New user, New Mosin, unsure of date or manufacturer AZF + [SA] Hex M91.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ffuries

Re: New user, New Mosin, unsure of date or manufacturer AZF + [SA] Hex M91.

Post by ffuries »

KoboldBlackpaw wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:05 pm
qz2026 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:14 pm I didn't see a picture of the entire rifle so I cannot comment on if the forestock has been cut off. From the pictures it's possible though. Why someone would do that is beyond me. It is not uncommon to see M-91's without a hand guard. Don't think you can get them anymore for under $150 and it likely wouldn't match anyway.

Remington :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Nice gun BTW. I'm sure if she could talk, she'd have some good stories to tell.
That last photo I posted (the splice and some of the barrel) should show what I'm talking about. I'm assuming someone took a hacksaw to it, though no I don't have a top handguard piece either. Or barrel bands. Or anything really :cry:
OK, now I see it, it looks like the last 17 inches of the stock is missing. Looks like someone cut it right around where the rear barrel band goes. That sucks, M91 stocks aren't the easiest to find.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
KoboldBlackpaw

Post by KoboldBlackpaw »

ffuries wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:48 pm
KoboldBlackpaw wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:05 pm
qz2026 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:14 pm I didn't see a picture of the entire rifle so I cannot comment on if the forestock has been cut off. From the pictures it's possible though. Why someone would do that is beyond me. It is not uncommon to see M-91's without a hand guard. Don't think you can get them anymore for under $150 and it likely wouldn't match anyway.

Remington :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Nice gun BTW. I'm sure if she could talk, she'd have some good stories to tell.
That last photo I posted (the splice and some of the barrel) should show what I'm talking about. I'm assuming someone took a hacksaw to it, though no I don't have a top handguard piece either. Or barrel bands. Or anything really :cry:
OK, now I see it, it looks like the last 17 inches of the stock is missing. Looks like someone cut it right around where the rear barrel band goes. That sucks, M91 stocks aren't the easiest to find.
Aye, sure seems that way. Ah well, she can still shoot as is, I'm sure! Just gotta be careful where I touch her :P It's a shame someone would do that, but I suppose it's a part of her history, no need to change it.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Bubba had plans and never finished it, shame on one hand, but thank god he didn't cut the barrel and such.

You'll need a M91 stock, two M91 barrel bands, and a M91 cleaning rod. Hunt ebay, gunbroker, and gunsamerica for the stock and cleaning rod (I found a M91 rod for $30.00 on ebay recently for my M24) , barrel bands Libertytreecollectors might have them.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
KoboldBlackpaw

Post by KoboldBlackpaw »

I'm actually planning on finding a broken M91 stock that I can use to splice so I can keep it's original stock and preserve the history as much as possible while making shooting a bit safer.

Speaking of shooting it - what is the D for anyways? I know it means they rechambered it, but what is the D-166 round exactly? And is it safe to shoot standard milsurp Soviet rounds out of it (just bought a case of LPS recently.)

Another question - what info is there about the Czechs and Austrians using these rifles, as my rifle tells me? There's a little info on the Austro's but all I can find about the rampant lion is "yeah Czech used it."
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

KoboldBlackpaw wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:22 pm I'm actually planning on finding a broken M91 stock that I can use to splice so I can keep it's original stock and preserve the history as much as possible while making shooting a bit safer.

Speaking of shooting it - what is the D for anyways? I know it means they rechambered it, but what is the D-166 round exactly? And is it safe to shoot standard milsurp Soviet rounds out of it (just bought a case of LPS recently.)

Another question - what info is there about the Czechs and Austrians using these rifles, as my rifle tells me? There's a little info on the Austro's but all I can find about the rampant lion is "yeah Czech used it."
Austrian captured/acquired M91 Mosin Nagants were sent to numerous countries to include Czechoslovakia as reparations in the 1920's, in turn Finland purchased M91's from several countries starting in the 1920's to include Czechoslovakia in the 1930's.

So from Russia, to Austria, to Czechoslovakia, to Finland what a journey this rifle has had. For more precise information see below link.

http://hungariae.com/Mosi91.htm
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
KoboldBlackpaw

Post by KoboldBlackpaw »

ffuries wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Austrian captured/acquired M91 Mosin Nagants were sent to numerous countries to include Czechoslovakia as reparations in the 1920's, in turn Finland purchased M91's from several countries starting in the 1920's to include Czechoslovakia in the 1930's.

So from Russia, to Austria, to Czechoslovakia, to Finland what a journey this rifle has had. For more precise information see below link.

http://hungariae.com/Mosi91.htm
Oh, thank you! That's awesome to learn it's probable journey. I'm so excited to have such a piece of history. Multitudes of wars.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Butchered sporter by the look of it. There's some strange stuff on this post! $150 parts gun maybe? Bill :o
KoboldBlackpaw

Post by KoboldBlackpaw »

zeebill wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:13 am Butchered sporter by the look of it. There's some strange stuff on this post! $150 parts gun maybe? Bill :o
Luckily not a completed sporter. Either that or the stock broke and they were trying to do what I'm going to do to fix it. Hopefully I can find a busted stock someone is willing to sell me.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Once a rifle is started on the road to a sporter it is flat too much money, time, and parts these days to bother and try at replace the offended parts with unbutchered parts. From a conservative point of view this is especially true with an M91. An M91/30 is more possible to try and repair and make more like it was issued. It when brought more toward normal issue condition will never have a true history anymore to most collectors. I will sometimes buy them for less than $100 for some of the reusable parts that remain unmessed with.

