WASR 10

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Re: WASR 10

Post by ffuries »

Leather Romanian sling and the cleaning rod showed up today. Sling is in pretty damn good shape for being used military surplus (Although the picture on the site showed a sling keeper, it didn't come with one. I'll send them an email and ask, but for $4.95 I'm not going to make a big issue over it), the cleaning rod had a very small bow at the barrel end. Figured out that is caused by putting the damn thing on and taking it off. Other wise it looked new.

Looks better now the sling and cleaning rod are on it. Still thinking of getting replacememt furniture for it, and getting the buttstock with the cleaning kit trapdoor on it. Figured if I went with a little darker finish on it, she'd look a lot better. Debating on the pistol grip, maybe replacing it with something more authentic also (Whatever an authentic one would look like).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice rifle with great looking furniture and accessories. I have an AK clone and it's good, but it doesn't look as good as yours because it's all black.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tjtM38 wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice rifle with great looking furniture and accessories. I have an AK clone and it's good, but it doesn't look as good as yours because it's all black.
I like it a lot so far, just want it to look more traditional, darker stock, trapdoor etc. I'll keep the original furniture as is, and put it off to the side. It'll be sold with the gun as a package deal when I get too old to play with them or kick the bucket, which ever comes first. Unless one of our yard-apes inherits it.

Somewhere in all my totes full of military crap I've got a Romanian helmet and some other Romanian field gear that would make an awesome display with this. Maybe after we are finished with the "Hurricane Michael" repairs I'll do a display.

We've got $1000.00 in drywall being delivered tomorrow, so some more repairs will start soon.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy »

I bought my WASR 10 in 2008 just prior to the election, never had any problems with it.
Everything is straight - gas system, sights. Magazines fit just fine.
I've put a few hundred rounds through it in the last 10 years, right now she's in my closet, one 30 round mag inserted and 7 more loaded mags right next to it.
If I need more than 240 rounds to solve a problem, I'm in a world of hurt to begin with.

Oh, I don't know what they cost today, but in '08 when I got mine at my local Ace Hardware it cost $319 + tax, and included sling, bayonet, 2 magazines, combination tool.
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

rice paddy daddy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:31 pm I bought my WASR 10 in 2008 just prior to the election, never had any problems with it.
Everything is straight - gas system, sights. Magazines fit just fine.
I've put a few hundred rounds through it in the last 10 years, right now she's in my closet, one 30 round mag inserted and 7 more loaded mags right next to it.
If I need more than 240 rounds to solve a problem, I'm in a world of hurt to begin with.

Oh, I don't know what they cost today, but in '08 when I got mine at my local Ace Hardware it cost $319 + tax, and included sling, bayonet, 2 magazines, combination tool.
With all the fees (shipping, tax, transfer, etc) mine came to $762.00. Guess that's the price of getting into buying and collecting guns late.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Gregthejeepdriver

Post by Gregthejeepdriver »

I've a wasr gp 10/63 ,with the ak-74 muzzlebreak attached.
With the better trigger group and the added brake it's plenty accurate for hunting.For a clunky ,(I paid 489 clams for it)with two 30 round mags,I'm impressed with it.I know it's bottom barrel,but yours is much nicer looking than mine.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Gregthejeepdriver wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:28 pm I've a wasr gp 10/63 ,with the ak-74 muzzlebreak attached.
With the better trigger group and the added brake it's plenty accurate for hunting.For a clunky ,(I paid 489 clams for it)with two 30 round mags,I'm impressed with it.I know it's bottom barrel,but yours is much nicer looking than mine.
Here she is with her Romanian surplus furniture, looks like a right proper AKM now.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Gregthejeepdriver wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:28 pm I've a wasr gp 10/63 ,with the ak-74 muzzlebreak attached.
WASR aren't really bottom barrel though you usually only hear about canted sights which are pretty much aesthetic as long as it still zeros and that cheap furniture century puts on them. Bottom of the barrel would be a RAS47 or insert other Century/Riley AK here that don't live up to snuff. Though to be fair both are getting much better in QC.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

The pistol grip screw showed up today, along with buttstock rattle spring. So installed the spring along with the cleaning kit. Then swapped out the pistol grip and screw. Now she looks even more proper and authentic. Now if I can just find where the steel magazines (Somewhere I have or had 2 Romanian magazines) ended up at she'll look even better.

Pic 1 out the box
Pic 2 after adding cleaning rod and sling
Pic 3 after furniture swap
Pic 4 after pistol grip swap
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Lavitias wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 am
WASR aren't really bottom barrel though you usually only hear about canted sights which are pretty much aesthetic as long as it still zeros and that cheap furniture century puts on them. Bottom of the barrel would be a RAS47 or insert other Century/Riley AK here that don't live up to snuff. Though to be fair both are getting much better in QC.
Yeap, my sights weren't canted, also the chamber was clean, no metal shavings that some people complained of. In fact all the issues people have complained about I didn't have, with the exception of the soft wood used for the stock.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

I had a WASR 10 several years ago and if I had the chance to get another one I would. Mine was a great rifle and very accurate!
entropy

Post by entropy »

mogunner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:28 pm If you still get slap, swap in a Tapco trigger, I can vouch for those. Looks nice, I had all the tacticool stuff on mine but eventually went back to the blonde wood.
As can I; I put Tapco triggers in all my AMD-65 builds.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien