SVT 40

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

SVT 40

Post by djbuck1 »

I believe that these are getting harder to find (as with many milsurps), so I am happy to have finally picked one up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capt14k

Re: SVT 40

Post by capt14k »

Nice pickup. All mine have been Finn Capture too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Mine is a typical Soviet refurb, I don't think many of them came in either.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

It interesting. The stock looks like a typical SVT40 Russian refurbished stock. But the metal is diffidently Finn capture. Usually if it is Finn capture, the stock will look almost like an oil finish. Not shellac. I know they were shellac when they were new, but the bluing doesn't indicate a "new" rifle. I wonder if the Finn's replaced that stock on it some time. Perhaps an older rifle (metal) to a newer rifle (stock)? Interesting.

Still a very nice harder to find rifle! Beautiful!

Darryl
My favorite SVT video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQ5WK9sop8
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

First ones I saw were $125 to $100 each from Canada they said and Century was hawking them and could not give them away for that price. Somebody posted an advertisement of them for I think $34.95 or some such figure. That price predated me so God knows what that date was. The old saying was they're got to be a lot of them for that price. There are a lot in Canadian collector hands and although they are getting pricey up there they are still around. I had about a dozen at one time but they escalated in price so much I sold about 1/2 them of for money to buy other stuff. I never liked the finicky habits they had at the range and they just would not shoot that accurate for me. Of course back them many things about the ammo they liked or settings they worked at was not known completely. I still have maybe 6 or so and also an SVT38 in addition to the SVT40's and one with traits of a sniper model. They sit it the back row of a safe and rarely move other than for cleaning. I can shoot a half dozen bolt action Mosins more accurately and with less problem cleaning and bad behavior at the range so I really don't care much for them.

The majority of the ones I first saw from Canada and modified and shortened from Global looked to be Finnish captures. My SVT38 looks Finnish although unmarked. In retrospect to my experience if it occurred at todays prices I should have bought one (Maybe) and gone on to other things more enjoyable. We all have to live and learn through our own experiences so I understand why people have to have one or two of everything these days. So buy one if you must and learn what you can and maybe you'll get a good running one or find you like them. To each their own and these are just not my cup of tea. Oh by the way Joe and I have both shot a full auto version and found it neat but uselessly inaccurate with the muzzle all but uncontrollable. The look they have is about the best thing about them and bring one to a populated range and people flock over to see them. If that's your bag buy one for sure. Bill
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I agree with Bill I said have been since I sold all but one to have as an example. Horrible rifle to clean, finicky, not very accurate. I recommend getting the stainless piston and gas parts if you are going to shoot it. Stock does not look to be a Russian Refurb. Looks like stock I've seen on plenty of other Finn SVTs. Also seen lighter colored stocks too.

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

capt14k wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:09 am Stock does not look to be a Russian Refurb. Looks like stock I've seen on plenty of other Finn SVTs.
Here is 4 stocks of Finn captured SVT40's.
sct40 (4).jpg
sct40 (3).jpg
attachment=2]sct40 (2).jpg[/attachment]
sct40 (1).JPG
If you do a search for captured SVT40', you will see most of them have a dull finish to almost a "OIL" looking finish.

Also, "most" SVT40's are not bought for their shooting abilities. They are a "collectable" piece. They are as fun as hell to fire. Cleaning is not easy, but it's not so bad I wouldn't fire it. It's just not that bad to clean. Again, not as easy as a M91/30 Mosin, or any bolt rifle. But not that much harder to clean then a M1 Garand. You have to be careful when taking it apart and putting it together which is harder then a M1 Garand. If you want accuracy shooting, why are you buying any WWII rifle? There are rifles out now just as cheap and much better accuracy, so I discount that argument.

Problem I have with them is price. They are way too expensive. I'd much ratyher buy a M1 Garand then a SVT40. But, they are a Hell of a lot to hold on to when firing. Lots of fun.

They are a collectable rifle.

Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

People buy WWII rifles for accuracy shooting for as issued competitions.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

By far. Most SVT40's are collectables. Not competition shooting. Competition shooting is a very small niche for this rifle. If you poll this forum alone (or most forums), you will see most of them are in "collections". Why would you want to take a SVT40 into a historic rifle competition )shooting) against a M1 Garand.

Even the SVT40 you just posted shows worn shellac and on the butt looks almost dull .

My SVT40 (Finn Captured). My son has two of them also. I'll see if he will take a few photos of his.