Another thing with sporters is the bubba's who make them freely trade parts and rarely recheck the resultant head space and other clearances they end up with. This can make a ticking time bomb to the new owners. 90% of the bad Mosin head spaces I find are on sporters some Bubba threw together for resale. At least most of the refurbs are safe and good shooters at higher prices these days with the market but at least safe to shoot after safety checking.

Actual prices of available Mosins these days is quite mind boggling as most times I can buy a Finnish Mosin for less money than a refurbished 91/30 Mosin. My taste goes toward a usually better shooting Mosin than a refurbed parts rifle 91/30 any day but others think different these days. To each their own I guess!!! Bill :lol:
KoboldBlackpaw

Post by KoboldBlackpaw »

I mostly am interested in making it shootable without worrying about burning my hand off. The stock is thankfully the only part messed with. I also don't really plan on selling it as I find the history behind it absolutely fascinating, and for a 100$ gun from an auction it now has history with me. While I know something is only original once, I would hate to hang it up in the rack and never shoot it because of safety and wear. Clean it up enough to make safe and a little prettier, and keep it, is what I would like to do.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If it passes headspace, it should be safe to shoot. Shoot it and enjoy it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

millman wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:31 pm If it passes headspace, it should be safe to shoot. Shoot it and enjoy it.
Gee without a decent overall picture and only checking head space you safety check it over line statement from a new collector. You are sure he knows enough to do that and ok it online too. Not my head and eyes so Good Luck! Quite a cavalier approach? Bill :o
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

So Bill, it sounds like you have seen a lot of exploding milsurps in your long and impressive collecting life. I haven't been at it nearly as long, which is probably why I've never seen it happen, except for the occasional over-loaded, over-pressured hand loaded ammunition.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

bunkysdad wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:50 pm So Bill, it sounds like you have seen a lot of exploding milsurps in your long and impressive collecting life. I haven't been at it nearly as long, which is probably why I've never seen it happen, except for the occasional over-loaded, over-pressured hand loaded ammunition.
So lets find out this, would it take you over one to be impressed enough to check your rifles closer? If it does I wish you luck in the future and no I will not be sharing your rifles Thank You! :o Bill
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Did Zeebill get banned for disagreeing over the safety check of a rifle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

As for the parts I regularly have them but they aren't cheap.

Stock = $125
Handguard = $125
Barrel Bands = $40
Front Hanger = $25
Front Escutcheon = $10
Cleaning Rod = $50

Total $375.

It's definitely cheaper to buy a M91 complete but it's always nice to rescue one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KoboldBlackpaw

Post by KoboldBlackpaw »

Jeez this place sure took a turn! As for parts I'm just looking for a broken stock I can fit up. I doubt one will come up but it would be nice to save as much of the original as possible. When I say safe to shoot, too, I more mean knowing it's safe to shoot but not being able to accidentally grip the barrel, and having more of a stock to use. Handguard doesn't bother me too much, it's all parts I can find *eventually*.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

KoboldBlackpaw wrote:Jeez this place sure took a turn! As for parts I'm just looking for a broken stock I can fit up. I doubt one will come up but it would be nice to save as much of the original as possible. When I say safe to shoot, too, I more mean knowing it's safe to shoot but not being able to accidentally grip the barrel, and having more of a stock to use. Handguard doesn't bother me too much, it's all parts I can find *eventually*.
I can bring in a broken stock if you are interested. Cracked at the tang. That would be about half the price plus shipping.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

KoboldBlackpaw

Post by KoboldBlackpaw »

capt14k wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:23 pm
KoboldBlackpaw wrote:Jeez this place sure took a turn! As for parts I'm just looking for a broken stock I can fit up. I doubt one will come up but it would be nice to save as much of the original as possible. When I say safe to shoot, too, I more mean knowing it's safe to shoot but not being able to accidentally grip the barrel, and having more of a stock to use. Handguard doesn't bother me too much, it's all parts I can find *eventually*.
I can bring in a broken stock if you are interested. Cracked at the tang. That would be about half the price plus shipping.

If it would work for splicing into this stock I would definitely be interested, so long as the forend is intact. If you have the same Finnish swing swivel I would also be interested in that.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

KoboldBlackpaw wrote:
capt14k wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:23 pm

If it would work for splicing into this stock I would definitely be interested, so long as the forend is intact. If you have the same Finnish swing swivel I would also be interested in that.
I only have a complete sling swivel set currently (front and rear), but I can see about getting just some fronts. Others have asked too. I should have stocks in February.