when I might need some fresh meat in some emergency.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

A cold North Carolina morning,Dec. 4, 28 when I left home. Barometric pressure 30.06. Good sign. Typical river valley fog, clear and frosty up out of the valleys. 6:45 I start in the woods, when I get to my stand I move it about 75 yrds, and I am up in it in new spot in 10 minutes. 7:05 light enough to see gunsights. 7:20 I hear a deer walking and it quits. I bleat, and I drop the last 3 drops of my Tinks 69 on leaves below my stand. 7:35 he walks right under me on the left side and stops. I switch into predator mode and lay my finger on the safety. 7:37 he starts a slow sneaking off walk that breaks into a trot in a few feet. As he picks up speed I'm following with the thump gun, when the sight hits front shoulder BAM. He rolls right and plows in, never moves again. I didn't even get excited. Old age, shot nerves, I just set there calmly and thanked the Lord for what just happened. Then it hits me I don't have any help, or cell service, and no hand truck. 10:15 I arrive at my truck with the deer. Thats a good kind of tired.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Indeed it is. I have assisted one of the guys in my Hunting Club with his nice sized doe this year and my regular shooting partner got a goose this morning. I haven't seen anything in range except when it's out of season or after nightfall. :angry4:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:47 am An owl woke me at around 3:45 this morning, I spotted a deer last night at dusk, probably 7:45 or so, it was eating not far from my door. Mother raccoon and her half grown babies paid me a visit around 10pm last night when they polished off the remaining cat food outside.
I've had to start putting panties on my chickens at night cause of them damn things.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"