To me, I think this SVT40 (originally posted) is a legit SVT40 Finn Captured and a very nice rifle. I'm just trying to resolve (in my mind) the difference between the good shellac stock and the heavy worn blueing on the metal. That is a difference anyone can see. But you know the Finn's, they have a lot of unanswered situations with their surplus weapons. This weapon is legit and a nice rifle to collect. Firing is fun, and cleaning is not imposible or horrible, just "involved".

Darryl
capt14k

SVT 40

Post by capt14k »

dolk wrote:By far. Most SVT40's are collectables. Not competition shooting. Competition shooting is a very small niche for this rifle. If you poll this forum alone (or most forums), you will see most of them are in "collections". Why would you want to take a SVT40 into a historic rifle competition )shooting) against a M1 Garand.

Even the SVT40 you just posted shows worn shellac and on the butt looks almost dull .

My SVT40 (Finn Captured). My son has two of them also. I'll see if he will take a few photos of his.

Response was to your initial statement about WWII rifles, but some use SVT-40 as a challenge because they win too easily with a AG42b, M1 Garand, or FN-49.

I show 3 different Finn Capture SVT-40 all 1941 one from each manufacturer. First one actually has mirror finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

To me, I think this SVT40 (originally posted) is a legit SVT40 Finn Captured and a very nice rifle. I'm just trying to resolve (in my mind) the difference between the good shellac stock and the heavy worn blueing on the metal. That is a difference anyone can see. But you know the Finn's, they have a lot of unanswered situations with their surplus weapons. This weapon is legit and a nice rifle to collect. Firing is fun, and cleaning is not imposible or horrible, just "involved".

Darryl
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

dolk wrote:To me, I think this SVT40 (originally posted) is a legit SVT40 Finn Captured and a very nice rifle. I'm just trying to resolve (in my mind) the difference between the good shellac stock and the heavy worn blueing on the metal. That is a difference anyone can see. But you know the Finn's, they have a lot of unanswered situations with their surplus weapons. This weapon is legit and a nice rifle to collect. Firing is fun, and cleaning is not imposible or horrible, just "involved".

Darryl
So we do agree, except I am not so sure that is shellac on the stock. Like I said the first one I pictured has a pretty good sheen to it, but does not have shellac. Maybe SVTs in inventory in 1973 also were given mirror shine treatment as per the Finnish Army Directive?

djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I will leave this to wiser minds to sort out, but it could also be a matter of a cheap camera, bright sunlight, a photo editing program where I was trying to work on clarity, and my own limitations. In real life, it's not glossy. Much more akin to the Guns International pics Darryl posted. To my eye, they have a reddish hue, and so does this one. Refurbed? Shellacked? Damned if I know.

As far as firing it goes, I would love to do that, and I have disassembled and cleaned enough weapons that I'm not daunted by that task. The problem, as always, is time.
Last edited by djbuck1 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

djbuck1 wrote:I will leave this to wiser minds to sort out, but it could also be a matter of a cheap camera, a photo editing program where I was trying to work on clarity, and my own limitations. In real life, it's not glossy. Much more akin to the Guns International pics Darryl posted.

As far as firing it goes, I would love to do that, and I have disassembled and cleaned enough weapons that I'm not daunted by that task. The problem, as always, is time.
Well mystery solved typical Finn SVT stock

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Nice rifle. :thumbsup:

And they are going up in price here too. A few years ago you could pick one up for $299.. I sold one last winter for $650 and now I see them advertised for $800- $900. :shock:
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Sonny wrote:Nice rifle. :thumbsup:

And they are going up in price here too. A few years ago you could pick one up for $299.. I sold one last winter for $650 and now I see them advertised for $800- $900. :shock:
But that is still Canadian Dollars correct?

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

capt14k wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Correct but I'm sure the price will keep going up and up and up but all rifles do don't they?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Sonny wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:17 pm
capt14k wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Correct but I'm sure the price will keep going up and up and up but all rifles do don't they?
That comment about all rifles going up in value is why we have so many new rifle collectors with little knowledge of what they are doing and much to learn. I immediately think back to when I started this insanity and the tough love and lessons I learned the hard way from old timers. Our government regulates and taxes just about everything we handle these days and they are trying like hell to get into collectable weapons with some success in some areas. Time and our ability to resist and find ways around their efforts will tell how they do. Bill :wink:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It looks to me like the bottom tier price here is getting up around $1500.00.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, I remember praying $1500 for mine back in the mid 90's, riiiiiiiiiight, and if you believe that I have a cool bridge to sell you. I should have bought the whole case of them, two or three cases, I remember several of them sitting on the gun shop rack for months before he dropped the price to move them. All Soviet refurbs like mine. Times have changed, and like usual not for the better.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt